Ares Games

Thread: Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 09 Scout with FE2 versus 3 C-types (from DOTF01)

Default Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 09 Scout with FE2 versus 3 C-types (from DOTF01)

We received a shipment of FE2s along with some greenies. The FEs were going to take over the duties that my little scout had so dutifully performed. I was somewhat resentful as I thought Huntress had performed admirably with 9 victories to date.

To get the new machines and the greenies up and running I was ordered to perform patrol duties with the rookies until they learned the ropes.
    The first draw was lieutenants Auandee and Bradley. Both men were friendly enough and eager to prove themselves.

I flew my scout to starboard of the big FE; she was twice the size of Huntress. It wasn’t long before we encountered a trio of Huns; two Albatros and a faster Aviatik. I said a silent prayer that my charges would survive their baptism of fire and signaled them to go in. Side-by-side we engaged the nearest aircraft, an Albatros, and fired as soon as we were within range.

Attachment 135252

Attachment 135253

Attachment 135254

The Albatros took evasive action shaking my rookie charges, but I stuck to them like glue.

Attachment 135255

Attachment 135256

Attachment 135257*1

Having flown past the first Albatros Auandee and Bradley started after the Aiviatik instead. Flying a faster machine they soon caught up to their prey and were rewarded when the Aviatik burst into flames. Meanwhile, I closed on the Albatros.

Attachment 135258

Attachment 135259

Attachment 135260

A final burst from my starboard gun and the Albatros was spiraling out of control.

Attachment 135261

It was most gratifying to see flames from the Hun – the pilot gun had done the trick when Jace’s gun jammed - and in a somewhat prideful moment I hoped that lieutenant Diamond had seen the fine work Jace and I were doing on the Aviatik. Once Jace cleared the jam he took over firing again only to have his gun seize up again.

“Bloody HELL!”

I still had some ammo and fired against only to have my pilot’s gun freeze up as well.

Attachment 135262

Fortunately, by then the fire had done its work and the Aviatik was going down in flames.

Attachment 135263

The remaining Hun machine, an Albatros, tried to shake us by ducking into the clouds, but we weren’t having any of that and reacquired him as he re-emerged.

Attachment 135264

Attachment 135265

Attachment 135266

As we closed Diamond came on from the front and we were having Hun sandwich.

Attachment 135267

Attachment 135268

Jace’s action soon told me his gun had jammed yet again

Attachment 135269 *2

It was then I decided to get ahead of the Hun to see if Jace would have better luck with the aft firing weapon.

I slammed my fist down on the worthless piece of crap then heard.

“Man the other gun Jace!”

Turning, I grabbed the aft facing Lewis and cocked her in one fluid motion. Chills racing down my spine I trained the gun as Conlen dipped our FE to give me a better shot.

Attachment 135270 *2

Smoke poured from the Albatros.

Rat-tat-tat-tat!

Attachment 135271

Rat-tat-tat-tat!

Attachment 135272

I could feel it, she was going down. I kept firing, and…

BOOM!

Attachment 135273

Seeing the last Albatros erupt in a fireball and the elation of the rookies I determined to take no credit in the last victory though I had clearly hit the Hun aircraft. To say the least I was impressed by their performance; they’d shown perseverance in the face of adversity and prevailed.

It was a somewhat melancholy flight back to base for me. The FE looked to be a superior aircraft; faster and with the multiple firing arcs deadly. It wouldn’t be long before my little Scout would be retired from the field. Still, I held out hope that some breakthrough would breathe new life into the type’s performance.

Butcher’s Bill

Charles Lewis Diamond / RTB / - / 1 Victory

Conlen Auandee & Jace Bradley / RTB / - / 2 Victories (shared)

Attachment 135274 *3

Grey Albatros Pilot / SD ET / WIA POW /
    Grey Albatros Observer / SD ET / KIA /

Attachment 135275

Blue Aviatik Pilot / SD ET / WIA POW /
    Blue Aviatik Observer / SD / KIA /

Attachment 135276

Brown Albatros Pilot / SD ET / KIA /
    Brown Albatros Observer / SD ET / KIA /

Attachment 135277

NOTES:
    I made a couple of mistakes: First, the attack made wasn’t possible as the gun hadn’t been reloaded yet. However, this had no effect on outcome as the Albatros would have still gone down; just one phase later than recorded in photo. Second, in the next two photos indicated by asterisks the Albatros could and did fire. I simply neglected to put the damage cards in the photos. But they do show up in the cumulative damage photo. Third, in the cumulative damage photo I switched the red jam card (1J); it should appear against the FE2. Forth, I forgot to add the +1 tokens to the photos.

Too distracted mentoring the rookies I guess.

Would the pilots gun be fixed arc?

Well done another top notch result for the debonair pilots.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Yes, the pilot gun is fixed so it would be like a normal fighter's firing arc.

Similar Missions

1. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 07 versus lone Gotha G.I (from OTT16)
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 19:47
  2. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 04 versus pair of Albatros C.I (from OTT12)
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 15:10
  3. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 03 versus pair of Aviatik C.I (from OTT12)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 13:40
  4. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 02 versus lone Albatros C.I (from FM11)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-31-2014, 18:09
  5. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 01 versus lone Albatros C.I (from FM03)
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 13:39