Ares Games

Thread: Why are you interested in Great War aviation?

Default Why are you interested in Great War aviation?

I just wonder what it was that got you interested in World War I aviation in the first place, and what made you carry your interest over into war gaming?

For me, the moment came when my father was taking me along on a business trip when I was about 6 or 7. We were waiting for our train to leave the old Penn Station in New York, when I noticed a magazine size book published by, I think, Popular Mechanics, on World War I airplanes and my father bought it for me. By the time we reached Washington, I was hooked. On the planes, that is. Although I was already into wargaming at that tender age, and we're talking about the 1950s here, it wasn't until I stumbled across the Wings of War game in a local hobby shop that I found the first practical way of turning an interest into a playable 3 dimensional game. And the rest is history!

Although not a straight answer to your question Bruce, this link might serve to get the ball rolling for you.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...n-YOU-play-WoG

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

For me an interest in early powered flight, along with Airfix models (late 60's and early 70's as a teenager, what can I say ) and being a member of a thriving wargames club from age 11 (in 1967) - not forgetting reading Biggles stories at a young age

I remember this was asked before and see it has been 2 years since that time but always good to see people asking questions and members pointing them to other threads.

Like Brian, I used to read Biggles stories.

Much the same sentiment as is expressed in the explanatory manual for _Richthofen's War_: "They actually *fought* in these things?"

1. Biggles books.
    2. Airfix models.
    3. Wargaming since age of 11.
    4. Playing Avalon Hills Richtofen's War.
    5. Playing Avalon Hill's B17.
    6. Buying my first WoW miniature (Richtofens Dr1).
    7. Buying the rules.
    8. Getting hooked on this site.
    9. Catching the WW2 WGS bug from Sven after playing Midway campaign.
    11. Because I love it.
    See you on the Dark Side......

My Grandfather was a pilot in WW1 flying RE.8's

Because pilots are heroes. One old motto from 30' says: "The air is our sea." so aviation means a lot for an inland country like Czech(oslovakian) Republic.

Smile

As I said in that original thread I saw the Errol Flynn version of "Dawn Patrol" when I was about 12 & then read everything I could find on WW1 aviation. Airfix models followed & then things stalled during 12 years of Motor Racing & Marriage but still read what I could find.
    Warhammer 40K got me into wargaming & then one of our club members brought along Wings of War models & as they say the rest is "History"!

The meeting between my interest in aviation and the one for the history of Europe in the early '900

It's tough to remember back that far, but if I had to say what sparked my interest in WW1 Aviation, I'd have to say:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snoopy and his sopwith camel.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	130429

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. WWI: What got you interested in WWI?
    By Aero825 in forum Polls
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 07-14-2023, 03:51
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 05:13
  3. For those who might be interested
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 03:25
  4. Great WWII Aviation Books