Ares Games

Thread: Trouble finding the special modified decks

Default Trouble finding the special modified decks

I've been looking over the various charts and files regarding playing stats for unreleased planes, and I think they're great!

One thing confuses me, though ... Several of the recommended maneuver decks have an asterisk next to then, such as the G* deck, the J* deck and the D* deck. I've looked around the forums and file sections, but I can't seem to find how to create those decks. Where are the special deck details? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

-- Eris

I believe you remove the Immelmann turn card from the deck.

The J* deck has been replaced by the new (and identical) V deck. It's a J deck with a sideslip each side removed.

The G* deck is just a G deck without an Immelman.

The A* deck is the A deck one sideslip on either side removed - but further research has shown this to be un-necessary, A deck will do.

The Kettering Bug really needs its own special rules, even the XA deck is much too fast. You'll find them at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1600

If you downloaded the spreadsheet Eris the info usually appears in the notes section in column J.

The Kettering Bug really needs its own special rules, even the XA deck is much too fast. You'll find them at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1600[/QUOTE]

I know what a Kettering Bug is but I don't understandd what this is. What do you use these cards for?

Thanks for the help!

My main confusion was about the special decks that weren't listed on the spreadsheet, such as the J* deck, which the custom cards for the FE2b indicated should be used.

I also saw the D* deck mentioned somewhere, but now that I look through the files again I can't seem to find which plane was supposed to use it (although I did find a file by Rabbit 3 containing a custom card he created just for the purpose of making a normal D deck into a D* deck).

Although I had actually seen the explanation for the G* deck on the "Unofficial Stats" spreadsheet, I listed it in my question at the top of this thread because I was wondering if there was a central file or something concerning all of the special "*" decks.

So now it appears to me that if I have a question about any of the decks used by custom plane cards, I should always refer to the "Available 1/144 Aircraft - Unofficial Stats" file as the primary approved source of information, and realize that the latest version of that spreadsheet trumps any other files out there.

And if I have any questions about that spreadsheet, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look over the "Tools for Working out Statistics" file as well (although that file has become a little out of date).

On a final note, is it possible to get a copy of Rabbit 3's earlier "FE2" custom-card file? In the latest version, although he agrees that the J* (a.k.a. V) deck should be used for the FE2d, Rabbit 3 expresses a bit of reluctance about assigning the J* to the FE2b because of that earlier engine's limited power. I agree with his logic regarding which deck to use for the FE2b, so I'm wondering if I can still download the file where he has the K deck listed for that plane's maneuvers.

Tally ho, and see you in the skies!

-- Eris

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The Kettering Bug really needs its own special rules, even the XA deck is much too fast. You'll find them at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1600
    I know what a Kettering Bug is but I don't understand what this is. What do you use these cards for?
    Ok, the Kettering bug as you know is a robot aerial torpedo. A cruise missile in modern parlance, though with primitive guidance.
    If due to a cross-wind it goes off course, the gyros will automatically set the controls to correct that. Similarly, an altimeter will set it to dive if the air pressure is too low, and climb if the air pressure is too high.

The main problem in simulating this in WGF is that the thing is just too darned slow. 50mph. The length on a movement card would have to be negative, as a zero length arrow corresponds to about 65mph.

How you use these cards is explained in this thread - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-Kettering-Bug

But you can get the idea by looking at the illustration below:

As you can see, it moves less than a card length.

Similar Missions

1. Modified climb rules with 2 AARs
    By Lord_Ninja in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 12:46
  2. Finding minis on Shapeways
    By Pseudotheist in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 20:21
  3. Need help finding decals
    By DJensen in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14