Ares Games

Thread: The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 8 - A Pair of Flies

Default The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 8 - A Pair of Flies

June 8, 1940

"How was it your first kill?" "What?" "Your first kill. Was it a fighter? A bomber? When was it?" "It was March first, 1937, Kyte." "Good Lord. You know the exact date?!" "Yes, Natalya kissed me for the first time that day." "What!? You remember the date because of a kiss and not because of a plane you've downed?!" "Both things were important..." "I see... And what was the plane, Joaquim?!" "Oh that. It was a Junkers 52. Not a Spanish one. A German. I don't know to this day if it was being used as a transport or a bomber." "And how did you take him down?" "Well. Natalya was training me with the Moscas..." "The I-16?" "Yes. We were on patrol when we saw some planes in the distance..."

He saw them first. He pointed them at me. I rolled my Ishak soflty in the direction he was pointing and I saw them. Two engines at least. I made the sign to close in and the Portuguese smiled at me. I throttled up my little donkey and we moved to intercept them. Germans. Three-engines Junkers.

We closed in from their two hours and they slipped left trying to avoid us. We've pressed on. That was foolish of me.

We've fired from afar, making little damage to the nearest one. I looked briefly at my wingman. He was very concentrated, my Portuguese.

The German pilots were good. They turned in our direction cutting the time of our machine-gun fire.

As it was impossible for me to fire against the closest Ju-52, I fired against the second one.

Joaquim fired his red-nosed at point blank distance against the first Junkers. They were like tanks!

We've passed them very close and very fast and then I saw my mistake. We would have to loose time and be in the cross-hairs of the Germans before we could make real damage. But we pressed on.

One of the gunners fired at me. But I was too close and too fast. He missed me.

On the other side, they were too large and too slow and we've done almost no damage.

Because of me, my Portuguese was in a terrible position, right behind the Junkers.

They both fired at him, raking his little donkey and making him shake like a swallow.

But he fired back, still cool under fire.

And as one, we reversed our course letting our little birds fall down and going up again.

But to my dismay, the German gunners were training on Joaquim's fighter and they were good. He was damaged once again.

Now it was time to make some real damage and revert the bad start.

The German gunners kept firing against us, but now they were far. We had but a few more minutes to take them down. By now we were at the end of our combat time.

Joaquim pointed at the Junkers closer to us. I signal him the okay. My doh-rogoy... Don't let yourself be shot down.

And we've closed in fast.

I saw the Junkers growing in size. I was ready to fire.

The German gunner hit Joaquim's rudder. I saw him fighting to maintain his little donkey steady.

We fired back, making some damage to the Junkers.

Then I looked at Joaquim's I-16 and I got scared. It was filled with holes. I signed him to retreat. He shook his head and smiled.

The gunner kept firing, even if with lost confidence.

We've hit him again and this time I saw his left engine stop. Now things were improving.

Now the German plane slowed down. But this time we weren't going to pass him by.

The gunner fired frantically at Joaquim, damaging his plane even more. It was almost a miracle that the small donkey was still flying.

We fired again. I missed him. But Joaquim put a trail of bullets in the Junkers that broke finally its capability to fly. The huge plane went down slowly.

We watched it as it fell. Three parachutes opened a few seconds later.

I urged Joaquim to retreat again and moved against the remaining German plane.

His gunner trained his machine-gun at me hitting my rudder.

I fired back at him, doing good damage.

A few more seconds and he would be out of our reach.

He fired again at me and hit my engine. I heard it spatter and scream. I had to go home.

Joaquim fired again against the escaping plane. I hoped he wouldn't try to follow him.

Come with me, come with me, I heard myself saying, while I watched him moving his battered fighter against the Junkers.

The German gunner kept firing at him, and failing.

Almost lazily, Joaquim fired a parting shot and then turned back returning to my side. I don't know why I felt like crying.

We've turned back to return home. As we landed I walked from my plane to him. "If I tell you that you must retreat, then you retreat, do you understand?", I shouted. He smiled and nodded. Then I kissed him. His lips were of a pale angel, his taste bitter and sweat, like salt and blood. He embraced me fiercely, my Portuguese.

Scenario Briefing

1.Two I-16 attack two Junkers Ju-52.

2. Flying Officer Natalya Nadensko is a pilot with 1 kill and the Combat ability: Always coming back home.
    6. Pilot Officer Joaquim Ferreira is a rookie with 0 kills and the Combat ability: Always coming back home.
    7. Using the Advanced Solo Charts.
    8. Using the Reverse Manoeuvre Rules and Tables for AI planes:

Reverse Manoeuvres

Immelmann - Fast straight - Reverse - Fast straight (Can't fire after the Reverse manoeuvre)
    Half-loop - Fast straight - Reverse - Stall (Can't fire after the Reverse manoeuvre)
    Split-S - Stall - Reverse - Fast straight (Can't fire after the Reverse manoeuvre)
    Looping - Fast straight - Reverse - Stall - Reverse - Fast Straight (Can't fire after the 1st Reverse, the Stall and the 2nd Reverse manoeuvre)
    Inverted Looping - Stall - Reverse - Fast Straight- Reverse - Stall (Can't fire after the 1st Reverse, the Fast Straight and the 2nd Reverse manoeuvre)

Each time a AI plane rolls to make a Reverse manoeuvre roll it the following Table:

Up or Down Table
    1-4 - Reverse manoeuvre going up
    5-6 - Reverse manoeuvre going down

Then place a fast straight or a stall. Then when the next manoeuvre is due roll again:

Reverse manoeuvre going up Table
    1-2 - Immelmann
    3-5 - Half-loop
    6 - Looping

Reverse manoeuvre going down Table
    1-5 - Split-S
    6 - Inverted Looping

My word Joaquim a girl with fight and a bite to go with it.
    Pass the bottle old chap.
    Here's to the next installment.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Some girls are dreams made of Gin made wishes... Coalescent...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Some girls are dreams made of Gin made wishes... Coalescent...
    In that case pass the bottle round again old boy.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 13:03
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 04:47
  3. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 5 – September Blood
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 03:29
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 10:16
  5. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 1 - A Target in Dunkirk
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 04:02