Ares Games

Thread: 1 vs 2 (that Bloody Roland)

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default 1 vs 2 (that Bloody Roland)

Everybody else was playing Zombies or Heroclix so there was only three of us for Wings of War on Friday.
    I played Barker's Camel against a Roland CLII and Schaeffer's DVII (lovely miniature that one).
    And just to re-iterate, we use the following combat system: Close shot= two cards and two points, far shot = 1 card and 1 point, rear gunner close = 2 cards 0 points, far shot =1 card. We shoot the real thing and hits must be into the fuselage. There are a few other wrinkles (no explosion card) but that is the gist of it.
    My Barker Camel is an Ace (13 victories) but since I was playing against less experienced opponents I decided not to use any ace abilities. We allow damaged aircraft to make a run for home (escape off the edge) thus allowing one to preserve your ace. You must be on your side of the trench line before exiting the map.
    1st Combat: That bloody Roland started to circle while I tried to cut the DVII out of formation. Pulled a couple of rotary rights and managed a close in shot for two points and two cards. The Roland player surprised me by sticking close to the DVII and nailing me for close in shot. 2 cards and I pulled a 4 and a 3 for 7 points damage. Bugger!
    And that was pretty much the course of the first combat. Every time I took a shot at the DVII the Roland would plink me for a hit. There was 6 pts damage showing on the DVII (but as it turned out only 1 pt from the cards) and I am now in trouble from with 12 points of damage, all from the Roland.
    So I decided to cut and run.
    This completely surprised my opponents and I was easily over the trench lines and out of play before they could react.
    There was much hooting at my fate and I know I heard clucking from the Zombies.

2nd Combat: Flying my ace WITH special abilities (1 for each five kills) Acrobatic pilot and daredevil, I felt ready to face my opponents. This time I went for the Roland and managed a nice shot in the face for 2 pts and 2 cards. But as I passed through the Roland, he got a close in shot on me for 2 cards. I Immelmanned and stalled for another 2 pt and 2 card hit but once again took the retaliatory shot for another 2 cards! Where are all the bloody zeroes? I already have 8pts damage on me when the DVII nails me for 2 and 2 because I am overly fixated on the Roland. 12 points of damage so I decide to run for it. However this time they are wise to me and have maneuvered to cut me off. I decided to trust to luck and try to pass through the DVII. I get a nice close shot for 2 and 2. The DVII panics and instead of turning into me turns away, lining himself up right in front of me. Another 2 and 2 and he is down in flames. Victory 14.
    Meanwhile, the Roland has closed the gap and nailed me for another point of damage, but has left himself open for a rotary right and a shot in the face. Do I fight or run?
    Mama didn't raise me to be a dead hero, I run.
    The bugger plinks me again for a zero (phew) but I manage to escape.

Combat 3: You would think I would have learned my lesson by now, but I am determined to wipe the smug little grin off the Roland player. This time he dies, even if I go with him.
    As we merge, the DVII has played a backwards hand and is off in lala land. I am immediately onto the Roland. Rotary right and a shot in the face for two and two. He gets me for 2 cards as I pass through for the Immelman (both zeroes - finally). Far shot this time for 1 and 1 and he hits me for 1 card (a 2). I decided to stay on his tail and close in for another 2 and 2 and take 2 cards (1 and 3). The Roland makes a clever turn to my left and manages a shot before I can line him up again. 2 cards against me, I now have 8 points damage. However, I am sure the end is in sight for the Roland. He has 5 points damage showing and 5 cards. One more shot should do it.
    Ha!
    I power in for a close shot and sail right past him! 2 cards on me! 10 pts damage! But he has left himself open for a face shot, so once again I rotary right and this time he is down. 15 kills and that's enough for me. I high tail it for my side of the lines.
    I was lucky in that the DVII had played himself out of the fight so early and never really managed to be a factor in the game. I was way too focused on the Roland and was basically lucky. But it was worth it just to watch that knowing little smile disappear from his smug young face.

We played one more game. I decided not to fly my ace and they both flew DVII's against my Snipe. No contest, I shot them both down in 12 moves.

I was feeling pretty wrung out by this time. Running for your life really adds a lot of tension to the game. I needed beers.
    So I had some.
    Gord

Awesome sortie reports; thanks for sharing. What Ace skill did you pick for yor 15th kill?

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Perfect Aim

I think I will go for perfect aim. Could be the difference with these bloody two seaters.
    Glad you enjoy the report, they are fun to write too.

Gord

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Awesome sortie reports; thanks for sharing. What Ace skill did you pick for yor 15th kill?

Love the "Debriefing" of your sorties!

Nice piece of prose Gord. It conveyed the tension in the match very well. My weekend was about the same. Balloon on fire but lands before being destroyed, hit badly by flack and had to run for it with a tripe on my tail. Second game, got the tripe but forced to land in the trenches.
    Third sortie, took down a Roland with my Biff and only three points of damage on it. Biff now has three victories, and Albert goes up to !3. Pity about the balloon though, it would have got him off the unlucky number.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Running for home

I really like the extra level of tension playing an ace adds to the game. I find that I am a lot more mindful of my position on the map, and try to keep my escape route open. Circling over the German lines with two enemy fighters between me and the Allied side of the trenches makes for very calculated play.
    I am yet to try any of the balloon scenarios, I did buy one for the shop, so it is only a matter of time. The miniature is very impressive and I have decided to leave it un-marked so it can be used by either side.
    How effective/realistic/fun do you find the flak rules?
    Nice to hear about your success with the Biff. Always one of my favourites, I am thinking of picking up one of the metal kits so I can start flying one.
    The only thing I dislike about being the top scorer in the group is that I feel a bit of a beast when I use the ace skills.
    But I do use them hehehehehe
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice piece of prose Gord. It conveyed the tension in the match very well. My weekend was about the same. Balloon on fire but lands before being destroyed, hit badly by flack and had to run for it with a tripe on my tail. Second game, got the tripe but forced to land in the trenches.
    Third sortie, took down a Roland with my Biff and only three points of damage on it. Biff now has three victories, and Albert goes up to !3. Pity about the balloon though, it would have got him off the unlucky number.
    Rob.

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Artack View Post
    Love the "Debriefing" of your sorties!
    Thanks Harold.
    We are hoping for a 4 vs 4 or a 3 on 5 this Friday.
    Gord

Evening Gord.
    The is not very effective if you are careful, but you do need a change of underwear when you get home. After all they only need to get lucky once if you are near the end of a mission and full of holes already. Just one more pass at that sausage and.... Oh! B...er.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great post Gord! Well written and a fun read for all of us. I never seem to take enough notes to relay the finer details of the sorties that Hunter and I fly against each other.
    I'm looking forward to your next report. Keep them coming!

Scott

Name
    Gordon Parker
    Sorties Flown

Default What's that smell?

LOL!
    Thanks for the reply. I think I get the picture. I will be sure to keep a change back at the hangar.
    Gord

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post

Evening Gord.
    The is not very effective if you are careful, but you do need a change of underwear when you get home. After all they only need to get lucky once if you are near the end of a mission and full of holes already. Just one more pass at that sausage and.... Oh! B...er.
    Rob.

I would hate to sound like a WWI noob/moron, what is this "Biff" and "behemoth" that everyone talks about? Great write up!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Biff is the Bristol F.2B 2-seat fighter. Behemoth gets used for anything blooming big, from Gotha bomber upwards, but especially HP O/400s and Zeppelin Staaken R.VIs....

Similar Missions

1. LFG Roland CII (Seibert & Pfleger) Question
    By sparty in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 04:55
  2. Roland C II fire arcs
    By Dutchy in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 14:11