Ares Games

Thread: Sales Figures

Default Sales Figures

Are there shop ownershere?

How do the different WGF/WGS models sell? Which one gather dust? Which ones sell fast? Would be interesting to know

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

It varies a fair bit by country - what sells best in Britain isn't the same as in Germany or the US. That said, the ones that sold out fastest for me were the Gothas (as much due to limited supply as popularity, I suspect) and the Bishop SE5a, which sold like hot cakes. Fokker D.VIIs always sell well, but actually took quite a while to completely sell out - the trouble was that other series 2 models were still available long after, so they didn't get a reprint; I still had Snipes, Rolands and DH4s in stock a year and a half after my last Fokkers were bought up....

For a particular model, I find it's often the case that the plainest colour scheme sells best on the allied side - Lufberry's Nieuport, Bishop's SE5a, Barker's Camel, and now the Harvey / Waight Bristol all going far faster than the other colour schemes. On German types it's less clear cut, with sales leaning more towards how famous the pilot was, rather than the colour scheme of the model.
    Last edited by Dom S; 05-10-2014 at 05:24.

I'm not a shop owner but I can relate to the tendency that the plain allied planes go best. I think the mental connection is simply that way - and most artwork shows rather plain camels, se5s etc too. Beside from relatively sparse - compared to german - individual and squadron markings - and they look good that way.
    Thats why I find the paint-job decisions for the camels rather problematic and too "flashy".

The Germans on the other hand - the term "flying circus" already tells what is expected on their side ;-)

Depending on what you are looking for there are a few places that have them at good prices. 12/7 and Miniature Market are two sources I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    For a particular model, I find it's often the case that the plainest colour scheme sells best on the allied side - Lufberry's Nieuport, Bishop's SE5a, Barker's Camel, and now the Harvey / Waight Bristol all going far faster than the other colour schemes. On German types it's less clear cut, with sales leaning more towards how famous the pilot was, rather than the colour scheme of the model.
    The only thing I might argue with is the plain paint scheme, I feel like Barker and Bishop are both quite popular. Especially with Barker's Camel being the one that logged the most hours and his and Bishop's high aerial score. That's just my speculation though, being Canadian I might be more interested in them, whereas others may just be interested in the schemes/repaints. I'm still in the "baby stages" so to speak with the history of WWI aviation so any corrections would be welcome.

Er, when reading my post above I'm referring to the popularity of the pilot's themselves, not the paint scheme. I did a poor job differentiating between them in that post.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

You may have a point on Barker, but Bishop definitely sold on the back of being a plain model - he's not particularly idolised this side of the pond, but with Dallas and the US machine both being non-standard colour schemes he sold at a rate of knots, with people frequently buying multiple Bishops to do flights.

Ah, fair enough. It is the most standard of the three. And I've read books written by gentlemen on your side of the pond who try not to mention Bishop, and when they do it's not in the finest light. Still, he was an impressive pilot if not particularly loved as a commander.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, he was damned good, but so many of his claims have proved impossible to substantiate that there's a real question mark over him in many historians' eyes, while his VC was extremely irregular. On the plus side, it was a cracking model, and immensely easier to repaint than the other two....

You've piqued my curiosity, I'll have to look into it some more. I've just accepted the official story thus far. I've never tried a repaint, but by the talk on the forum it does sound like his was a simple one (comparatively that is). Which explains why I can't get a hold of his plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    You've piqued my curiosity, I'll have to look into it some more. I've just accepted the official story thus far. I've never tried a repaint, but by the talk on the forum it does sound like his was a simple one (comparatively that is). Which explains why I can't get a hold of his plane.
    It's been discussed around here before:

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo3/.../55-60-eng.pdf

The planes my local games shop has had trouble selling are Dewoitine D.520's, Aichi Vals, Italian Stuka, Russian Hurricane and the WW2 2nd edition starter set.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    For more on Bishop check out the book review on "The Making of Billy Bishop" by Bereton Greenhous who is a Canadian researcher.
    Also if you do a File or post search you should find a number of items regarding Bishop's supposed Aerodrome attack which has never been substantiated by any source especially from the German side.

What the buying public does buy can often seem a mystery, that's for sure.
    The Goering D.VII sold out the first, even though the man is pretty universally reviled, while Schafer, the best to repaint due to the proper wing colours sold out last.
    I bought a number of Bishop's for the reasons stated: easy repainting into a flight.
    Same for Rickenbacker SPADs.
    But how much of the market sales is driven by repainters?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Not a lot in general - I'd guess at 10% or so - they figure disproportionately in my customer base, obviously, but in general we repainters are a minority group.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Not a lot in general - I'd guess at 10% or so - they figure disproportionately in my customer base, obviously, but in general we repainters are a minority group.
    Pretty much what I figured.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. National: WI-The Last Square closing MEGA sales
    By afilter in forum US Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 06:37
  2. Amazing what turns up at boot sales...
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 18:11
  3. Cowman's Warmachine Figures
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 09:44
  4. Buying pilot figures in Europe?
    By The Blue Baron in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 14:05