Ares Games

Thread: OTT Early Doors prequel 2: Let the hunt begin (2)

Default OTT Early Doors prequel 2: Let the hunt begin (2)

With the squadron taking more class instruction, it was also imperative to get in more time flying. Everyone was to get more time in the air to hone their skills.
    Under Obltn Hartwig Alder’s guidance, Peter Büttner was to try to repeat Hartwig’s tactics.

“This should work at least once more before the Brits catch on”, Alder confided to Peter.
    Hartwig trusted Ltn Büttner in this mission as he was one of the better pilots in the flight.
    “Later afternoon will do”, thought Hartwig, as the sun will be at Peter’s back, giving him the advantage.

Ltn Büttner was confident but still felt a little uneasy. Losing Felix was hard on everyone in the squadron. As he lifted off the ground on that cold clear afternoon he repeated to himself Hartwig’s words, “Be vigilant, and be aggressive”!

After getting into position as the Obltn described, it didn’t take long for the British patrol to appear to the east.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	130248

Wasting no time Ltn Büttner closed in on an attack angle catching the Englishman by surprise. Just before pulling the trigger at 50 yards Peter thought, this is too easy! As the bullets tore into the Morane-Saulnier he was mesmerized watching pieces falling off. So entranced was he that it took a couple of seconds to realize his machine guns were silent. “I knew it was too easy”! The guns had jammed on his first pass.

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	130249

Keeping his composure, Büttner flew cautiously while getting his guns back in order.

2Lt Frank Barlow was sweating as if in a fever even on this frigid afternoon. William didn’t return from his patrol this morning and now he feared the worse for himself. He didn’t like these quirky French machines and hated it more while watching that graceful German toying with him after the abrupt attack.

Name:	DSC_0013.JPG 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	130250

Name:	DSC_0014.JPG 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	130251

Name:	DSC_0015.JPG 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	130252

Name:	DSC_0016.JPG 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	130253

“Ha, that Englisher seems to have no nerve”. Peter thought as he circled in for another pass while the Morane flew without a plan . “He’s flying like he’s sitting on eggs”!

Name:	DSC_0017.JPG 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	130254

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	130255

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	130256

Name:	DSC_0020.JPG 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	130257

"Time to get on his tail and shoot him down", Peter thought.

Barlow had lost sight of the Eindeckker as he was briefly blinded by the sun. Looking around frantically he spotted the German in the nick of time, right behind him! That snapped him out of his fearful trance. He had to act decisively or he too could disappear like William.

Name:	DSC_0021.JPG 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	130258

Name:	DSC_0022.JPG 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	130259

Not so easy. That Morane can fly if handled properly, and now it did. A quick Immelmann and both planes were heading right for each other. Ltn Büttner was quite surprised as the Brit showed some flying skill. Both pilots pulled their triggers, one with more composure and conviction. Peter’s aim was better and the Morane was badly torn into again.

Name:	DSC_0023.JPG 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	130260

Name:	DSC_0024.JPG 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	130261

Peter wasn’t going to let this Brit off again and immediately Immelmann’d after the pass. On his tail again with no let up.

Name:	DSC_0025.JPG 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	130262

Name:	DSC_0026.JPG 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	130263

Frank was now desperate. He thought he could get the best of the Hun with his attack but these French guns didn’t fire true and he paid the price. His plane was now in pretty bad shape, time to head for home with haste!

Name:	DSC_0027.JPG 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	130264

Peter saw that the Brit was faltering and heading west. The fight was out of him! “Be aggressive” rung in his ears. Another Immelmann and he was on the Morane’s tail again.

Name:	DSC_0028.JPG 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	130265

Name:	DSC_0029.JPG 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	130266

Name:	DSC_0030.JPG 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	130267

Closing in on the wounded Morane Peter squeezed the trigger again, expecting to celebrate his first kill, but after a couple rounds his guns again went silent! No time to clear them as he was almost into British territory. “Be vigilant”, popped into his head. Looking around for any other British planes, he turned for home.

Name:	DSC_0031.JPG 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	130268

As Ltn Büttner filed his report he felt robbed. Twice at point blank and his guns stopped.
    Next time....next time.....

2Lt Frank Barlow felt extremely lucky to be alive. That Hun could have easily killed me.
    Why did he let me off?

Name:	DSC_0032.JPG 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	130269

Name:	DSC_0033.JPG 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	130270

Ltn Peter Büttner RTB
    2Lt Frank Barlow RTB

Like Büttner, I felt robbed with such a short game last time so thought I'd give it another go.
    Last edited by flash; 05-16-2014 at 05:07. Reason: fix prefix

Great AAR Peter, and ended just like so many pilots' reports. "The one that got away" for a variety of reasons.
    Even the Aces didn't get one every time.
    I really enjoyed following the course of this encounter. I may even try out my two seater fiasco again now.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great AAR Peter, and ended just like so many pilots' reports. "The one that got away" for a variety of reasons.
    Even the Aces didn't get one every time.
    I really enjoyed following the course of this encounter. I may even try out my two seater fiasco again now.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob, This time it was a lot more fun to play even though it was a bit too one sided. Starting off with a free clean shot gives you quite an advantage if you can hit with that first volley.

My word of advice when you fly the two seaters again, avoid the BOOM card!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

My word of advice when you fly the two seaters again, avoid the BOOM card!
    My word Peter, what a wit you are!
    Kyte.

Hey! Don't hit so hard. Just trying to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Hey! Don't hit so hard. Just trying to help!
    Yea thanks Pete. Now the nightmares have started again.
    Kyte.

Very nice Pete, enjoyed your extended bun fight, just wonder if you missed some +1 moments in that exchange ?

Just for info of all, if you submit a second AAR your pilots are still at risk but any kills are regarded as probables.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Very nice Pete, enjoyed your extended bun fight, just wonder if you missed some +1 moments in that exchange ?

Just for info of all, if you submit a second AAR your pilots are still at risk but any kills are regarded as probables.
    Ah, yes, you are right. On the last parting shot there should have been a +1 and the Morane would have succumbed. Must have been that jam, not enough fire to get the +1!
    Thats one I tend to forget. I usually run games with 10-16 pilots at game-days or conventions and don't even try to use the +1 as I can't keep track of all the firing.

Yep, I often forget them too but worth remembering in these games !

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT Early Doors prequal 2: Let the hunt begin..but who is hunting who?
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 05:17
  2. AAR OTT Early Doors Prequel#2 - Let The Hunt Begin (Archidamus - Entente)
    By Archidamus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 05:04
  3. AAR OTT Early Doors prequel 2: Let the hunt begin
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 10:02
  4. AAR Early Doors Prequel 2 " Let the hunt begin." (Kyte)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 08:04
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 15:09