Ares Games

Thread: Blind spot two seater

Steve Pee

Exclamation Blind spot two seater

Optional rule for blind spot seems to indicate that a target in the blind spot but at long range can be hit this correct.

Yes, at long range they can still be shot. The thinking is that it is easier to shoot around the tail structure at a target further out due to angles and such than it is to shoot at one right on top of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes, at long range they can still be shot. The thinking is that it is easier to shoot around the tail structure at a target further out due to angles and such than it is to shoot at one right on top of you.
    At first I thought this was counter-intuitive... a cone of fire being more narrow the closer you get to its source. But that would apply most appropriately to a stationary point of origin. Assuming the two-seater is in motion relative the trailing aircraft, then shooting around the tail at at more distant target becomes a little easier to accept.

Think of that cone of fire, as you move further from the point of origin, you have an increasing larger area of coverage. So a target sitting just off your tail could be a much smaller area of coverage and most likely large portions of that would be hidden by your tail. A target further back would be in a much larger area of coverage and even the slights change in posistion of your plane would clear your tail from covering the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Think of that cone of fire, as you move further from the point of origin, you have an increasing larger area of coverage. So a target sitting just off your tail could be a much smaller area of coverage and most likely large portions of that would be hidden by your tail. A target further back would be in a much larger area of coverage and even the slights change in posistion of your plane would clear your tail from covering the target.
    That's how I've come to see it... I just didn't say it so well.

I figured that was what you were getting at.

Gazerfoxie

It also gives a nice meta reason for a pilot to strive for that optimum in-close, up-the-kilt position, without making it suicidal.

I've imagined it with the aircraft in motion.
    The pursuing aircraft will be bobbing and moving around in the air behind the two seater.

Close to, the aircraft will be moving a lot, and while a larger target, and easier to hit, the gunner will want to be much more cautious, for fear of loosing sight of his own tail while tracking the target and blowing the blooming thing off.

At a distance these movements will be smaller, from the point of view of the observer [in both senses of the word].
    So while the target is much smaller, and harder to hit, it's easier to let off a few rounds without the risk of tracing a line of bullets across your own surfaces.

I've no idea if that's what's intended, but it makes sense to me.

Similar Missions

1. 2-Seater Blind Spot
    By KirkH in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 14:21
  2. Roland blind spot rule - confirmation
    By Ludobrabo in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 06:52
  3. Blind Spot rule of no use?
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 8