Ares Games

Thread: The Kindness of Strangers: Interlude 1 – A Letter from the Land of the Soviets

Default The Kindness of Strangers: Interlude 1 – A Letter from the Land of the Soviets

June, 13 1940

"Why the long face, Joachim? Bad news?" "More or less Dave..." "I hope everything will work well for you. You deserve it. Is it that a letter from the Soviet Union?" "Yes." "Kyte! Kyte! Come here quickly. And bring that bottle of gin your uncle sent you! I think we'll learn a little more about our... aaah... international friend here!" "I'm coming!" "So, Joachim, share your pains with us, your comrades in arms!" "Dave! Don't you misplace your nosiness with companionship!" "You're hurting my feeling, my friend..." "And mine too - I'm eager to share your pains - is that a photo?" "It is. Her name is Natalya Nadensko. Naty for me. Here."

"My Lord! She's beautiful." "She is indeed Dave." "My boy. Tell us all. Go get some glasses, Dave. I've got a feeling that we'll need it soon." "Don't you dare starting the tale without me."

"I met her in Spain. She was flying an I-16 when I joined the International Squadron. I was also given an I-16. She spoke a little Spanish so she gave me a quick briefing about the plane. Paint something red, she told me. I'm not a communist, I told her back. And she laughed at me. And she became even more beautiful, her cheeks going red with amusement. In the Soviet Union we're all communists, she said, her voice going low, we better be, and here the Soviet mechanics are communists. Paint something red. They will like it and they will take better care of your plane. So I decided to paint the nose of my plane red." "I see now... The red nose." "Well, yes. It gives me luck and reminds me of her." "Sorry about Kyte's interruption. Go on, go on!" "Yes, well... So I began flying and we began talking. I've discovered she's an excellent pilot. We became lovers. In December 1938 she was sent back to the Soviet Union. A few months later I escaped Spain when France and Great Britain accepted Franco as the ruler of the land. I tried to enter Soviet Union but was unable to. I was in Poland, in Warsaw, trying to get a Soviet permit when the Germans invaded. I had a friend in the Polish Air Force - a pilot that fought with me in Spain - Andrzej Fiałkowski - a bomber pilot that had an amazing hand for fighters - and he offered me a position in a Squadron... Well but that's another story." "Go on! Go on!" Since the attack on Poland and my escape to France and until now, I've never heard from her again." "That's a long time!" "Yes. Well, she sent me this letter three months ago. It's a miracle that it reached my hands this very morning." "And what does she says in that letter, boy?! You're killing me with suspense." "Right Kyte. When the Soviets invaded Poland from the East she was ordered to make some combat flights. She refused saying that her engine had problems. She was grounded and spent some time in Siberia. Now she is posted with an Infantry unit as punishment. Or at least three months ago she was..." "Good Lord. I'm beginning to understand your military career. To your beautiful Naty, Joachim. Let's empty this bottle tonight. Tomorrow we may all be gone..."
    Last edited by Blackronin; 11-15-2015 at 02:29.

Ah! The plot thickens. Let us hope that the gorgeous Natalya comes through for Joachim in all senses. It is a long war with many pitfalls before the lovers may be reunited.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. A Solo Campaign - The Kindness of Strangers
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 10:41
  2. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Prologue 4 - A Spanish Tale
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 02:50
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 10:16
  4. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 1 - A Target in Dunkirk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 04:02
  5. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Prologue 1 - A Polished Entry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 02:11