Ares Games

Thread: Why is so much WoG stuff not in the shops?

Question Why is so much WoG stuff not in the shops?

This is possibly a discussion that has been had before, but as a newly commissioned second lieutenant, not understanding the supply cycle is making it difficult for me to plan my future expenditure.

My question, simply put, is why are so many items in the current Ares WoG range simply unavailable anywhere online?

First I understand that some items are currently no longer available with Ares.
    Currently the website lists these as:
    Sold Out (possibly available at the retail or distributor level)
    SGN001 – Sails of Glory – Starter Set
    WGA501 - Wings of Glory Bag of 100 Additional Flight Stands
    WGA502A/B/C - Wings of Glory Game Mats
    WGF105 - WW1 Wings of Glory - Fokker E.III/A.III Airplane Pack ("A" and "B" versions)
    WGF108 - WW1 Wings of Glory - AirCo DH.2 Airplane Pack ("B" and "C" versions)
    WGF301 - WW1 Wings of Glory – Caproni Ca.3 Special Pack
    WGF302 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Gotha G. V Special Pack
    WGS001 - WW2 Wings of Glory - Starter Set
    Then where is the other stuff and how do I get it, without paying well over the usual price?
    I've certainly learnt to become suspicious of any store that says it will order an item in....

And why don't the big stockists just get the stuff that's missing back in stock if Ares still have it?

I know that there are some of the sellers on here, so are you able to share?
    [I'm obviously interested in the situation in the UK, but I'll take knowledge from anyone.]

OK, let's look at your list:

• SGN001 – Sails of Glory – Starter Set: I do not know
    • WGA501 - Wings of Glory Bag of 100 Additional Flight Stands: I do not know
    • WGA502A/B/C - Wings of Glory Game Mats: will be a new reedition
    • WGF105 - WW1 Wings of Glory - Fokker E.III/A.III Airplane Pack ("A" and "B" versions): probably sold, but here in Prague there is a shop with them - PM
    • WGF108 - WW1 Wings of Glory - AirCo DH.2 Airplane Pack ("B" and "C" versions): probably sold, but here in Prague there is a shop with them - PM
    • WGF301 - WW1 Wings of Glory – Caproni Ca.3 Special Pack: will be a new reedition
    • WGF302 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Gotha G. V Special Pack: will be a new reedition
    • WGS001 - WW2 Wings of Glory - Starter Set: I do not know, sorry

Sorry, you've misunderstood the question.

I was asking, ignoring those items which are not currently available from Ares [the ones in the list], why is some other stuff so difficult to source?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Ares doesn't sell direct to retailers (at least in Europe - I don't know the arrangements in the US, although I think they're similar) but through distributors, who may only get a shipment every few months, so that's the main issue. I also get the impression that the British one at least simply isn't ordering in the quantities they used to - the last couple of series haven't exactly flown off the shelf, and I think they've over-compensated in cutting their order, as the new 2-seaters sold out at the distributors in about a fortnight, with the more popular schemes gone in days. (There was a similar issue with Series 6 - the SSW D.IIIs sold out in short order, and then there was a month or two delay before another shipment was available.) Now they'll certainly get more in, but as far as I know Ares only warehouses stuff in the US, so I'd guess that'll be several weeks by surface shipping, from whenever they actually put an order in. This means there's going to be a hefty lead time.

Right now, as a UK retailer, there's a pretty short list of what I can actually order straight away from the distributor - they restocked quite a few bits at the same time as their Series 7 stuff arrived, but that got picked clean in short order. I try to stock fairly deep when stuff's available, so still have stock of most aircraft types, but not necessarily in all colour schemes - the more popular ones can disappear quite fast, and the series 7 2-seaters have gone in weeks, which seems to apply across the board. As for price, with availability patchy, and less competition (since many retailers have given up on it) there seems to be more of a trend to charge rrp or even a little higher - I'm still selling at 10% off rrp, which was pretty standard when I started off, but seems to be less so now. That trend may reverse, especially if a series does well enough to restore confidence in sales, but that'll only happen if supply improves - we may be in a bit of a vicious circle there.

Dom.
    Last edited by Dom S; 04-10-2014 at 05:39.

Thumbs up

Thank you, Dom.

That is all the information I was looking for.

So in short, what I understand from that is:
    • What's available is what's available; get 'em while they're 'ot, they're love-erly.
    • Most things are likely to come back into stock at some point, but ordering something out of stock is likely to take [possibly many] months rather than days or weeks.
    • The times given for new releases are likely to be misleading (at least in the UK), they won't be available until a while after that; when they are they might sell out very quickly.
    • If I really want something, I might have to pay more for it, even if that's just to have it shipped from a different continent.
    • I need to put aside the rising anxiety that I might never be able to own every model; chances are I won't and that's all there is to it.

I assume you're the Dom who supplied me with both the current Capronis (now unavailable practically anywhere else and likely to remain so) and Immelmann's EIII (also unavailable practically anywhere else, and not in stock at Ares).
    In which case I am now twice in your debt.
    Last edited by QB Fox; 04-10-2014 at 05:48.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

[*]What's available is what's available; get 'em while they're 'ot, they're love-erly.

- Yes, ish.... The range has always been produced in batches, so all items will sell out sooner or later. Models will eventually get produced again, but the timeframe for that is years, and paint schemes mainly different.

[*]Most things are likely to come back into stock at some point, but ordering something out of stock is likely to take [possibly many] months rather than days or weeks.

- Probably. If a retailer doesn't have stock, but the distributor does, it'll be 1-2 days, but if the distributor's out (common of late) you're into long lead times. To be honest I'd steer clear of doing so.

[*]The times given for new releases are likely to be misleading (at least in the UK), they won't be available until a while after that; when they are they might sell out very quickly.

- Yes. Ares new release "street dates" are for the US. Europe gets them some weeks later - there was one release that hit both continents pretty much simultaneously, but that was a fluke (customs delay onmthe US shipment....)

[*]If I really want something, I might have to pay more for it, even if that's just to have it shipped from a different continent.

- Depends, but possibly. If you want it *now* and/or it's sold out at Ares, that's likely to be the case. If you can wait, not so much.

[*]I need to put aside the rising anxiety that I might never be able to own every model; chances are I won't and that's all there is to it.

- Probably. You can definitely get every aircraft type from the Ares era, barring the Gothas which have a reprint on the way, but will struggle to find every colour scheme. The old Wings Of War stuff is very rare outside of Ebay though,, and can command crazy prices for some types (D.VII, SE5a) so is pretty much forget it. In time Ares will bring those types back (D.VIIs hopefully this year) but that's a long term project.

I assume you're the Dom who supplied me with both the current Capronis (now unavailable practically everywhere and likely to remain so) and Immelmann's EIII (also unavailable practically everywhere, and not in stock at Ares)

- That does sound familiar....

In which case I am now twice in your debt.

- Not at all.

Cheers,
    Dom.

I'll add some of my "insider" knowledge as well. Ares does not order a reprint of a plane until all color schemes of that type have sold out at the warehouse. This means that really popular planes in a given series can go out of stock months or even years before their brothers. Leaving a large void for that plane/paint scheme for a very long time. The fact that the mold for each series produces one of each of the four aircraft of that series. We are most likely going to see evidence of this when the reprint of Series 2 hits the stores this summer. The D.VIIs are going to sell out in months while the Snipe and two-seaters are going to sit on the shelves for a while. One of the D.VIIs I'm expecting to go out of stock at the disto level in 3-4 months.

Here in the US, retails store go through distributors as well (my friend that owns the local game store does at least). I purchase directly from Ares however. I'm not sure if any other stores do, or if I'm unique because of my relationship with them.

Thank you, Lieutenant Colonel.

That's all good to know.

This is the reason I do my preorders for the whole set to get the planes when they come out. Maybe an idea for the repaints would be for the planes that sell the most to do different paint schemes on them. I think the most obvious would be Dr1/Albatross's/Fokker's/ SPAD"s/Nieuport's/Camel's. There are so many schemes that could be done just for those planes.

If that is how they work, then we are unlikely ever to see a reprint of say WGS series 2 because some of its planes are so unpopular.

Whilst my youngest lived here in the States he belonged to a used game trading site, bartertown or something like that, he posted a note that I was in the market for used WOW minis and game sets which within a week yielded a dozen boxes at the door and around 30 minis and one or two each of the game versions, many WWII sets. Since I was not into WWII then I just stacked them in the corner. Now I have a collection complete except for the first WWII Deluxe set. But that was a year ago . . . Notes with my interest and offers of ready cash at all the game stores brought in a dozen odd minis as well. Just a few ideas . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Whilst my youngest lived here in the States he belonged to a used game trading site, bartertown or something like that, he posted a note that I was in the market for used WOW minis and game sets which within a week yielded a dozen boxes at the door and around 30 minis and one or two each of the game versions, many WWII sets. Since I was not into WWII then I just stacked them in the corner. Now I have a collection complete except for the first WWII Deluxe set. But that was a year ago . . . Notes with my interest and offers of ready cash at all the game stores brought in a dozen odd minis as well. Just a few ideas . . .

I'm so jealous! Love the WW2 stuff. I know I know the Lord says not to be. I'm working on it.

Thomas

Tom, I've seen your WGS stuff... no need to be jealous at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If that is how they work, then we are unlikely ever to see a reprint of say WGS series 2 because some of its planes are so unpopular.
    No fears on that part sir, WGS reprint releases are getting a major overhaul.

Bartertown.com is A Miniatures Trading Forum

It could be a good way to find some of the old & rare planes.

See: http://www.bartertown.com/trading/

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Which is a shame... love the Hurricane. Not that I need any more Hurricanes... far too many in the hangar to see the table all at once, if that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    No fears on that part sir, WGS reprint releases are getting a major overhaul.
    That, sir, is great news for those new to the game!

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    That, sir, is great news for those new to the game!
    Also to those of us who are still bulking up our collection because we came late to WWII.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Also to those of us who are still bulking up our collection because we came late to WWII.
    Rob.
    I doubt few of us need bulking up this late in the game

I doubt few of us need bulking up this late in the game
    I resemble that remark Herr Oberst!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I noticed these days that 1) the local comic/games store still has no planes of the series 7 and 2) nor does the online shop I used to buy them has them in stock. Actually they did cut down their WOG range quite dramatically. Perhaps it was just cleaning up their site from the sold-out ones, but both things look a bit odd to me. So now its the Aedrodrome store to me. Works pretty well and is cheaper than buying them here in Germany.

Björn, Sorry to hear you have no local options. I try and support my LFGS as much as I can and suggest others to the same. Thank you for trusting me with your business, I'll do my best to meet all your needs.

I think WGS is different from the planes of WWI. The only difference for the WWII planes would be the squadron markings as most had the same standard paint scheme. The WWI planes were more distinctive in their paint schemes so would be a bit more harder for them to be repainted. Something ARES could consider for WWII would be to issue 4 planes with different aircraft marking within the squadron. For example the P-51 (Landers WZ-I) is painted for the 84th FS/78th FG. They would have the basic paint scheme and just change 1 letter for a different plane from that squadron.

Squadron packs are something they would like to do at some point. I've talked to them about that concept quite a bit.

Well, I'm fine with the current situation (as long there is a decent way to get planes). I rather wonder if the interest in WOG did fade a bit here. I hope not - perhaps the people who buy the shelf empty there went for another store (online) too - as long the WOG sales are doing ok, I don't really worry though.

Squadron packs are something they would like to do at some point. I've talked to them about that concept quite a bit.
    Keep talking to them, I would love to get them as well.

Thomas

Fox... I have felt your pain. I have to admit I have pain a few extra bucks for some of the out of print planes but as long as they see some flight time its all good.

I would definitely be interested in Squadron packs. Would be really cool if some of the planes would be similar to the term "special edition" Like a Josef Jacobs plane for example.

I really like the idea Nexus games had with the two balloon types and the different markings.

Why not release a repaint (maybe a S.E.5a or a Albatros D.Va) with a standart painting and add a set of decals to each miniature to get four different planes of the same squadron.

Maybe it's not realistic for the flying circus, with multiple colour patterns, but for a standart Jasta or squadron.

To return to the topic...

In general I have to say, that I'm happier with less WoG stuff instead of overcrowded shelves with WoG products that no one buys.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

One of the things I mentioned to the Ares rep at Origins last year, also. Plus expanding on the duel packs.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Bartertown.com is A Miniatures Trading Forum

It could be a good way to find some of the old & rare planes.

See: http://www.bartertown.com/trading/
    I wonder if Tina turner is still running it
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Just a quick heads-up, as with impeccable timing, the British distributor has just gotten a big restock in. Expecting a rather large parcel of WWI goodness in the morning....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Just a quick heads-up, as with impeccable timing, the British distributor has just gotten a big restock in. Expecting a rather large parcel of WWI goodness in the morning....
    Thanks. Good tip.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Brief one too from the looks of it - just had a call from the distributor to say they reduced the numbers on the 2-seaters in my order as they've been cleaned out again, so it looks like they might not last long. I managed to get a decent pile of Harvey/Waight fortunately, but only a few of each of the others. Filled a few gaps in the older series though, so it could be worse - eg. at least I have triplane vs Camel duel packs and SSW D.IIIs incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I wonder if Tina turner is still running it
    Karl
    HA!....I remember the Mad Max movies.....

I'll add some of my "insider" knowledge as well. Ares does not order a reprint of a plane until all color schemes of that type have sold out at the warehouse. This means that really popular planes in a given series can go out of stock months or even years before their brothers. Leaving a large void for that plane/paint scheme for a very long time. The fact that the mold for each series produces one of each of the four aircraft of that series. We are most likely going to see evidence of this when the reprint of Series 2 hits the stores this summer. The D.VIIs are going to sell out in months while the Snipe and two-seaters are going to sit on the shelves for a while. One of the D.VIIs I'm expecting to go out of stock at the disto level in 3-4 months.
    So the solution I see to get reprints with new paint schemes is for all of us to get out & buy more planes, until there's nothing left. Everything sells out=reprints on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    So the solution I see to get reprints with new paint schemes is for all of us to get out & buy more planes, until there's nothing left. Everything sells out=reprints on the way.
    I'll do my part.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Berel
    Sorties Flown

It can be pretty darn annoying, especially over here in the Netherlands there is only one(count ' em 1!!!) store that even stocks WoG. Players are also far and few between but I have lured in my gaming group. They normally play games from the company that must not be named(yeah that one) and since they are seeing the price hikes they are looking for other cool and easy to play games.
    Good thing is, the store is willing to stock more but it takes forever for him to get it.

Squadron packs would be awesome as I'd rather spend more in one go than wait forever as everything is sold out after two-three plane packs and needs months to resupply.

The squadron packs would be in addition to the standard plane packs we now have.

Similar Missions

1. London shops
    By Canestri10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 12:58
  2. Any wargames shops in Madrid or Toledo?
    By Guntruck in forum Spanish Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 12:12
  3. Old Model Shops
    By Doug in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 08:50
  4. Model shops in Brisbane/Surfers
    By Linz in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 17:50
  5. Shops in London