Ares Games

Thread: Carronade 2014 - Falkirk

Default Carronade 2014 - Falkirk

Ok Chaps roughly 3 weeks to Carronade. So far we have:

1 table booked (8x6).
    2 Forum members to run the games. (Guzzi and Myself proudly wearing our polo shirts)

AM to run at least 2 WW1 participation games. 1. Scouts v Scouts through the years and 2. Hunt the Zeppelin.

PM to run a BoB scenario based around 'They can try to take our lands but they'll never bomb our Ginger Shop'.

Can I have a show of hands for any other helpers who would be willing to assist running any games? If we get enough, hint hint, we might be able to put on two tables and run WW1 all day on 1 and WW2 on the other.

All equipment provided.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great Neil.
    We need new recruits from North of the border. Not a very large Scottish presence here, and most of what we have is mute,
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'm sure Rabbit3 said he was up for helping out. I'll wait for final confirmation. Depending on job interview, yes I have got 1 reply, on Wednesday will dictate wether BoB at Falkirk will be on or a Pacific theme. I still have a few aircraft to paint for BoB but as the Pacific game is ready to go I may have to use it as a fall back.

Best of luck with your interview Neil.
    Rob.

Well swmbo has been kind today, started to paint the fence, weather got bad so she let me make up the aircraft for Carronade. Should get them painted with a little luck. So onwards and upwards as they say.

You may be lucky old bean. The weather forecast for tomorrow is pretty wet as well.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Well swmbo has been kind today, started to paint the fence,
    I read that as SWMBO started to paint the fence! Lucky you, I thought.

Then I read it again....................

Prepping for my very first, ever, job interview on Wednesday. So tomorrow is pretty well out.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You may be lucky old bean. The weather forecast for tomorrow is pretty wet as well.
    Rob.

Ok Chaps roughly 3 weeks to Carronade. So far we have:

1 table booked (8x6).
    2 Forum members to run the games. (Guzzi and Myself proudly wearing our polo shirts)

AM to run at least 2 WW1 participation games. 1. Scouts v Scouts through the years and 2. Hunt the Zeppelin.

PM to run a BoB scenario based around 'They can try to take our lands but they'll never bomb our Ginger Shop'.

Can I have a show of hands for any other helpers who would be willing to assist running any games? If we get enough, hint hint, we might be able to put on two tables and run WW1 all day on 1 and WW2 on the other.

All equipment provided.

Neil
    Looking forward to welcoming the Areodrome to the show However we are stretched to the limit on table space so it is unlikely that there will be room for 2 tables

NP Dave. There's always next year.

Well guess who would have been a week early, good job (no pun) they rang today to confirm I was still attending! Doh.

Neil

Prepping for my very first, ever, job interview on Wednesday. So tomorrow is pretty well out.

Neil

Well done Robert (Rabbit3). A life saver a game saver and an all round good chap. Can't thank you enough mate. Looking forward to seeing you at Carronade. We'll be the ones in the funny Polo shirts and hat (we only have 1).

7 days and counting. Just about packed and ready for the off. Now where is my wingman?

Archdukek

If any of the guys who are coming to Carronade plan on staying overnight you might want to know that the Falkirk Club will once again be running WW1 Wings of Glory games at the Scottish National Museum of Flight's Wartime Experience event at East Fortune Airfield on Sunday 11 May. You would be very welcome to join us.

John

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

7 days and counting. Just about packed and ready for the off. Now where is my wingman?
    Just about packed and ready and getting the bus timetables sorted.

My Spits and`109`s having seen a good bit of action recently at Conpulsion where I think I may have just converted some X-Wing players to the game!
    They were most impressed with the altitude rules which of course X-Wing dosn`t have.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 05-05-2014 at 10:46.

Good work Robert.
    Next move is to get them onto the Drome.
    Rob.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Good work Robert.
    Next move is to get them onto the Drome.
    Rob.
    A couple of them may be turning up at Carronade so we`ll get another chance to work on them!

Now if some of the dealers happen to have some Rules and Accessories or intro sets available for purchase then I think we`ll have them hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post

Now if some of the dealers happen to have some Rules and Accessories or intro sets available for purchase then I think we`ll have them hooked!
    That's always the problem Robert. You have it in a nutshell.
    Chris has been up against this since our very first show.
    Rob.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

That's always the problem Robert. You have it in a nutshell.
    Chris has been up against this since our very first show.
    Rob.
    Yes, I`ve been talking to some local dealers recently and there seems to be some sort of problem in the distribution side in the UK.
    It seems not to be confined just to WoW either but involves other games as well.

Last year I noticed that some of the X-Wing guys at Claymore were selling some models while running demo`s and it occured to me that maybe if we could get hold of some of the core products direct from Ares we could do the same at some of the bigger game events and ease the log jam a little.
    Just a thought anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Yes, I`ve been talking to some local dealers recently and there seems to be some sort of problem in the distribution side in the UK.
    They just seem to have problems keeping stuff "in print"

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    They just seem to have problems keeping stuff "in print"
    That may be part of the problem but, judging by what I was told by one retailer in particular the distributor he deals with just isn`t ordering enough of various products from a number publishers to keep him supplied with enough games or key game components to sell.
    So it`s not just a problem confined to WoW and Ares but also applies to other games produced by the smaller games publishers.

P.s, are there any plans to do anything at Claymore this year?
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 05-06-2014 at 23:17.

Would love to do Claymore.

Problems:
    1. When is it?
    2. Do we have time to contact organisers for a table?
    3. Am I available? (thats down to swmbo).

Neil

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

2nd of August so its maybe a bit iffy at this stage, might be worth thinking about for next year though as its a regular early August event.
    Here`s a link anyway just in case http://seswc.co.uk/2014/02/claymore-2014/

Popped an email to their email contact address to see if we could be included. 2nd of August gives me 2 and a bit months to work on swmbo. Robert, we can talk more of this at the weekend. I've also asked if we cannot be included this year could we be considered for next year. Hopefully someone from the club will be at Falkirk and may give a favourable report of our activities.

SESWC are running a game so you may be able to make contact re Claymore

Cheers Dave, will try and do that on Saturday.

Well just under 48 hours left for the big show to start.

Robert I've also PM'd you. If you have a coastal mat for WoG please bring it. Cheers, see you tomorrow Neil.

Earlt to bed, early to rise for its off to Falkirk we go tomorrow!

Thanks for putting on such a popular pp game - sorry that I did not have more time to chat

NP Dave, we had a blast. None stop gaming and we're practiced at eating dinner on the go is Paul and I. See you at Claymore....will you and others be joining in on our table for a sortie or two?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Knight View Post
    Thanks for putting on such a popular pp game - sorry that I did not have more time to chat

A few selected pics from today at Carronade:

Name:  P1040313 (480x640).jpg
Views: 172
Size:  230.0 KB
    Paul (Guzzi) takes charge of the first game. Introducing new flyers to the basics of flight, cards, firing and then throwing the unwary into the heat of combat.

Name:  P1040314 (640x480).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  244.0 KB
    Part of our aircraft display and the trophies awarded to confirmed victories.

Name:  P1040321 (640x480).jpg
Views: 169
Size:  263.1 KB
    Game 1: Early Wars. 2 Eindeckers, 2 Halberstadts take on 2 Morane's, 2 DH2's and a BE2c. Honours even.

Name:  P1040323 (480x640).jpg
Views: 175
Size:  208.4 KB
    Our 3 winners from game 1. (Err didn't I shoot down a Morane Paul? Don't I get one too?)

Name:  P1040331 (640x480).jpg
Views: 170
Size:  228.1 KB
    A swarm of 4 2 seaters take on the Behemoth. Breguet, Brisfit, DH4 and FE2 (yes an FE2!).

Name:  P1040332 (640x480).jpg
Views: 170
Size:  202.2 KB
    Half way through 6 cells gone, 10 cells on fire. (all will be explained).

Name:  P1040333 (480x640).jpg
Views: 165
Size:  216.3 KB
    Our 4 gallant pilots. The lady won the TOP GUN trophy, a. for flying the FE2 and b. for causing 5 explosions cards, resulting in 10 fires and bringing the Zeppelin down with her last card...which just happened to be..yes another explosion card. Rookie pilot who tenaciously stuck to her guns and brought the behemoth down. (And no allied aircraft shot down either....not through lack of trying I went through most of 2 B decks!)

Name:  P1040335 (640x480).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  205.6 KB
    6 of the 11 players in the BoB end game.

Name:  P1040341 (480x640).jpg
Views: 167
Size:  168.8 KB
    First victory to the Luftwaffe. (Ably flown by Rabbit3).

Name:  P1040343 (640x480).jpg
Size:  180.8 KB
    The stuka flight bare the brunt of the initial RAF attacks.

Name:  P1040344 (640x480).jpg
Views: 167
Size:  192.1 KB
    The Heinkel's try to keep up as the battle develops in front.

Name:  P1040345 (480x640).jpg
Views: 171
Size:  184.1 KB
    1 stuka down, 1 on fire. The RAF dish it out.

Name:  P1040347 (640x480).jpg
Views: 168
Size:  189.8 KB

A stuka breaks free. The RAF turn on the Heinkels. Nearly the end.

Name:  P1040352 (480x640).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  214.9 KB
    Robert (Rabbit3) on the left of picture helps move my Heinkel flight forward for the last round of firing.

Name:  P1040354 (480x640).jpg
Size:  210.0 KB
    A proud father and son with their confirmed victory trophies.

A big thank you to Robert (Rabbit3) for supplying all the aircraft for the Battle of Britain game and expanding our WW1 aircraft display. Another big thank you to Paul for running game 1, when I was explaining aspects of the game to the public and for getting me to the show on time, weather permitting as it poured down all the way but surprisingly was clear for the run back.

A great day of gaming, played with enthusiasm by everyone who took part. So a last thank you to all the participants who we hope enjoyed themselves, made our job easier and providing us all with a really fun day in Falkirk.

PS: We also got an invite to Claymore on 2nd August in Edinburgh. See you all there again chaps.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 05-10-2014 at 15:35.

A big thank you to Neil, Paul, and Robert for upholding the high standards of the U.K. Wing as usual.
    Glad you all had a good time chaps, as the pictures testify.
    Those cups are something we need to consider for future events.
    Well done those men.
    Kyte.

Smk Me A Kipper

Neil, apologies to Mrs Neil for causing the impulse purchase!

Shame I missed the BoB game it looked like fun. I'll see if I can make Carronade and take to the skies this time.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Smk Me A Kipper View Post
    I didn't know you were into Star Wars Neil!
    Rob.

Well the cat's out of the bag as swmbo was reading these over my shoulder. Can I retro fit the impulse onto the Spad VII, Albatros DII or Halberstadt CLII ? Probably the CLII as its a two seater.

I didn't know you were into Star Wars Neil!
    Rob.

Cups were el-cheapo purchase from ASDA. Labels printed off computer. Copied the idea from Australian Wing.

A big thank you to Neil, Paul, and Robert for upholding the high standards of the U.K. Wing as usual.
    Glad you all had a good time chaps, as the pictures testify.
    Those cups are something we need to consider for future events.
    Well done those men.
    Kyte.

See you at Claymore...revenge shall be mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Smk Me A Kipper View Post

Shame I missed the BoB game it looked like fun. I'll see if I can make Carronade and take to the skies this time.

Cheers

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Nice to see some good photo`s of my birds in action.
    With my camera the pics usually come out somewhat blurry.

Similar Missions

1. N. England & Scotland Carronade, Falkirk, May 10th 2014
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-12-2015, 12:37
  2. Jogo dia 30/01/2014
    By calm in forum Brazilian Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 06:38
  3. National 2014
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 8