Ares Games

Thread: Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 02 versus lone Albatros C.I (from FM11)

Default Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 02 versus lone Albatros C.I (from FM11)

A week and a half after scoring my first victory I was presented a golden opportunity for a second. While on patrol I noted an Albatros circling below me. He was undoubtedly spotting for Hun artillery.

Attachment 134221

I dived down; firing as I came into range just slightly below him.

Attachment 134222

Attachment 134223

Attachment 134224

He then went into a defensive flight pattern. As he banked right I kept up my fire scoring solid hits upon his aircraft. A thin flame could be seen flickering from the exhaust ports.

Attachment 134225

The fire quickly spread as I emptied my Lewis gun. With all the smoke the Hun gunner made no attempt to return fire.

Attachment 134226

Attachment 134227

The flames spread quickly licking their way aft turning the aircraft into a flying torch.

Attachment 134228

It was an opportune time for me to get some distance and reload so I darted under the Albatros.

Attachment 134229

As I cleared the Albatros I was surprised when the Hun fired a few feeble shots my way.

Attachment 134230

But I was soon clear.

Attachment 134231

While I calmly reloaded the fire continued to eat its way through the Hun’s airframe.

Attachment 134232

Before I could get in range to fire another volley the Albatros dived to a fiery death

Attachment 134233

Butchers Bill:

Lt Charles Lewis Diamond (RFC) RTB / - / 1 Victory

Albatros Pilot SD ET / KIA /
    Albatros Observer SD ET / bruised in the crash, but escaped. No one even saw him! / Skip one scenario

Attachment 134234

NOTES:
    In the first phase of turn 2 I forgot to add the +1 to the attack that caused the fire; again I could have placed the stick better, but the shot did clip the corner. If the +1 were added in the Albaros would have crashed at the beginning of turn 4 rather than the beginning of turn 5; I didn’t feel like correcting this by trying to set up the models and retake the pictures. Also, please note there are no turn 4 or 5 pictures since the plane should have crashed at the beginning of turn 4. Nothing of note happened during those turns anyway.

You will notice I have a dice between the 0J and the 2<. I don’t normally allow a two-seater to make a shot directly through the tail when the target is at same level or below. My house rule is the area covered by the tail is a blind spot PERIOD. I know most of you allow this shot so in keeping with the majority the damage was taken.

So, this is the second scenario in the series. I was scoring some solid hits and I believe I would have downed the Albatros even if he hadn’t caught fire during the second turn. Further gaming will determine if these first two victories were the result of luck – drawing a boom card and a fire card respectively – or if despite only being able to fire three times before reloading using the Lewis gun still allows a reasonable chance at success.

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post
    ... Further gaming will determine if these first two victories were the result of luck – drawing a boom card and a fire card respectively – or if despite only being able to fire three times before reloading using the Lewis gun still allows a reasonable chance at success.
    The randomness of the draw will have everything to do with it Chuck. That's the beauty of the game - that unknown factor of the card draw. Just because you got into a a great firing position doesn't mean you get in a good shot & hit something vital but it might do !
    If you play with one B deck the most you will score at long range without special damage is 10 points (4,3,3) - enough to take down the most fragile aircraft maybe but as the average damage per card is 1,044 points (A deck is 1.6 points) the likelihood is you'll need a reload and some special damage to get the job done.
    Some chaps have been discussing the card stats here if you're interested.

I know you won't discuss your blind spot house rule but I hope you change your mind (particularly for OTT ED). Tail assembly only really got in the way when someone was close in or under it - there was plenty of room to shoot past it as you can see from this shot out of a BE2c.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37-from-be2c-b.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	134276
    Last edited by flash; 05-31-2014 at 07:16.

Yeah, it takes about 5 full turns for the Albatros to move from one end of the mat to the other. So at best you are going to fire 9 times. Fire three, reload three, fire three, etc. On average you'll do 1, 1+1, 1+1, etc. if you use aim rule which would be 15 IF you get to shoot every phase. I just played two more scenarios - both using FM13 - where the planes start further apart. You do not engage the enemy until turn three so you only fire six times at max. A gun jam or you're out of position and forget about scoring a victory. The first time I only scored 2 damage points between re-loading and clearing jams. In the second I scored 6 damage, including a crew hit.

I am going to try again moving the scout to the middle so as to engage the Albatros earlier and see what happens.

Also, one thing I haven't mention but should; I am only using half a firing arc. The gun is mounted on the left at a 30 degree angle so I going with no shooting if the enemy is to the right. Even more limiting!

I've been following the post you linked to. Thanks.

That's a reasonable arc of fire - there is a card out there somewhere with the arc between the prop tip and strut. That may be a bit tougher to use but probably more accurate as it can't engage targets directly to its front. Your sixth picture down actually shows what the angle would be like. I'd probably go for something in between the two to allow for the pilot to slew the aircraft. Be great for a 'drive by' as you pass an enemy ! Would be interesting to see how it gets on against another scout too.

Used the same principle in my OTT game with the BE2c. Gunner moving the lewis from fwd rt 30 degree arc to fwd left 30 degree arc or to the rear arc level or higher only with a blind spot behind the tail at short range only at the same level. No firing lower to the rear.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I know you won't discuss your blind spot house rule but I hope you change your mind (particularly for OTT ED). Tail assembly only really got in the way when someone was close in or under it - there was plenty of room to shoot past it as you can see from this shot out of a BE2c.
    Exactly. As I said same or below. It depends on how the tail is structured. Some have wooden supports instead of wires.

Be great for a 'drive by' as you pass an enemy ! Would be interesting to see how it gets on against another scout too.

As in a drive by shooting!? I like, I like!

Nice AAR, Chuck. I understand your reservations concerning cards on the table, and I appreciate your willingness to be flexible.

Lightbulb

That's a reasonable arc of fire - there is a card out there somewhere with the arc between the prop tip and strut. That may be a bit tougher to use but probably more accurate as it can't engage targets directly to its front. Your sixth picture down actually shows what the angle would be like. I'd probably go for something in between the two to allow for the pilot to slew the aircraft. Be great for a 'drive by' as you pass an enemy ! Would be interesting to see how it gets on against another scout too.
    Herr Oberst actually has a base with the 30 degree left arc available which I use for one of my BE 2c's
    (a la Wings BBC series) but have not used it in a Campaign game yet.

Flash I agree with your comment about the rear blind spot. That is why I use the correct rule as set out in the Rule Book.

Similar Missions

1. Lewis Gun Campaign - Scenario 01 versus lone Albatros C.I (from FM03)
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 13:39
  2. Lewis Gun - Scenario 01 versus lone Albatros C.I
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-28-2014, 17:49
  3. Scout versus Eindecker (scenario 8 of multi-player Early War Campaign)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2014, 23:51
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-29-2014, 13:43
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 19:33