Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Site Challenge Coins

Saw about the coins in the new section but these photos are wonderful. The box is a very special addition.

This seems to be turning into a Trend -- this is maybe the third group I've actually acquired a coin from, and seen maybe half-a-dozen others for groups I'm not part of.

On one hand: I suspect this is causing some level of Annoyance amongst the group which put the practice on the map -- the military; on the other, Howard Tayler of _Schlock Mercenary_ phrased it best: "Loyalty should last longer than a T-shirt"....

Just got mine today: it's a real gem, with a nice heft to it.
    Great Job, Keith.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I know that you are very generous, Oberst Hajj, but a 100% saving means that they are free! In the Aerodrome Accessories shop Gear section it says,

Gear Wings of Glory Aerodrome Challenge Coin
    Product Code:CC-Site

Availability: In stock

$10.99
    Buy 10 for $8.99 each and save 100%

I know that what you meant to say was that by buying 10 coins at $8.99 each you are effectively buying 9 at the normal price and receiving one free.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 04-28-2014 at 18:25.

Thanks David. The code on the site that figures out the discount was messed up. It's fixed now.

Mine arrived today. Awesome job Keith! It looks great.

Okay chaps, let's see some pics of you and your coins!

I received my membership coin a couple days ago and have been meaning to get on here sooner and comment. Fist and foremost Thank you so much for the unbelievable speed in which it arrived. I was stunned at the turn around time from the initial email. Second a real beauty of a coin, great idea!

Mine has also arrived; it is currently living with the _Schlock Mercenary_ coins, and the Baen BarFly coin.

If these Challenge Coins are used to determine who pays for a round of drinks, is there some sort of ranking order to determine who loses if everyone has a different coin?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If these Challenge Coins are used to determine who pays for a round of drinks, is there some sort of ranking order to determine who loses if everyone has a different coin?
    I would say the order would be:

Site Coin > Gold Membership > Lend-Lease > Kill Coin > Ace Coin

The LL and Kill coins could be swapped though depending on how you view them. There are only ever 50 LL coins made, but they can essentually be bought where as the Kill coin is not a limited edition, but you have to have played in the Wings of Glory Aerodrome Invitational Tourney and shot someone done in order to get one. That will make them much harder to come by. After a couple years, I'll be making an Wings of Glory Aerodrome Invitational Ace coin. Someone would need to shoot down 5 planes (tracked from year to year) to earn this coin.

Or, he with the most coins wins. lol So if two people both had Gold Member coins and only one had a Site coin, the person with both coins comes out on top.

Traditionally, if everyone produces a coin the individual who issued the challenge pays for the round.

Note to self: bring coin to origins!

See the Rules Here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin
    Last edited by Tommy Z; 05-01-2014 at 08:34. Reason: added link to rules

Would have thought Gold membership would out rank Site Coin - as I have to wait months for mine I hate to think it's second rate before I get it !

I think that the Oberst has his inequality signs the wrong way around. I think that he meant

Site Coin < Gold Membership < Lend-Lease < Kill Coin < Ace Coin. (The open end points towards the greater quantity.)

I would personally favor the traditional way, as Tommy Z pointed out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Traditionally, if everyone produces a coin the individual who issued the challenge pays for the round. int
    See the Rules Here:
    It makes one think before challenging, as it should be
    Oh, Tommy: very much have the coin at Origins
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Traditionally, if everyone produces a coin the individual who issued the challenge pays for the round.

Note to self: bring coin to origins!

See the Rules Here:
    That's the way it works, but if someone ups the ante by producing a second coin...

That's why I'll be bring 37 coins to Origins

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I think that the Oberst has his inequality signs the wrong way around. I think that he meant

Site Coin < Gold Membership < Lend-Lease < Kill Coin < Ace Coin. (The open end points towards the greater quantity.)
    You are correct sir. I was actually not trying to use inequality signs, just arrows. But that was confusing

In my unit, as a gentlemanly agreement, once you lost a challenge you were "immune" from further challenges as long as you were in that particular establishment.

So are these challenges going to be coin pacific? If I issue a site coin challenge, can you pull out a Gold Member coin? Personally, I think not. So if I issue a site coin challenge and everyone has one.. I would typically have to buy the round.. but not if I had a Gold coin to up the ante of the challenge. Thoughts?

<------------- is worried he can't afford this game.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

These coins are a great idea Keith. A few posts back someone mentioned keeping the A-side and having the B-side for individual cons or gaming groups. Do you think this would work with my summer classes with the kids? If so, would every kid get a coin for just taking and finishing my WGF class or would they have fulfill a certain mission to receive a coin?

Any thoughts out there?

That sounds like a great idea, Blake.

Originally, you were planning on giving a single plane, correct?

Yes each student will take home a plane and maneuver deck. I was thinking about this coin also.

A set of coins could be done for your classes very easily. The only catch might be that the minimum number is 50. Not sure how many students you have join your classes. Of course, one order could last you a couple of years.

Remember that only persons can be challenged who actually posess such a coin. Persons who don't posses such a coin are immune to the challenge. Persons who possess such a coin but don't present them when challenged have to buy a round

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Remember that only persons can be challenged who actually posess such a coin.
    Indeed, otherwise said coin might find itself inserted somewhere painful

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    A set of coins could be done for your classes very easily. The only catch might be that the minimum number is 50. Not sure how many students you have join your classes. Of course, one order could last you a couple of years.
    It is possible that such an endeavor might expand beyond Blake's efforts, i.e. others doing something similar elsewhere.

Blake and I are going to resume an earlier conversation regarding grants. If some can be secured, such an expansion could become quite feasible. Similarly, if any expansion occurs, securing grants could become more feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Remember that only persons can be challenged who actually posess such a coin. Persons who don't posses such a coin are immune to the challenge. Persons who possess such a coin but don't present them when challenged have to buy a round
    Correct. You have to have been issued a coin and presented with the rules & obligations of the unit to be eligible. Wouldn't be fair to newer members.

Just ordered my Site coin to add to the many other coins I have.

Are there similar coins at the Sails of Glory site?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post
    Are there similar coins at the Sails of Glory site?
    No, there is not enough activity for such a thing yet. Once things gain momentum for that game, I'll look at doing coins for that site. It will also depend on how the coins do here of course.

Received my Site and LL coins today. Very nice and good job on them.

Just a thought but in the ABOUT ME section of your profile would it be possible to add your membership level and the date you started at that level? I know a email will be sent but some of mine go to the junk pile and I might miss the notice. I think if it was done that way it may make it easier to see when to renew their membership to keep the site up and running. Also in the long run maybe less work to remind people. Just a thought and some ramblings.

Hi Keith,

I received my coin in the mail yesterday, very nice indeed.

It's now sitting next to my Wings of Glory trophy from the Toowoomba comp last year.

Cheers,

Carl.

Mine arrived today. It is magnificent.
    A perfect size and so well struck.
    Thank you very much Herr Oberst.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Just a thought but in the ABOUT ME section of your profile would it be possible to add your membership level and the date you started at that level? I know a email will be sent but some of mine go to the junk pile and I might miss the notice. I think if it was done that way it may make it easier to see when to renew their membership to keep the site up and running. Also in the long run maybe less work to remind people. Just a thought and some ramblings.
    Everything is auto renewed. So, unless someone changes that for their account via Paypal or cancels their membership (again via Paypal), their really is nothing to have to remember.

I'm glad everyone is liking the coins. A lot of time and effort went into getting them sorted out and everything. I'm personally very proud of them.

I'm personally very proud of them.
    You have every right to be sir.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I entered at the gold membership level but do not have the auto-renew on. Is this why I have not received a coin?

Peter, did you opt for the $5 a month or the whole $60 option?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I entered at the gold membership level but do not have the auto-renew on. Is this why I have not received a coin?
    I'm still waiting on mine as well, Peter. I'm hoping (and I'd be more than a little surprised) it's nothing more than a postal service issue.

Peter, did you opt for the $5 a month or the whole $60 option?
    I went for the $60. I turned off the auto renew but plan on keeping up my membership. Its a control thing!

Chris, since they are landing in Old Blighty I don't think it can be the USPS. Maybe, but not likely, so thought
    I'd inquire. I'll probably get the 2014 Airlift coin too as at least I can say I won the 3rd raffle!

Peter, PM me the email address you use for paypal please. I'll sort it out.

My gold membershiip coin arrived yesterday. Only one word on it... Magnificent!

A great job Keith, thank you!

Just a question, is it possible to order the acrylic case or wooden box separately?

Keith, received mine yesterday.
    Many thanks, it looks lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    My gold membershiip coin arrived yesterday. Only one word on it... Magnificent!

A great job Keith, thank you!

Just a question, is it possible to order the acrylic case or wooden box separately?
    Sure. I'll need to add them to the site separately though. give me a couple of days, just started a Flight Test at work and so my schedule is all kinds of crazy for the next month and a half.

snip... just started a Flight Test at work and so my schedule is all kinds of crazy for the next month and a half.
    Flight testing a series 2 reprint I guess

I got mine in the mail yesterday. Looks great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Nouveau sur le site / Newbie on this site
    By Captain Froggy in forum French Wing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 21:27
  2. Site: Wings of Glory Aerodrome Challenge Coins?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 12:31
  3. Nieuport 17/23 Challenge
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 12:54
  4. D.III Challenge Voting
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 00:07
  5. The D.III Challenge!