Ares Games

Thread: A couple of newbie questions re maneuver decks

MrMT

Default A couple of newbie questions re maneuver decks

Just played my first game, and wanted to check:
    A) is it normal that different planes have a different number of cards in their maneuver decks? D deck has more cards than the a deck, for example.
    B) is it normal that a plane - such as the Fokker dr - has a shap right turn but not a sharp left turn? Why might this be? Is it to do with the torque of the engine?

A. Yes. This demonstrates the different capabilities of the given aircraft.

B. Yes; you are spot on.

This is one of the great characteristics in Wing of Glory. Each plane flys differently.

MrMT

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    This is one of the great characteristics in Wing of Glory. Each plane flys differently.
    Yep - I had assumed all would have the same number of cards though. I wondered if I had lost some!

By the way, playing basic, I assumed you keep on reusing the cards after the three moves... ie the ones you used don't get discarded. Is that correct? It seems more realistic to have freedom of action.

Mark,
    Welcome to the 'drome.

Each plane has different flying characteristics and speed. Compare the straight cards between decks, and notice the lengths of the arrows. This makes a big difference in maneuvering. Try setting up two "pilons" on a table, and " flying" a "figure 8" in different planes, as an example of the differences.

The decks represent all the moves a plane could make in a given turn. Every turn, you choose from the same deck. They are not "used up". There are some rules limitations, as in you can't play two stalls, or steep maneuvers together. Some house rules have cards removed from the deck to represent damage, but this is not in the written rules. Some planes have only two tight turn cards, others three, reflecting limitations in turning radii. Some have extra sideslips, or extreme sideslips. All have basic maneuvers and turns. So, you'll find that different maneuver decks have different numbers of cards. BTW: all the cards have very small " x/y" (number/number) at the bottom, so you can tell that you have all the cards for a particular deck.

Mike

Hi Mark.
    I never did get your Wingman request through.
    Try sending it again.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. A few newbie questions about the game.
    By drsid in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 20:57
  2. couple of questions
    By va beach ace in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 13:38
  3. richard bradley solo newbie questions
    By Ludobrabo in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 13:24
  4. Looking for a couple H maneuver decks.
    By domshen in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 10:40
  5. Newbie questions
    By Rick57 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 04:24