Ares Games

Thread: 1/72 size base

Flo

Default 1/72 size base

Hi!

Some friends and I have resently started to play wings of glory (ww1), but we are not quite happy with the miniatures. They just look like toys. On the other hand I have quite a few finished 1/72 WW1 planes in my collection. Has anyone experience what size the base should be? Doubling the size would make it a bit to large for my gaming table (66"x36") (and we are all a little bit to old to play on the foor ) . Keeping the bases the normal size makes things a little prone to tipping over and the models would get in each others way quite often.
    So any suggestions or even better experience what could be a decent compromise?

Flo

Welcome to the site Flo.

The game has been played with 1/72 scale models before. In fact, I believe the very first public game was played using them. Most people that do this actually do double the card size and play on the floor... but they put the planes on tall wooden dowels to raise them up to a proper height. You still have to bend down to move them though.

You could try increasing the cards by 50% and see how that works for you. With only a 66x36 table, I think any up-scaling you do is going to lead to firing range issues and maneuver room issues. Good luck and if you figure it out, please post photos of a game!

Flo

Funny I tried searching for 1/72 before but couldnt find anything. Actually I cant even find this thread .

But anyway if I have to crawl on the floor, id use at least 1/48 scale (wenn schon denn schon (sry dont know how to translate it, probably something like if it's worth doing it's worth overdoing).

The site software's search function leaves a lot to be desired... especially when searching for numbers

In this type of case, you are better off using a Goggle site search:

Code:
    "keyword" site:www.wingsofwar.org
    Just replace the "keyword" with the word(s) you want to search for.

In the case of 1/72, here are the results.

As to your translation, the American version would be:

"Any thing worth doing, is worth doing right."

Blue Max/Canvas Eagles use hexagonal bases which are 3.5 inches wide.
    These bases are for 1/72 scale WWI planes.
    http://www.eaglesmax.com/eagles_downloads.html

Angels 20/Bandits High use hexagonal bases which are 2.5 inches wide.
    These bases are for 1/100 scale WWII planes which are approximately the same size as 1/72 scale WWI planes.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...ures-angels-20

The reason that the Angels 20/Bandits High bases are smaller is that the WWII planes are closer to the base because the support rod is only 2.75 inches.

The 9 segment Radio Shack antenna, used for the Blue Max/Canvas Eagles base, telescopes up to 24 inches.
    Thus, a larger base must be used for stability.

Flo

Maybe Ill change my approach and stay with the current base size but mount the planes on these gooseneck photo thingies. I have to get one and hope that the plastic block fits the base. Not the best looking methode, but it should work. (At least I should get it done till the next time we play).

Keep us posted on your results; at some point, I'd like to take WGS into 1/72nd scale (with my old M&M planes).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Size of the base for a Gotha bomber
    By chartoh in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 04:05
  2. Base size of a B-17/Lancaster
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-14-2013, 15:38
  3. Bomber base size?
    By PFactorDave in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5