Ares Games

Thread: The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 5 – September Blood

Default The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 5 – September Blood

September 3, 1939

Joaquim arrived late August at my doorstep. I was surprised. "What are you doing here, my friend?" "Trying to enter the Soviet Union", he said with a tired voice. I nodded. "But now that's unimportant. You must get me to fly with you Polish", he continued in a harsh voice. I was surprised again. "Why?" I gave him a drink. "Don't you understand, Andrzej?! They're coming." "The German?" He laughed. "Yes. And your generals that are boasting their certain victory don't really understand what they're embarking into. You know, Andy. You've been there with me." He was talking directly into my fears. I knew he was right and I knew we would need a pilot like him.

The Germans invaded the first of September. By the second we already knew that they were superior in almost everything. We've retreated to secondary lines of defence and our planes survived the initial onslaught because we had hidden them in secret airfields. But the German planes were better armed, faster and their pilots eager to fight. Joaquim wasn't able to convince our squadron commander of the right tactics to use. "I have orders, Andrzej! Use this Spanish tactics with your section and we will see how it works." And so we formed a plan. Four PZL's P11 against the Luftwaffe. "Can I paint the nose of my PZL P11 red?" Asked me Joaquim.

I had been able to sneak Joaquim into our squadron as a Spanish Republican with a lot of knowledge about air combat. "From a Portuguese fighting in Spain to a Spanish fighting in Poland! That will do...", he said laughing. I presented him to my two man. Jósef Sławiński and Krzysztof Tarka. Jósef immediately became friends with Joaquim, but Krzysztof shown a distance at first. That would all change in the skies I was sure. "We're slower than them", said Joaquim, "so we must go where they're needed. That's the only way to force them to fight with us. And that's where there are infantry combats." So we decided to hunt between zones of ground combat and German controlled territory. We didn't have to wait long.

"We fight in pairs as one to compensate our inferior firepower", said Joaquim and I added. "Jósef will be my wingman and Krzysztof will be Joaquim's. Follow us like if you were our shadows." And they nodded. And we were back here as in Spain. Again facing the enemies of freedom. Two Stukas and two Me-109. "Attack the Stukas, we'll protect you", crackled Joaquim's voice in my ears. We were both lucky. We were the few one's who had radio in our PZL's. And four machine guns. The majority of our fighters had only two guns and no radio.

I've signaled Jósef with a hand signal as the Me-109's speed up to meet us.

And then it all started. Seagulls against hawks.

The German split their fire. The leader fired against Jósef and his wingman fired accurately against Joaquim's plane raking him with cannon shells.

We fired back at them. Our machine guns seeming puny, our knees locking the stick while we fired both sets of machine guns at the same time with both hands. Little damage was made and a sensation of despair shadowed my Polish optimism.

My flight faced the Stukas then and the German fighters went for an Immelman. But they made it too soon.

In the frontal passage we were shot by the fixed machine guns of the Stukas.

And we've fired back at them. But little damage was made.

Then we've passed them and were at the mercy of their gunners. But Joaquim turned hard left and he position himself in an excellent spot. It was time to make use of his excellent firing skills. He was already an ace with five confirmed kills in the skies of Spain.

Both Stuka's gunners fired at Jósef hitting him hard.

Then Joaquim and Krzysztof fired their guns! Joaquim hit the cockpit of the leading Stuka and a small explosion flashed in the engine of the German leader's fighter. Young Krzysztof had made his first kill.

"That's a Polish fighter pilot", I said to Joaquim, like a proud father through the radio. "You are talking about my wingman, my friend", said Joaquim laughing. A parachute opened - white against blue skies.

And suddenly things were looking better. Even if in the ground the Germans kept pounding our positions. The Stukas kept their mission flight and the remaining German fighter speed up to get into a better position. "Let's concentrate on the Stukas", I told Joaquim.

The gunners changed their target and fired at the already damaged Joaquim's fighter.

Joaquim and Krzysztof fired back at the leading Stuka.

We've moved in to concentrate our fire against the Stukas that by now had understood that their mission became impossible, dropped their bombs and tried to retreat. I almost screamed with contentment.

The Stuka gunners fired again against Joaquim and his plane was hanging by a shred.

Then they fired back and they made some impressive damage to the Stukas.

And from afar, both we and Jósef fired against the Stuka at the rear of the formation.

We've regrouped while the Stukas turned hard left. The German fighter was a distant point turning also left.

The German gunners kept firing courageously.

Krzysztof fired at the leading Stuka with precision hitting its tail squarely.

The rest of us fired at the other Stuka. Joaquim hit its Cockpit again. I destroyed its tail...

... sending him spiralling down. "Your fourth kill, my friend!" Said Joaquim through the radio. He hadn't forgot my three kills in Spain. That was sweet. One more parachute opened up. A pilot or a gunner died a few moments later.

"Let's get this one before we have to deal with the fighter!" I shouted.

The German gunner continued to fire against Krzysztof. But I knew his fate was already sealed.

We all fired against the Stuka. A fire erupted from it's engine.

We kept pouring lead against it. But it was already down. "This one's belongs to Jósef", said Joaquim and I knew why he gave up it's share of the killing.

We watch the Stuka falling down, burning. Nobody jumped from it.

As one we all turned to face the last enemy plane. But the German fighter decided that retreating was the best part of valour and we didn't have the speed to catch up with him. We made our way back to the airfield. There was still hope for Poland.

Concentrated fire indeed does wonders when you are outclassed. I discovered this very early on with my Gladiators. It won't matter how many guns they have if they are going down.
    Another great AAR.
    I will now read on.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

It does indeed.
    And superior speed only works with special maneuvres.

Similar Missions

1. A Solo Campaign - The Kindness of Strangers
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 10:41
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 13:03
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 10:16
  4. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 1 - A Target in Dunkirk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 04:02
  5. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Prologue 1 - A Polished Entry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 02:11