Ares Games

Thread: P 51 Mods! Yikes! I shouldn't . . .

Default P 51 Mods! Yikes! I shouldn't . . .

Places you should not go . . .

I ran across this drawing and it has obsessed or possessed me . . . where are those extra Mustangs . . . do you see what I see?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes, I see madness! lol
    I tend to see exactly the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    I tend to see exactly the same!
    For Gawds sake don't show him a picture of the P-82/F-82

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    For Gawds sake don't show him a picture of the P-82/F-82
    Why not if it keeps him happy.
    Think of all the job creation for Elves.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yeah, the P-82 will take a LOT of adjusting, not much translates from the P-51-mostly the canopies! The Me-109Z now that's on the bench as we type . . . : )

I admit I rather like the razor-backed fighters (P-51 and P-47) better than the bubble-tops.
    I can't wait to see how you do this.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I admit I rather like the razor-backed fighters (P-51 and P-47) better than the bubble-tops.
    I can't wait to see how you do this.
    Karl
    I agree, so the first order of business is the canopy. I need a framed one the right size and shape, and I do like them clear, hmmm what mini has such a canopy?

Thankfully the F4 canopy can be carefully prised off the model with little effort . . . just right! Then I remembered making props for my early birds from thick CA poured into clay molds . . .

Sliced off a bit of green clay, carefully pressed the F4 canopy into the clay . . . even more carefully removed the canopy and presto! A cavity mold complete with frames! Did it again a few more times for the production run . . .

Add a few drops of thick CA, filling the mold with a slight crown of glue . . .

A spritz of CA Accelerator . . .

And the hard part, letting it cure . . .

We will see . . .

Sadly the CA stuck to the green clay and made a great "green" canopy-I am redoing this with clear dental molding wax, stay tooned!
    Last edited by clipper1801; 04-17-2014 at 15:24.

Waiting for the next thrilling installment of "Clipper1801"

Do you have to subscribe to this Channel, wonder if the whole series will be available in a box set!!

Coming on well Dave, although I'm a bit surprised that you did not use clear casting resin for the canopy.
    Rob.

I'm interested to see how those canopies turn out. Everytime I use a kicker on CA, it gets a yellowish-green tint to it and often leave tiny crack lines or bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Coming on well Dave, although I'm a bit surprised that you did not use clear casting resin for the canopy.
    Rob.
    Yes I have a number of options on hand, but wanted to try something within the reach of most modelers . . . : )

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I agree, so the first order of business is the canopy. I need a framed one the right size and shape, and I do like them clear, hmmm what mini has such a canopy?

Thankfully the F4 canopy can be carefully prised off the model with little effort . . . just right! Then I remembered making props for my early birds from thick CA poured into clay molds . . .

Sliced off a bit of green clay, carefully pressed the F4 canopy into the clay . . . even more carefully removed the canopy and presto! A cavity mold complete with frames! Did it again a few more times for the production run . . .

Add a few drops of thick CA, filling the mold with a slight crown of glue . . .

A spritz of CA Accelerator . . .

We will see . . .

I am once again in awe of your skills!
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/att...6&d=1397744773
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I lost a canopy for a Mig 17 and now you show a simple way for me to make one. You are a mad scientist for sure. Thanks

Fantastic tips. Thanks for sharing.

Just found this on Google, someone showing us the differences in the twin P51 Mustang conversion-not so clean as many think!

Looks like those desiring a P-82 should talk to a Shapeways designer.
    Karl

Meanwhile, the elves have been busy . . . a bit of plastic carved off the bottom of the nose

And a trim off of the dorsal fin . . .

Mix a bit of epoxy putty . . .

for the top nose scoop

now to the turtle back . . .

Oh! More daring stuff Dave.
    Pour me a stiff G&T Mrs K.
    That's better.
    Rob.

A bit of progress here . . . nose scoop sanded

Made a mold off the P-40 mini for the canopy and turtle deck from epoxy

Tops of the metal fuselages ground flat . . .

Next to glue them on!

And we are sanding!

Last edited by clipper1801; 05-07-2014 at 13:30.

Looks like rather more work (and fussy detail work at that) than the Fw-190 conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Waiting for the next thrilling installment of "Clipper1801"

Do you have to subscribe to this Channel, wonder if the whole series will be available in a box set!!
    I have a whole folder in my computer titled "Clipper's Book or Secrets"
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I have a whole folder in my computer titled "Clipper's Book or Secrets"
    "_Clipper Treasure: Book Of Secrets_"....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    "_Clipper Treasure: Book Of Secrets_"....

So, two P-51D's walk into my lair, they are met by friendly elves, then suddenly they are part of the Witness Protection Program, emerging as A-36 Apaches! I could not resist the black and white splinter pattern . . .

Bottom view - very GROOVY!

Then "Piggy III" caught my eye . . .

I think I am done with the P-51 for now . . .

Apaches only ever had 3-blade props (Allison engines), and only four guns in the wings (the other two, when mounted, were on the underside of the nose).

Similar Missions

1. Stripes! Yikes!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 06:28