Ares Games

Thread: Bay Area Biplanes!

ColoradoCoppens

Default Bay Area Biplanes!

Hi all!

I literally, just this afternoon, bought some figures for this game, but have been eyeing it for a bit now, so I'm very excited to get a few games in! I realize my username may be a tad misleading, I'm a Colorado ex-pat out here on the West Coast!

Haven't even had time to look into whether or not there's a local group that plays, but I'm excited nonetheless!

EDIT: I guess it would be sensible to have added what I got! Started out with the Fokker vs. Sopwith duel pack, Coppens's Hanriot HD.1, and Lange's Siemens-Schuckert D.III. After buying all this, of course, I now realize that I lack the B damage deck (for the Hanriot). Will my first few games play OK subbing in the A deck from the duel pack, until I can get my hands on the starter/accessories set?

Welcome and good luck escaping the gravity of this game! : ) Its like Hotel California . . . three + years in and I am still hooked! Enjoy!

Welcome Tom,

From waayy up the the coast on Vancouver Island. Glad you found the game, and the best forum on the interweb.

You can play using just the A damage deck. The B deck has more cards, with less damage (max 4) and a few more "special" damage occurrences.

It will work, just don't get used to the higher damage. You might be able to try downgrading the damage (count all A deck 5's as B deck 4's, and 4's as 3's. All others can be face value). It won't be exact, but it would give a similar feel. Or just play it as is, 'til you get the Rules and Accessories Pack.

It will still be fun!

Mike

Hello Tom, and welcome to the 'drome from over here in the UK - and actually some Hanriots (and both the other models Ares produce) are A gunned anyway, so in the interim just play it as though it was

Hi Tom, thats just how I started. It took me forever to get a WW1 rule set, stuff isn't so available over here. Cheers

Hi Tom, welcometo the Drome!
    Some folks make an 'A' deck into a 'B' by just halving the damage shown on the card (round up) - it's close, but not that close!
    I'd just call the Hanriot as an 'A' gun version - the other two models available are just that.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Tom.

Hi Tom, welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod.

ColoradoCoppens

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Glad to hear that there are a couple of work-arounds for the damage deck, wasn't sure if I was going to have to hold off on playing that plane, but I'll give both (just sub in the A deck or reduce printed damage) a try.

The urge to just get more planes is hard to fight, but I think I'll try to grab the rules/accessories set next, after I have a few games under my belt.

Welcome to the Aerdodrome, Tom, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

There are files in the 'Files' section (menu at the top of the page) showing the content of all the Damage decks. This link will take you to the B Damage deck file:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=342

ColoradoCoppens

Excellent, thank you for that! It will most definitely help in adapting the A deck for my first few sorties!

Howdy from Kansas, Tom. Welcome to the 'Drome!

Similar Missions

1. Last Biplanes
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-29-2013, 04:30
  2. from biplanes to monoplanes
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 13:58
  3. F-Toys Biplanes
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 13