Ares Games

Thread: Finally took the "Giant" Plunge

Default Finally took the "Giant" Plunge

I finally took the time order a copy of flight of the Giants and it arrived last night. We had a family gathering for my Son's B-day, so I only had a chance to look at it after company left and kids went to bed.

I ma sure it has been discussed at length already, but I was surprised by the contents. The two things that caught my eye the most were the non standard control cards that look more like the WWII verison as well as the two cards for each plane. Assume one goes with the control card to track damage and such.

I was most disappointed to see that different plane cards are printed back to back limiting the quantity of planes that can fly. It would appear that multiple sets would be required to fly more than a couple planes at a time.

Despite these few issues overall I have a favorable impression so far and I look forward to fully reading the rules and tearing into it more. Hopefully I will have time to conduct a coupl test flights this weekend.

Next step will be finding suitable minis to use until some official one come out. I can see a trip to "The Last Square" in my future.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Aaron,

Check out two threads I have posted.

This is a review of the game and some ideas to address your concerns.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1786

This is going to help you with the Mini issue.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1852

I am very pleased with the overall quality and presentation.

I think it covers the bomber subject very well.

Enjoy!

Thanks.....Great review....even better how to. I will probably try my hand at one of the kits that are available first.

Well, had a chance to read the rules book last night. Will not be tackling altitude for awhile. I really like the plane data cards. Still wish they would have kept a larger control card, but I guess the data cards for the specific plane will work.

The only real disapointment that still remains it that they printed the planes back to back on a different material instead on maintaining the uniformatity of the other plane cards.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Aaron,

I played a game at the last con I attended.

They had a real slick altitude tracking system.

In short, if your plane takes 4 moves to climb 1 level it has 1/4 level increment chips.

If another plane take 2, it uses 1/2 level increment chips.

Your plane has the relavent hight chip on its stand, and is 'updated' with a new chip as a change in hieght occurs.

Where the payoff comes in, is when aircraft hieghts are compared.

3 1/2 level is lower than 3 3/4, the same as 3 2/4 and higher than 3 1/4. It is real easy to get an idea where each is virtically.

Hope this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Aaron,

I played a game at the last con I attended.

They had a real slick altitude tracking system.

In short, if your plane takes 4 moves to climb 1 level it has 1/4 level increment chips.

If another plane take 2, it uses 1/2 level increment chips.

Your plane has the relavent hight chip on its stand, and is 'updated' with a new chip as a change in hieght occurs.

Where the payoff comes in, is when aircraft hieghts are compared.

3 1/2 level is lower than 3 3/4, the same as 3 2/4 and higher than 3 1/4. It is real easy to get an idea where each is virtically.

Hope this makes sense.
    Sounds good.....altitude is not an issue for me...it is more so for my gaming group which mostly consists of my 3 kids (10, 12, and 14). They quickly lose interest if we make it overly complex and they cannot shoot every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    I was most disappointed to see that different plane cards are printed back to back limiting the quantity of planes that can fly. It would appear that multiple sets would be required to fly more than a couple planes at a time.
    Yes, but this is more due to the limited quantities of the maneuver decks than the printing of the airplanes. I can't verify this at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that you should be able to use all of your maneuver decks for either the Allied or Central powers with the plane cards provided (there may be a maneuver deck in there that doesn't have a matching aircraft for one side or the other). They would have needed to provide several more sheets to accomplish that without dual-sided printing.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

"I was most disappointed to see that different plane cards are printed back to back limiting the quantity of planes that can fly."

- That crossed my mind too, but in all fairness once I looked at which aircraft were on the back of which others I decided fair enough, as they've picked ones that simply wouldn't plausibly be on the same table:

Gotha - Captured Belgian Friedrichshafen
    Friedrichshafen - Caproni
    Gotha - Caproni
    Zeppelin Staaken - Caproni
    HP 0/400 - Felixstowe

Most of the cards are therefore allied on one side, central powers on the other, when a game's bound to feature heavies from one side or the other, as they simply didn't clash, while the sole exception is heavy bombers and flying boats, again not exactly likely to turn up on the same table.

Dom.

Similar Missions

1. Scenario Notion: "First Response -- Last Resort"
    By csadn in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 23:49
  2. Red Baron "Apple Barge"
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 05:04
  3. Organization & Equipment of a "Balloon Company"
    By Bruce in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 11:40
  4. Which WoW "Base Game" for starters ???
    By MadMajor in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 22:32
  5. WGF & WGS: Miniature Product Info "files"
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 00:21