Ares Games

Thread: Friedrichshafen FF-33 E

Default Friedrichshafen FF-33 E

I noticed that there is a custom card for the Friedrichsafen FF-33 E which shows a rear gunner. Also the unofficial stats for the FF-33 E give a -/B damage deck. However, I cannot find any photographs or documentation where the FF-33 E has any armament. I know the FF-33 L version has weapon(s), but that aircraft is smaller than the 33 E. I did order a Shapeways version of this airplane, but it seems as if it would have limited use in a game.

This photograph I googled up shows a gun mounting in the rear cockpit. It comes from a Russian website http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other1/friedrff33.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	friedrff33-2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	131639

Hi Robert,

actually, the FF.33E was intended to be a hydro reconnaissance hence it had a wireless equipment instead of weaponry.
    About 180 FF.33e were built.

The FF.33L was the scout/fighter version as it had some aerodynamic improvement and a fixed rear arc 7,92mm MG.
    About 130 FF.33L were built.
    The rear MG was fixed after having experienced some "unpleasant events", on versions FF.33F and FF.33H, where the rear MG was installed on a pivoting mont. The observer had the funny inclination to fall off the plane or, worst, to shot at the wings AND at the pilot when firing forward through the wings ...

Hi David,
    the pic you posted (serial number 699) according to Peter M. Grosz "German Navy Seaplane Serial Numbers and Classification Codes" represents an FF.33H as we can clearly see by the pivoting mount.

Ciao!

Mau

Spot on Mau, and a good catch Robert!

Also, the FF 33 E is a three-bay biplane, while the pictured aircraft is only a two-bay biplane.

Thank you for clarifying what the photograph shows, Maurizio. You are correct, it is an FF33H but that is not stated on the Russian website.

However, according to 'Marine Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War' by H.J.Nowarra page 34, there were three armed FF33E's nos 534-536 but they were re-designated as FF33F's.

Lots of informations here guys, thanks!
    I like this place

[QUOTE=Mau Fox;287580]The observer had the funny inclination to fall off the plane or, worst, to shot at the wings AND at the pilot when firing forward through the wings ...

Ooops, sorreeeee. Interesting plane/topic. Thanks for the info guys. I have had a fascination with the marine planes since coming to the forum. Are there players that use these in games? If so what kind of scenarios do you play? Bomb the sub/ship type games? Would certainly be an interesting scen.

[QUOTE=prymus;289075Ooops, sorreeeee. Interesting plane/topic. Thanks for the info guys. I have had a fascination with the marine planes since coming to the forum. Are there players that use these in games? If so what kind of scenarios do you play? Bomb the sub/ship type games? Would certainly be an interesting scen.[/QUOTE]

See the Salute 2014 thread for a big game of "sink/save the sub"! http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Game-On!/page5

Checked the thread out, very cool. Looks like it was a lot of fun. Think I may have seen some of you on the Beasts of War vid coverage of Salute. Thanks for pointing me to the thread Tim

Similar Missions

1. WSF Friedrichshafen FF 49
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-15-2017, 22:33
  2. Friedrichshafen ff 60 ? !
    By clipper1801 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 03:00
  3. Reverisco Friedrichshafen G-III
    By Burt in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20