Ares Games

Thread: The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 4 – 3000 or More - Part 2

Default The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 4 – 3000 or More - Part 2

May 30, 1940

"Dover! I thought we wouldn't make it." "How can I get back to my aerodrome?" "We'll see to it, don't you worry." Thank you, Captain." "No my boy. Thank you. If you weren't up there we wouldn't make it. Those Stukas are merciless." "I'm happy to be of help." "Your clothes are already dry. You can dress them. An Infantry Captain named Stewart wants to speak with you before you leave." "Very well, Captain. Good luck." "Good luck to us all, my friend. We'll need it very much in these years ahead."

One Stuka was diving against an unprotected ship filled with soldiers escaping Dunkirk.

Another one was escaping, in the company of a Me-109, filled with holes, their nerve or their machines broken beyond combat capabilities.

Inside the ships, someone was still willing to put up a fight in their potential last moments. The wailing of the Stuka disrupting their targeting.

The Stuka's machine gun hitting hard the deck of the second ship.

And then like angels, in the last moment, the Hurricanes of my companions shredding the Stuka to pieces, moments before the bombs being dropped. I screamed in joy and relief. And I heard the dialogue of my fine companions. "We've got him, Joachim." "This one's your's Kyte." "We both shot him down, Joachim." "I didn't fire, Kyte. It's all yours." Then after a silence I heard Kyte's laugh. "I'll accept that. You've got so many kills." I had to speak. I had to. "Sir?! Joachim has two kills, right?" And they both laughed without answer me.

The Stuka's crew wasn't able to jump...

They dived into the Channel with a great splash near the second ship.

And suddenly I was closing in and the numbers were now even.

Both the Section Leader and Joachim were also returning to give hunt to the remaining German planes.

The Germans were regrouping.

The Me-109 fired against Joachim and scored a hit. Joachim's Hurricane was battered. I saw a piece of the tail flying away from the Hurricane's body. He should leave, I thought. But I kept silent.

One of the Me-110's fired against F.O. Kyte. But he accepted the damage and fired back.

His fire hit true the German twin fighter.

And then we moved past each others.

Then Joachim fired a long perfect burst against the second Me-110 and the tail broke from the fuselage and the large fighter went spiralling down.

It hit the sea waters hard before the crew members were able to jump. We were flying so low that I finally understood that we wouldn't be able to jump if we got shot down.

Suddenly we seemed to be wining. But the remaining German planes were on our tails.

With some fear I saw both my companions make a reverse manoeuvre that put them both in danger.

The Me-110 fired against Joachim for several seconds while he finished his half loop and then the Hurricane quit on him. "I'm going down", I've heard him say.

And then I saw him as he crashed landed on the sea waters. "This is Flying Officer Kyte to the ships below us. Do you hear me?" His voice was frantic. "This is Flying Officer Kyte! May Day! May Day!" And then a voice replied. "This is Captain Talbot of the Merchant HMS Isle of Drake, we saw your man landing. We're sending a motor boat to get him." I laughed. "Thank you, Captain." "Thank you, Flying Officer Kyte. Keep your work. We'll take care of your man." And I put my attention back to the battle.

I was far away enough to make my reverse manoeuvre. Section Leader crossed the Me-110 path once again.

Suddenly the Me-110 was over me. The twin engine fighter was fast!

He made good work on my Hurricane, but even extensive as it was, nothing vital was hit.

And then I understood that they were escaping and that I only had one more chance to fire against the escaping Me-109.

And I took more damage from the Me-110 gunner.

I fired a long burst against the German fighter. I hit and saw him breaking apart. "I've got one!" I shouted.

I saw him crashing into the sea. "Well done, Dave." And I really, really loved that praise from F.O. Kyte. "Let's go home", he continued and I was more than happy to comply.

The ships were moving steadily to Dover and the hunters were running away with tails between their legs. I approached F.O. Kyte's Hurricane who was circling the spot where Joachim's had crash-landed while a small motor boat approached. All things considered his cold bath was a small price to pay.

"Hello Sir." "Hello. Pilot Officer Joachim?" "Yes." "Can you please tell me the name of the pilot who shot down the Stuka? My men wanted to know in order to thank him." "Of course I can. It was my Section Leader, Flying Officer Kyte." "Thank you sir. Can you give me his first name, please?" "His first name? Sure. It's David. David John." "Thank you Joachim." "Private Callahan?!" "Yes sir. That pilot's name is David John Kyte. Care to explain to Pilot Officer Joachim why you wanted to know that particular piece of information?" "Yes sir! Thank you sir! My wife's six months pregnant, sir. If it's a boy she wants to name it after me. I want nothing of that. So I reckon I can name it after the man that prob'ly saved my life. I'll call him David John, that's for sure." And if it's a girl, private?" "I'll call her Pauline, sir! What else?!"

Scenario Briefing

1. Pilot Officer Dave Sailor is a rookie. He can only copy his wing leader manoeuvres. If he looses his wing leader tail he will fly as an AI until the end of the scenario or his first kill.
    2. Stukas are loaded with bombs. All manoeuvres except straight manoeuvres will be done at slow speed while they have bombs.
    3. Both ships have 30 damage points. They move so slowl (compared to air combat) that they will move one ship length each 10 turns. They will fire at any plane in range with one A damage.
    4. Planes may strafe the ships doing normal damage. The Stukas can bomb the ships. Stukas were particular proficient in this kind of bombing. When they dive the following table is used:

Stuka Bombing Table (1D6):
    1 - Nothing. Bombs failed the target
    2 - 1 C chit. Near miss.
    3 - 3 C chits. Hit the ship.
    4 - 5 C chits. Hit the ship heavily.
    5 - 10 C chits. Hit the ship midship.
    6 - Sunk the ship.

5. Flying Officer Kyte is an ace with 6 kills and the Ace Combat ability: Sniper. (1 kill during this scenario)
    6. Pilot Officer Joachim Franciszek is an ace with 14 kills (3 official) and the following 2 Ace abilities: Acrobatic pilot and Perfect Aim. (1 kill during this scenario)
    7. Pilot Officer Dave Sailor (Started a rookie and became a Regular) 1 Kill (1 kill during this scenario)
    8. Using the Advanced Solo Charts.
    9. Using the Reverse Manoeuvre Rules and Tables for AI planes:

Reverse Manoeuvres

Immelmann - Fast straight - Reverse - Fast straight (Can't fire after the Reverse manoeuvre)
    Half-loop - Fast straight - Reverse - Stall (Can't fire after the Reverse manoeuvre)
    Split-S - Stall - Reverse - Fast straight (Can't fire after the Reverse manoeuvre)
    Looping - Fast straight - Reverse - Stall - Reverse - Fast Straight (Can't fire after the 1st Reverse, the Stall and the 2nd Reverse manoeuvre)
    Inverted Looping - Stall - Reverse - Fast Straight- Reverse - Stall (Can't fire after the 1st Reverse, the Fast Straight and the 2nd Reverse manoeuvre)

Each time a AI plane rolls to make a Reverse manoeuvre roll it the following Table:

Up or Down Table
    1-4 - Reverse manoeuvre going up
    5-6 - Reverse manoeuvre going down

Then place a fast straight or a stall. Then when the next manoeuvre is due roll again:

Reverse manoeuvre going up Table
    1-2 - Immelmann
    3-5 - Half-loop
    6 - Looping

Reverse manoeuvre going down Table
    1-5 - Split-S
    6 - Inverted Looping
    Last edited by Blackronin; 12-05-2015 at 14:51.

The desperate fight for the Channel goes on. What a fantastic scenario Quim.
    I will catch the rest of these when I get back tomorrow evening.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

What an enthralling AAR.
    Loved the story 'Quim. Well played mate!

Thanks, Barry. You're most kind.

Whew! Glad to see our resident double ace survive! Lots of good things here to copy for myself and try out at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    Whew! Glad to see our resident double ace survive! Lots of good things here to copy for myself and try out at home.
    Thanks, Mischa. You're most kind.

Similar Missions

1. A Solo Campaign - The Kindness of Strangers
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 10:41
  2. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Prologue 4 - A Spanish Tale
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 02:50
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 10:16
  4. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 1 - A Target in Dunkirk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 04:02
  5. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Prologue 1 - A Polished Entry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 02:11