Ares Games

Thread: The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 7 - A Myth That Was True

Default The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 7 - A Myth That Was True

June 4, 1940

"So... you are saying that there were P-40's in France in June?" "Yes. P-40's B. I've flown one." "No way! The French Armée de l'Air only had P-36's Hawks from the Americans." "Well... They had a few P-40's and never learned that they had them." "Good Lord. One more of your stories, Joaquim?!" "Yes, Dave, one more. And I have a Pole friend... if he's still alive... who can confirm it. He flew one with me for a few days." "Let me call Kyte and we'll listen to that story." "Okay. Convince him to bring one of his uncle's bottles..."

The mechanics assembled the planes yesterday and suddenly it seems to have been ages ago. We took them for an experimental flight this morning and these solid planes seemed okay to us all. What a catch. If it wasn't for the friendship that all mechanics seem to have with Joaquim, we wouldn't ever know that ten American planes were waiting, still in boxes inside an warehouse in the port of Calais. A group of mechanics had the orders to get them, but those that gave the orders are elsewhere, running away, dead or have already forgotten the orders given. This is the state we're in now. We mounted a recovery party with several trucks and we returned with five of them. P-40's! When we went back for the other five, they were already gone. Joaquim awake me from my thoughts suddenly. "Andrzej... Mon ami... We've got bandits on our six."

I looked back and saw them. Two Me-109's coming right at us. "Not good", I replied, "we have a mission to accomplish." He laughed. "Well, they're faster than us so we have to deal with them to accomplish our mission..."

And we've turned sharply, each one to his side, as we knew we would do.

They seemed to prefer me as they both moved in against my plane. That was for the better since that would allow Joaquim to put himself in a better position.

I could see him preparing an inversion manoeuvre. Then I saw them coming right at me. The leader fired.

Missing me by a fraction. I wondered what the German pilot would have thought, fighting an improbable fighter in the hands of a Polish...

I cut right, as hard as my heavy plane would allow me to. This plane was sweet to pilot, obeying my every command, but it was completely outclassed by the 109.

As Joaquim finished his inversion and was approaching, I decided to try one. I forced every horse-power from the in-line engine.

But the German followed us swiftly, one making a looping and the other a split-s manoeuvre.

But at least now we weren't in the terrible position of having them on our back. I saw the Red Nose coming at them and I almost laughed pitying the German pilots. "Let's give them something for them to remember", I told him. "Yes", he replied, "lead!"

And then we were over them. Firing and being fired back.

Both Germans fired at Joaquim, making good damage that his plane seemed to shrug off. "It's like a tank", Joaquim said through the radio.

Then we fired back... I made some damage, but Joaquim filled the leader of the German flight with heavy damage.

Then as soon as the German passed by us, Joaquim went for a reverse. I for myself locked into the enemy leader and fired one more volley.

I've damaged him some more. I was starting to like this kite. Not my manoeuvrable P-11 or Dewoitine, but a very cosy machine.

The German leader turned hard left, and I knew that my P-40 couldn't maintain such closed turn. But Joaquim was ready for him as he finished his reverse.

He fired a devastating volley that destroyed the 109's tail. The Messerschmitt went down spiralling.

We saw a parachute opening below us. "Is that your tenth kill? Five on Spain, three in Poland and two in France?" He laughed. "You can't die on me, Andrzej!" "Why?" "You're the only one who knows how many planes I shot down." I laughed back. "If we think about that, you can't die either!"

The remaining 109 was coming back at us. "Listen, Joaquim. I'll take care of this one. We're losing time, fuel and ammunition. We have a mission to do." He laughed again. "I won't leave you here." "You have to. Don't worry. I'll take care of this one." He didn't reply. I almost could listen his thoughts through the speakers.

"Very well", he said, "be careful Andy and after dealing with this one go back to the airfield." "I will", I replied. And he went on another reverse.

And I went for a split-s. I knew he would take a parting shot before he left me.

Some pilots seem to know exactly what their planes can do.

Joaquim was one of those. He fired a deadly shot against the 109, from inside his turn.

And has he was passing the German fighter I was given time to put myself in a good position to fire.

"Will this be your seventh kill?" he asked me as he moved away. I didn't answered. I knew he didn't need one.

And then I was alone on the dance. I reversed, half expecting the 109 to do the same. He turned hard on his left.

And then he started a reverse. Too late. Too clumsy. Too much inside my cross-hairs.

I fired again, my four .50 machine guns ravaging him.

Then we passed each other. I could see him looking at me. A scared look in his young face.

I turned right as he prepared another inversion. I could see that his 109 was badly wounded.

As he was leaving his reverse manoeuvre I started mine.

We moved against each other.

He wisely side-slipped right, almost leaving my firing cone. But not enough.

He fired accurately and one cannon shell hit my engine. I felt its power output dropping.

I hit him crudely, but his plane kept flying.

He turned hard left as I turned hard left also. My engine start sputtering. I had to get him soon or I would be a sitting duck.

What was he doing? Retreating?!

Yes! He was retreating. His machine couldn't take more damage or he was wounded! I had to get him soon or he would use his superior speed to run away!

I waited for him, to get inside his turn.

Then I turned hard right.

I fired against him.

And after that I turned hard left.

Then I fired a long shot. I saw his 109 quitting on him.

It fell to the ground. Another parachute opened. "Got my seventh, Joaquim!" I shouted. But he was far away and didn't answered. I went back to the airfield with my new - now limping - American fighter.

Scenario Briefing

1.Two Me-109 attack two new P-40's from the back.

2. Flying Officer Andrzej is an ace with 6 kills and the Ace Combat ability: Always coming back home.
    6. Pilot Officer Joachim Franciszek is an ace with 10 kills (2 official in France and 1 in this scenario) and the Ace ability: Perfect Aim.
    7. Using the Advanced Solo Charts.
    8. Using the Reverse Manoeuvre Rules and Tables for AI planes:

Reverse Manoeuvres

Immelmann - Fast straight - Reverse - Fast straight (Can't fire after the Reverse manoeuvre)
    Half-loop - Fast straight - Reverse - Stall (Can't fire after the Reverse manoeuvre)
    Split-S - Stall - Reverse - Fast straight (Can't fire after the Reverse manoeuvre)
    Looping - Fast straight - Reverse - Stall - Reverse - Fast Straight (Can't fire after the 1st Reverse, the Stall and the 2nd Reverse manoeuvre)
    Inverted Looping - Stall - Reverse - Fast Straight- Reverse - Stall (Can't fire after the 1st Reverse, the Fast Straight and the 2nd Reverse manoeuvre)

Each time a AI plane rolls to make a Reverse manoeuvre roll it the following Table:

Up or Down Table
    1-4 - Reverse manoeuvre going up
    5-6 - Reverse manoeuvre going down

Then place a fast straight or a stall. Then when the next manoeuvre is due roll again:

Reverse manoeuvre going up Table
    1-2 - Immelmann
    3-5 - Half-loop
    6 - Looping

Reverse manoeuvre going down Table
    1-5 - Split-S
    6 - Inverted Looping
    Last edited by Blackronin; 01-19-2022 at 09:56.

Rules working well Joaquim.
    that was a totally believable AAR.
    Well worth one of my Uncles Gin bottles.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks. I know for a fact that there were P-40's coming to France during the Battle of France. Did they arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Thanks. I know for a fact that there were P-40's coming to France during the Battle of France. Did they arrive?
    Seems as though they must have, unless the enemy are shooting themselves down.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

In that boring real life thing, they never made it - the first few were actually completed in French markings, but the first one flew in June 1940, so too late for them to be delivered. The RAF picked up the order (140 planes) as the Tomahawak I, and the first ones arrived in Britain in September 1940.

http://www.p40warhawk.com/Variants/Tomahawk.htm

Similar Missions

1. A Solo Campaign - The Kindness of Strangers
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 10:41
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 13:03
  3. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 5 – September Blood
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 03:29
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 10:16
  5. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 1 - A Target in Dunkirk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 04:02