Ares Games

Thread: Before there were Fighters-WW1 Prequel Scenario #1 (WWIflyingace - Entente) 2nd try

Default Before there were Fighters-WW1 Prequel Scenario #1 (WWIflyingace - Entente) 2nd try

Charles Henry Smith and I were discussing our latest mission when we stumbled upon newcomers to the squadron. As the year grew old we received a new crop of pilots and observers for the two-seaters.

I offered my hand in fellowship, “Welcome gents,” but before I finished I was interrupted.

“Bloody hell! Where on earth did you get that accent?” The ‘gent’ replied as he took my hand

Smith, Smithy, interjected, “He’s an American. Know as Cowboy by his friends.”

“A Yank?”

“He’s the ace the other chaps were telling us about. I’m Runnells, Job Runnells. This is Noah Packard and those chaps there are John Alden and Moses Hall.”

“Pleased to meet all of you, but it’s a bit premature to call me an ace. One of my kills was unconfirmed.”

“Be that as it may you still have four confirmed Eindecker kills, eh? Single-handedly ended the scourge by yourself I’d say,” Job replied.

I shrugged, “If you say so.”

“I do.”

The Smithy added, “Let us show you chaps around.”

We meet up with Lewis Barr and Charles King and shared our tales with the new comers. Soon enough they would be getting a taste of flying on the front…

Job was excited to be tagged for the recon mission. John Alden was to be his gunner/observer.

"So Johnny, nervous?"

"In a word... Yes."

"Me too. Well we'd best be off."

The ground crew gave Job a thumbs up and he quickly checked the instruments before nodding. The blocks were released and the BE2 rolled forward. She was a big bird and took her time getting airborne. It was early in the morning. They were to get in, take pictures and get out. Simple!

Just one thing; the Huns had the same idea. There right in front of them as they neared No Man's Land was an Albatros.

"We have company," Job yelled over the wind.

John simply nodded and cocked the Lewis gun.

"In we go Johnny!"

Job banked the BE2 to the right keeping out of the Albatros' firing arc and John peppered it.

Attachment 132105

Attachment 132106

Attachment 132107

Attachment 132108

The Albatros then turned towards the BE2. The combatants were at first too far to shoot at one another, but they soon closed. John and the Albatros gunner exchanged fire until the Hun gunner collapsed.

Attachment 132109

Attachment 132110

Attachment 132111

Attachment 132112

The Albatros then disappeared into the clouds. Only to reappear moments later.

Attachment 132113

Attachment 132114

Attachment 132115

"He's coming on!" Yelled John.

Job looked over his shoulder seeing the Albatros closing fast. He held course to allow John the best possible shots. John made it count; flames erupted from the Albatros.

Attachment 132116

Attachment 132117

Attachment 132118

John continued firing until the Albatros' nose dipped and she started down.

Attachment 132119

"I got her, I got her, I got her!"

Job smiled, "Good work Johnny. What say we complete the mission and head home?"

"Roger that!"
    Last edited by WWIflyingace; 05-06-2014 at 13:22.

The Butcher's Bill:

BE2 crew:
    Runnels, Job / RTB / - / 1 shared victory
    Alden, John / RTB / - / 1 shared victory

Hun crew were both KIA

Attachment 132120

As promised the prequel with a two-seater. I got tired of waiting for my shapeways aircraft to show up so I used a Breguet 14 I recently acquired to represent a BE2.

Nice AAR, nice pics and a nice substitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    Nice AAR, nice pics and a nice substitution.
    To right there Kelly

Thank you gentlemen!

Jolly good flying by that BE2 Crew Chuck. I have never achieved anything as good as that with my BE yet.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT Prequel 1 Before their were Fighters.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 11:29
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 08:16
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 08:08
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 00:59
  5. BRF "Before there were Fighters"---An Early Doors WW1 Prequel Scenario #1
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 25