Ares Games

Thread: Bf 109 Zwilling? Honey we are having twins, again?

Default Bf 109 Zwilling? Honey we are having twins, again?

He, he, he! Two innocent 109's land at the hanger this week . . .

Get a nice coat of silver primer, think they are going to be in the "Big Show" . . . then the Clipper slips in!

"Ouch!" they say together! "I cannot feel one of my wings!" they cry! "We cannot feel our stabilizers!" Ha, ha, ha!

"Oh now I feel a little better" sez one, but not the other . . .

"Now we feel more connected" they rejoice! He, he . . .

Now they are happy and want ice cream and more filler paint! Off they fly into the land of paint, with their wing mate to get more acquainted! Pass the G & T

How on earth do you juggle all these different projects at the same time Dave?
    I would lose essential parts from projects if I had several on the bench at the same time. Come to think of it , I sometimes lose parts with only one project on the go.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

It will be interesting to see stats and finished plane

Just out of curiosity, David: why did you give them a coat of silver before playing Dr Frankenstein with them? Wouldn't it be more convenient to make the assembly, and then to basecoat them?

Oh, and I totally agree with Rob about your talent for parallel processing!

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Come to think of it , I sometimes lose parts with only one project on the go.
    Rob.
    With my builds I`ve kind of got into the habit of assuming some "hunt for dropped bits on the floor" time during the planning stage.

When looking at this I thought "Twin Mustang" but knowing what Clipper is like perhaps I shouldn`t encorage him!

How on earth do you juggle all these different projects at the same time Dave?
    I would lose essential parts from projects if I had several on the bench at the same time. Come to think of it , I sometimes lose parts with only one project on the go.
    Rob.
    At least you can find your workbench, Rob.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Usually conjoined twins are separated after birth, you on the other hand, join two perfectly beautiful kinder into one!

Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulring View Post
    Just out of curiosity, David: why did you give them a coat of silver before playing Dr Frankenstein with them? Wouldn't it be more convenient to make the assembly, and then to basecoat them?

Oh, and I totally agree with Rob about your talent for parallel processing!
    Normally I would have done them in clear base coats then joined them and painted them silver, but at the time these guys came in I was base coat priming with silver . . .

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    It will be interesting to see stats and finished plane
    Yes, and these guys too, or is it two?

Here it is with a variety of 109's awaiting paint. 2 F's, 2 E's and a Z! Will be working through the alphabet for sure . . .

I'd heard of the Zwilling but never seen the conjoined Heinkels before. What are they called and where were they used? The models look fantastic by the way.

They were really made to from two He 111's with a fifth engine in the joining wing to tow the huge Me 321 gliders, which I just happen to have as well, there are build threads on the hobby section a way back . . .

And then they added engines to the gliders and they became self propelled disasters!

Still need to make the towing rig and cards . . .

Really fantastic models!
    Many compliment for realization and documentation!

Carlo

Yet another great build Dave.
    Where did those monsters get to tow there gliders?
    Rob.

Brilliant, excellent models. Howw much fun would it be shooting these down.... With Gloucester Meteors!!!! (Ooops fantasising again sorry!)

Again the amazing Clipper and the Elves out do us all. I will wake up soon and find that this has all been a mad dream.................
    See you on the Dark Side......

What was the zwilling used for by the way?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Yet another great build Dave.
    Where did those monsters get to tow there gliders?
    Rob.
    From "Warplanes of the Third Reich", their first use was to be the invasion of Malta (Herkules) which was cancelled. After a couple more cancelled ops in the Med, they were sent to
    fly airlift for Stalingrad, but didn't get started with that until too late. Their first op was supply and evacuation for the Kuban bridgehead in Crimea.
    There was also a proposed bomber version; estimated range was 680 miles.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

As far as my research goes these with the P82 were the only zwillings that were truly conceived and built, too bad two : ( there was rumor of a zwillings Do 335 though . . . : )

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    As far as my research goes these with the P82 were the only zwillings that were truly conceived and built, too bad two
    I assume you meant fighter zwillings, as the He-111Zs did fly.

[QUOTE=clipper1801;287148]( there was rumor of a zwillings Do 335 though . . . : )[/QUOTE

Also known as the Ju-635 (Junkers was going to build it).
    Most kit-bashers take 2 Do-335s and "Zwill" them, which was the original idea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	do335zmb_3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	131349

The approved Junkers concept made a number of changes, including to the cockpits:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ju635ai2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	131350

Both concepts were for long range recon.
    Karl

Thus proving it took two of anything the Germans built to equal one American airplane.... >;)

Many compliment for the convertion!
    I have all dragon's kit of Do 335 (in progress).
    What base kit have you used?
    Bye
    Carlo

Many compliment for the convertion!
    I have all dragon's kit of Do 335 (in progress).
    What base kit have you used?
    Bye
    Carlo

In tidying up the workbench I found this orphan . . .

The victim of an savage X-acto attack, I decided to have compassion and get it into the air . . .

It does look cool . . .

Pencil lead to pick up the canopy on the one side

Went with a late '44 color scheme - like the yellow tips!

I'd call that a bit more than tidying Dave.
    Another fine addition to the Axis war effort.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 09:31