Ares Games

Thread: Storage solution

Default Storage solution

After a few accidents that resulted in landing gear broken wings detached and broken propellers, I finally got a storage solution that left me very satisfied. BattleFoam and a toolbox.

I managed to hold 51 airplanes with their decks of maneuver. All my damage decks and all other accessories needed for play.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  149.4 KB

Another person that has a great way to store your planes. Good job.

Nice system Bruno.
    Your box actually holds three aircraft and decks more than my equivalent custom made box.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

My WGF collection is getting to the point that I need to find a solution for transport and storage.

There must be a bunch of threads out there on the subject, showing various commercial and homemade alternatives.... anyone have links to particularly good ones?

I only started in April and have been keeping everything in the original boxes. I can see this becoming a problem in the very near future. I now have 52 planes on hand and another 10 on order/pre-order, and really see no end to the accumulation(or collection dear Oberst). So searching for a solution I found what I think will become mine. The "Battlefoam" P.A.C.K. 432. It is rather pricey at $175 but comes with a choice of 5 foam trays. I think I would order 4 small and medium aircraft trays, holding 18 small and 12 medium craft. Then 1 tray for medium and large aircraft, holding 6 medium and 15 large aircraft. The nice thing about the system is that you can also order bags that mount to the exterior of the main bag. This giving you a place to store all the gear for your games. It looks to be easily carried and a good secure place for your planes. And of course very stylish

That looks good, Bruno. Well done!

I'm cross-posting this from a thread in the Hobby forum, maybe it's useful to those looking for storage/transport solutions for their WGF miniatures.

I did a variation on the foam trays in the Deluxe Box idea, but using the Wings of Glory Rules & Accessories Pack (RAP) box instead of the old Wings of War box.

My theory was to get everything necessary to play a fun coffee shop game into one grab-and-go package:

• I used two 1" thick 7.5" x 13" Figure Foam trays I found on Amazon for $6.95 ea (link)
    • The width of these trays works perfectly with the RAP box, but the length needs to be trimmed to 10"
    • The lower tray holds 4 planes along with their bases and maneuver cards
    • The upper tray holds the A, B, C and D damage decks, firing rulers, and has cutouts to organize fire/smoke tokens, climb counters, jam tokens, and pilot injury tokens
    • I made simple "handles" from duct tape to facilitate lifting out the trays from the box

In practice, I can just grab the RAP box and take it with me, ready to play a fun 2v2 game (currently have Camels and Dr.1s loaded in the box - they are the tightest turners and are the most recognizable to passers-by). The box sits open on the table, with tokens easily removed / replaced during play... and they stay organized , which really helps the flow of the game.

I will also be getting a bigger case to carry the rest of the miniatures and their cards, but having everything needed to play the game in one easy package really makes the system modular and convenient.

Construction notes:
    • For the most part, the pick-and-pluck method works fine for the foam, but I did use an X-Acto blade to make some adjustments.
    • After making the cutouts, I used some Foam-Tac glue to adhere the soft foam to the harder foam bottoms. Otherwise the cutouts can move around a bit and the tokens can slip underneath the walls.
    • Overall, the project took maybe an hour.

The organization of the tokens saves so much time and makes the game much more fluid and fun. And setup / teardown time for the game has been reduced significantly as well. The time saved by both of these improvements will pay for the time invested in making the box within just a few game sessions. So it's totally worth it... plus it looks pretty "pro" when you're playing

Hope it's helpful,
    Steve

Attachment 136737
    Name:  fr_992_size880.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  119.7 KBName:  fr_993_size880.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  116.7 KBName:  fr_994_size880.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  121.8 KBName:  fr_999_size880.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  122.9 KBName:  fr_995_size880.jpg
Size:  123.9 KBName:  fr_996_size880.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  138.5 KBName:  fr_997_size880.jpg
Size:  135.1 KB
    Attachment 136738
    Last edited by surfimp; 07-07-2014 at 12:04.

Good looking little system there Steve, good job.

Thanks all for the feedback and encouragement

My 9yr old son and I got to put it to use yesterday, we introduced another family to WGF via a couple games at a local coffeeshop. I'm pretty sure they're hooked!

Similar Missions

1. Third attempted storage solution...
    By DTH1138` in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 19:35
  2. My storage/transport solution
    By Suffern in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 10:08
  3. Storage Solution!
    By Combat wombat in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8