Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWI Miniatures Comparison Chart Update

Don!

You're doing a great job with your chart.

I was really excited to have found the initial post of Andrea and try to open the first image that have not progressed very far in the thread.

It would be nice if we could find the name.

Perhaps knowing what the book refers Angiolino or having a copy of:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...g=theaerodrome

(if it contains information about Kibanov)

we can find this info.

I'm pleased at the moment we have confirmed the existence of this pilot (and his surname) and made known to the livery of his beautiful airplane. I really like the reference to the horse (do not forget our Baracca's prancing horse! )

Attilio

I submitted again my post and deleted my first of 17:52 because Don answer seems not visible to me. But I did a mistake querying the post

Attilio
    Last edited by Attila57; 08-25-2010 at 11:10.

Don!

The book is the same of a my previous post!

" I try to find Kibanov photo. I'm not lucky but I doscover this site:

http://newtestermitch.blogspot.com/search/label/History

and i find confirm that the photo on:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...016244-9828962

it's not a Kibanov photo (click on Aces of Russian Empire label and you find a photo of Vasily I. Yanchenko, the russian pilot on the cover) "

that was quoted in a forum where a people said that the pilot photo in the cover page could be Kubanov.

But, incredible, two minutes ago I found that the answer was already present in this forum!!

Look at Jäger thread (February 2010)

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...hlight=kibanov

and Posty answer.

The link suggested by Posty is the same link It's the answer I found in another way, today!

When you find the head of a skein all things become simple.

Attilio
    Last edited by Attila57; 08-25-2010 at 11:56.

Once again I have updated the chart to include the photo of Kibanov and took the time to add some exrtra info and update some photos on a few of the other pilots.

The file may not be available until Keith authorizes the update. Thanks again to Attilio we quite a fun time tracking down information that was right in front of our noses all the time.

We certainly had fun and learned new things (for example; how to use the menu search option )

We still have other stories and photos of pilots to chase up before to considering your chart completed. Hunt starts again (from this forum as a fisrt step )!

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    We certainly had fun and learned new things (for example; how to use the menu search option )

We still have other stories and photos of pilots to chase up before to considering your chart completed. Hunt starts again (from this forum as a fisrt step )!

Attilio
    Of course there's always series 5 and 6 to look forward too.

Don't forget the Luftstreitskräfte Roland C.II photo at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...ture-different

if you want to change the actual minis photo.

Attilio

I found something about Thomas Carson.

Look at:

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/RobertT...allymoney3.htm

There's a photo of:

2nd Lieut. Thomas Long Carson
    4th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps
    Killed in Action 31st July 1917
    Aged 22

I found some historical infos at:

http://www.rafjever.org/4squadhistory1.htm

(a 4 Sqn history site)

"By 25 June 1917 Haig had announced his readiness for a new assault, and preparations were made with, again,
    no attempt at secrecy, leading the Germans to prepare also. The assault started on 31 July 1917, and although
    officially called the Third Battle of Ypres, it was more commonly known as the Battle of Passchendaele.
    The assault was a failure from the start; the British advanced less than half a mile before being held by
    determined opposition. The whole of the Front Line was pounded by shellfire, and with the heavy rainfall
    this degenerated into a sea of mud. Men found that their advance was hampered as they sank up to their
    waist, the edge was lost and the attack faltered. The clouds were seldom above 1000 ft, but contact patrols
    were still flown as the RFC tried to pile on the pressure. Of forty-four patrols flown by aircraft of V
    Brigade on 31 July, fifteen were by 4 Sqn, with the usual casualties being sustained; Lt J. Longton and 2nd
    Lt T.L. Carson
    were reported missing. The work had by necessity to be carried out at very low level, and
    all aircraft were heavily engaged by enemy small arms fire."

Attilio
    Last edited by Attila57; 08-27-2010 at 06:26.

Don't forget the Luftstreitskräfte Roland C.II photo at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...ture-different

if you want to change the actual minis photo.

Attilio
    Not sure which photo you mean.

I found something about Thomas Carson.

Look at:

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/RobertT...allymoney3.htm

There a photo of:

2nd Lieut. Thomas Long Carson
    4th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps
    Killed in Action 31st July 1917
    Aged 22

I found some historical infos at:

http://www.rafjever.org/4squadhistory1.htm

(a 4 Sqn history site)

"By 25 June 1917 Haig had announced his readiness for a new assault, and preparations were made with, again,
    no attempt at secrecy, leading the Germans to prepare also. The assault started on 31 July 1917, and although
    officially called the Third Battle of Ypres, it was more commonly known as the Battle of Passchendaele.
    The assault was a failure from the start; the British advanced less than half a mile before being held by
    determined opposition. The whole of the Front Line was pounded by shellfire, and with the heavy rainfall
    this degenerated into a sea of mud. Men found that their advance was hampered as they sank up to their
    waist, the edge was lost and the attack faltered. The clouds were seldom above 1000 ft, but contact patrols
    were still flown as the RFC tried to pile on the pressure. Of forty-four patrols flown by aircraft of V
    Brigade on 31 July, fifteen were by 4 Sqn, with the usual casualties being sustained; Lt J. Longton and 2nd
    Lt T.L. Carson
    were reported missing. The work had by necessity to be carried out at very low level, and
    all aircraft were heavily engaged by enemy small arms fire."

Attilio
    Thanks. Keep up the good research.

Page: 9
    Item: 3
    Model: LFG Roland C.II
    Service: Luftstreitskräfte

The livery is the same. A mimetic Walfisch.

To complete your chart: the three new Wings of War Revised Deluxe minis pilots pictures:

- Paul Baumer
    - Arthur Roy Brown
    - Frank Luke Jr.

Thanks ... just what is needed! Waiting for your update after series 5 shows up.

Default Excellent

This is amazing. Such quality work and so many knowledgeable people with information resources.

I just came across this as I was exploring the site. This is just what I needed to try to get my son interested in the WoW.

I was trying to find something that would talk about the WWI aces in order to give some history and personality to the game. But I didn't find anything that addressed a lot of aces in a brief format. This is perfect because it relates directly to the game.

This is great work, and I really appreciate all the time, effort and research that when into this "book".

Do you suppose that, while you are waiting for the next series to come out, that you could make some Pilot Bio type entries for the aircraft? I know that you have the comparison data and time frames of the aircraft. But I think it would be great if you could add some history and significance in a bio section for each aircraft.

Something like development history, numbers produced, squadrons, and influence on the war. Certainly the Fokker E.III had a profound influence on the air war, but you would never know it by looking at it's stats.

Again, thanks for all the work you have done on this. It really adds a lot to the game.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by BryanR View Post
    I just came across this as I was exploring the site. This is just what I needed to try to get my son interested in the WoW.

I was trying to find something that would talk about the WWI aces in order to give some history and personality to the game. But I didn't find anything that addressed a lot of aces in a brief format. This is perfect because it relates directly to the game.

This is great work, and I really appreciate all the time, effort and research that when into this "book".

Do you suppose that, while you are waiting for the next series to come out, that you could make some Pilot Bio type entries for the aircraft? I know that you have the comparison data and time frames of the aircraft. But I think it would be great if you could add some history and significance in a bio section for each aircraft.

Something like development history, numbers produced, squadrons, and influence on the war. Certainly the Fokker E.III had a profound influence on the air war, but you would never know it by looking at it's stats.

Again, thanks for all the work you have done on this. It really adds a lot to the game.

Bryan
    I'm glad you appreciate the work. The main reason I did it was to add the basic info on the pilots. I was really amazed that the game did not come with any info at all on the pilots at all.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Terrific work, it looks really good.

Don,

it's time to update your wonderfull Comparison Chart.

Revised Deluxe set is available.

At http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=3736 there are the minis pictures and you have the three new pilot pictures.

Please, update it.

Attilio

Don,

it's time to update your wonderfull Comparison Chart.

Revised Deluxe set is available.

At http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=3736 there are the minis pictures and you have the three new pilot pictures.

Please, update it.

Attilio
    As soon as I have individual photos of each miniature I will.

Thank you for producing this. It is a great piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by LGKR View Post
    As soon as I have individual photos of each miniature I will.
    These are from the Fantasy Flight website:
    Attached Images     

Cool , I'll get right on it on Monday.

Smile

Thanks Don for all your efforts in putting this together. This is a great orginizing of information.

Thanks Larry for help Don with the good minis pictures, better than I signed to him (I founded them on Nexus web site).

Don,

thanks!

You have all, minis and pilot pictures, this time. No a new Kibanov's picture hunting, luckily!

Attilio
    Last edited by Attila57; 12-05-2010 at 01:03.

I've finished updating the Comparison chart, just waiting on Col. Hajj to give it permission. In the mean time anyone who would like a higher quality version can get it at our league web page.

Traverse City Wings of War League

Attention!
    Version 6 of the World War 1 Miniatures Comparison Chart is in the files section now.
    It has the addition of the Deluxe Edition.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=395

lcool1970

Great reference for new players, thank you.

groblnjar

Really great job!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Damage Probability Chart Anywhere?
    By sparty in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 22:33
  2. Site: Added 5 more avatar... big German update.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 19:00
  3. New Comparison Chart
    By LGKR in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 02:26
  4. comparison chart
    By Leuchtturm in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 11:03