Ares Games

Thread: OTT Early Doors prequel 2: Let the hunt begin

Default OTT Early Doors prequel 2: Let the hunt begin

A dark cloud filled the briefing room with the news of the downing of Richter and Klein. Richter will be back, but Klein is gone. Flight leader Obltn Hartwig Alder did not take the news well. He carefully thought out how to even the score. So far everyone had been flying around like there was no real war. Spotting and recon photography, almost a game. Now it is serious as the English have brought the reality of the war home. New training will begin to make sure this flight will not again be taken by surprise.
    Hartwig, in his recent flying, took notice that opposite them the British flew regular scouting missions over the lines. He noticed that they regularly fly just over the lines, up and down gathering information, then scooting back to safety when they see a German plane approaching from the east. He conceived a plan to take advantage of their clock work routine.

He carefully went over his Eindeckker, everything looked in good order. Today he will test his plan. He will surprise the next British pilot by approaching from the west! He set off an hour before the regular enemy recon should appear. He flew a bit west of the lines where he knew he would not cause any alarm and waited.....

Sure enough, right on time came the Englisher, 2lt William Tuffield, in a French built Morane-Saulnier.
    Time to avenge Dear Felix.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-1.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	130121

The Brit was heading south, Hartwig at his 3 O’Clock. As soon as the Tuffield realized he was in a bad position he turned back to cross the lines to safety. Hartwig could see his eyes wide open in fear through his goggles as they passed.

Name:	2-2.JPG 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	130122

Hartwig banked sharply anticipating the Brit’s evasive action.

Name:	2-3.JPG 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	130123

He squeezed off a few rounds from 30 yards peppering the engine, setting it on fire.

Name:	2-4.JPG 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	130124

The stunned Englishman hesitated, not a wise thing to do with Hartwig lining up another shot. Another pulse of bullets into the engine and that was all that Hartwig needed to do. The Morane-Saulnier could take no more. The engine seized up almost ripping itself out
    of the fuselage. How it stayed attached to the plane was beyond William as flames ate away at its connections.

Name:	2-5.JPG 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	130125

Hartwig followed the tumbling MS towards the ground. Tuffield somehow righted his craft just before impact. Not pretty thought William but at least he was alive. Hartwig watched at the English pilot slowly made his way into a wood as the Morane was totally engulfed by fire.

Hartwig felt a sense of satisfaction in downing the Englishman without a bullet touching his own kite. Felix, this one’s for you.

Name:	2-6.JPG 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	130126

Name:	2-7.JPG 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	130127

William Tuffield EXP ET / WIA / - 3 scenarios

Hartwig Alder RTB / 1 Kill
    Last edited by flash; 05-16-2014 at 05:06. Reason: fix prefix

Blimey ! That was short and sweet Pete - Alder certainly avenged his fallen comrade on that outing, Tuffield was lucky to walk away from that one, bet he's counting his lucky stars.
    One thing with the tally is to only include WIA for wounds taken in the air ie on the cards. William Tuffield: EXP ET / 0 kills - skip 3 scenarios.
    Can I take it you rolled for Tuffields E&E from ET ? If so let me know if any result is him hiding as that is shown differently to wounds on the spreadsheet. Ta !

Short and sweet indeed Pete - though I guess we all need to get used to that as these early birds have such weak airframes that two or three bursts will often send them down!

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Short and sweet indeed Pete - though I guess we all need to get used to that as these early birds have such weak airframes that two or three bursts will often send them down!
    As I indeed discovered to my own cost Brian.
    However, there isn't much you can do about the dread "Bang" card.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Blimey ! That was short and sweet Pete - Alder certainly avenged his fallen comrade on that outing, Tuffield was lucky to walk away from that one, bet he's counting his lucky stars.
    One thing with the tally is to only include WIA for wounds taken in the air ie on the cards. William Tuffield: EXP ET / 0 kills - skip 3 scenarios.
    Can I take it you rolled for Tuffields E&E from ET ? If so let me know if any result is him hiding as that is shown differently to wounds on the spreadsheet. Ta !
    For Tuffield I first rolled Crashing and Wounded Effects Table, then again on the Escaping Enemy Territory Table. He was injured from the crash, losing 2 scenarios, then went into hiding losing another. Ok, from now on full disclosure. Wasn't sure how you wanted post battle info.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    As I indeed discovered to my own cost Brian.
    However, there isn't much you can do about the dread "Bang" card.
    Rob.
    So far I have just abruptly ended my battles when the BOOM card appears. I saw Scafloc using another critical hit card and was surprised his BOOMED foe still flew on. I liked that, probably will incorporate something similar if that is acceptable. I felt abused by the game, setting aside the time, setting up, and it was over too fast!

Smile

Boy that was brutally quick.
    Never saw a Morane go down so fast.
    Thinks!: Kytes BE went down even quicker!

Two shots and down she went. I think Kyte's went down in one!

What a result, just goes to show, always keep your eyes peeled. Great result Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    So far I have just abruptly ended my battles when the BOOM card appears. I saw Scafloc using another critical hit card and was surprised his BOOMED foe still flew on. I liked that, probably will incorporate something similar if that is acceptable. I felt abused by the game, setting aside the time, setting up, and it was over too fast!
    I've been tinkering with my random event table again. Deleted the old one and the new is in the queue under house rules. I will be using this when the BOOM card appears. When I get time I'll make a card deck out of it.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT Early Doors prequal 2: Let the hunt begin..but who is hunting who?
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 05:17
  2. AAR OTT Early Doors Prequel#2 - Let The Hunt Begin (Archidamus - Entente)
    By Archidamus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 05:04
  3. AAR Early Doors Prequel 2 " Let the hunt begin." (Kyte)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 08:04
  4. AAR Let the Hunt Begin ! 31-Dec-15 OTT ED Prequel Scenario #2
    By WWIflyingace in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 17:42
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 15:09