Ares Games

Thread: Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenarios 05 & 06 versus Balloon (from OTT#05 & BBpage14)

Default Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenarios 05 & 06 versus Balloon (from OTT#05 & BBpage14)

During the Battle for Loos I went on three consecutive balloon busting missions.

The first, armed with a single Lewis gun, ended in failure. I simply could not inflict enough damage on the balloon to take it down.

When it dipped low enough that I risked ground fire to get into range I broke off and returned home.

After getting my butt reamed the major for my failure I met with Sergeant Moulton.

Together with his team Moulton mounted a Lewis gun on the starboard side of Huntress. With twin Lewis gun I went into action.

Flying above the Hun guns I swooped down on the balloon getting into a nice circular pattern out of range of the Hun AA machine guns. Round and round I went scoring a good amount of damage to the beast while maintaining altitude.

Attachment 134859

Attachment 134860

Attachment 134861

Attachment 134862

When I started my first turn the Hun observer bailed out to safety.

Attachment 134863

Attachment 134864

Attachment 134865

Attachment 134866

After pulling an Imelman I fired once again; the balloon exploded. The turbulents from the fireball tossed Huntress around like a ragdoll, but under my forceful hands she steadied.

Attachment 134867

Ten days later I was again attacking another observation ballon. I approached the beast like I had in the previous mission. My first pass began well as flames erupted from the behemoth. Unfortunately my port gun jammed as well.

Attachment 134868

Attachment 134869

With the balloon in flames the observer bailed. Meanwhile, I un-jammed my port gun and pulled an Imelman strafing the balloon with my starboard gun causing additional flames to erupt from the beast.

Attachment 134870

Attachment 134871

Attachment 134872

I made one more pass to ensure the beast's destruction before breaking off.

Attachment 134873

The mortally wounded creature was totally engulfed in flames well before it hit the ground.

Butchers Bill:

Lt Charles Lewis Diamond (RFC) RTB / - / 2 Victories

1st Balloon Observer SD FT / - /

2nd Balloon Observer SD FT / - /

You may improve your chances by using Buckingham ammunition, ie incendiaries.
    "When a shot from an airplane carrying incendiary bullets inflicts smoke special damage on an enemy plane, the damage should be treated as fire instead. When incendiary
    fire causes engine damage, the target plane also takes a smoke damage result, with the usual effects.
    A balloon that takes a smoke, rudder jammed, or engine special damage result from an airplane with incendiary bullets treats it as fire instead."
    The RFC forbade the use of incendiary ammunition for air-to-air combat with another airplane, as their use against personnel was at first considered to be a violation of the St. Petersburg Declaration. Pilots were permitted to deploy them against only zeppelins and balloons, and they were additionally restricted to shooting the gas chamber itself rather than the crew. Furthermore, they were required to carry written orders on their person when engaging these targets. With your two gun configuration you could load one with & one without.

I always wonder about the problems of using Buckingham only on balloons when they are so often defended by aircraft. I should imagine that a good deal of incendiary found its way into enemy planes under these circumstances.
    After my exploits at Partisan, I am also beginning to revise my opinions about the efficacy of rockets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2557.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	134888

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	134889

Double whammy!

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The period I am gaming in is late 1915. The incendiary ammunition didn't come into use until December 1915 (RNAS) and April 1916 (RFC). I'm aware of the rule you state, but wanted to stay true to the history.

That's a nice special effect on your balloon. In the early days, balloons weren't covered by air cover quite so often. Again, trying to stay true to the history.

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post

That's a nice special effect on your balloon. In the early days, balloons weren't covered by air cover quite so often. Again, trying to stay true to the history.
    Ah! That explains your choice of aircraft then Chuck.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 04 versus pair of Albatros C.I (from OTT12)
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 15:10
  2. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 03 versus pair of Aviatik C.I (from OTT12)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 13:40
  3. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 02 versus lone Albatros C.I (from FM11)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-31-2014, 18:09
  4. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 01 versus lone Albatros C.I (from FM03)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 13:39
  5. Lewis Gun - Scenario 01 versus lone Albatros C.I
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-28-2014, 17:49