Ares Games

Thread: April 6th 1941, Battle of Belgrade

Default April 6th 1941, Battle of Belgrade

On April 6th, 1941 (orthodox Easter) in the morning, German Reich attacked Kingdom of Yugoslavia, without declaring war. To honour the brave members of Yugoslav Royal Air Force, today we played a mission dedicated to defense of Belgrade that day. During bombing of Belgrade around 2200 people died, 627 buildings were destreyed, 627 heavily, and 6829 partially damaged. Also, National Library with 300 000 books, including medieval and earlier scripts was deliberately destroyed. According to relevant sources 42 to 48 German were shot down above Belgrade on 6th and 7th April. When it comes to Yugoslav planes, there is no relevant data, but that 11 pilots died during fights. Some estimates say that 30 Yugoslav planes were destroyed in air, and some unknown number on the airfields.

Mission 1, historically possible scenario
    Although large formations of enemy planes were noticed approaching Yugoslav capital, lonely Yugoslav pilot in Me 109 noticed detached group of three German airplanes, heading to Belgrade. Group comprised one Me 109, one Me 110 and one Stuka (carrying 3 bombloads). They targeted a bridge near Belgrade, which survived previous massive attack. Bridge was guarded by two AA batteries. Yugoslav pilot attacked Stuka, and well pointed bursts inflicted some damage, and burned the machine. German Me 110 entered the fight, aimed well, and in next three turns (together with shots from Stuka) Yugoslav pilot was wounded, suffering heavy damage (14 points aggregate). German Me 109 maneuvred around, with no significant part in this clash. Yugoslav pilot then tried to face Me 110 (other German fighter was out of the game, being outmaneuvered) while burning Stuka tried to approach to the bridge, worrying not only about flames, but about AA-batteries, too. Face-off went bad for Yugoslav pilot (damage was 0:8) which plummeted down from the sky. Fortunately, Stuka also was destroyed by flames, so bridge was saved, to allow Yugoslav troops to cross it.

Mission 2, Pacific theatre
    Two F-4s vs. two Zeros. Japanese opened fight well, delivering damage to first F-4. Even better for them, they managed to start fire on other F-4. But, then the tide turns. While burning F-4 suffers some, but not crucial damage from flames, also manages to shoot Sakai's Zero on the table age and deliver right rudder damage to him. It caused Sakai to leave the field, also leaving other Zero alone. Other Zero fought well, and ex-burning F-4 was reduced to 1 damage, but not destroyed. Yero also delivered some damage to other F-4, but, finally, met his end somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

Unfortunately, we didn't take pictures, but game was fun, which is always good ending of the gaming day

Interesting Yugoslavia scenario, Nemanja.

Not an easy job for the lone Serbian Meserschmitt.

The Germans wer supported by troops from Hungaria and Italy by the way.

In 1940 the Italians try to convince the Reich for a combined operation vs. Yugoslavia. The Germans refused, but need to react 1941 after the disastrous Italian try to occupy Greece.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

It was heavy job for Me 109, indeed, but luckily he managed to shoot down Stuka.

And yes, you are right. Yugoslavia was attacked on April 6th from Italy (Albania included), Germany (Austria included), Hungaria and Romania. Romanians didn't want to take part in fights, but allowed Axis troops to cross and didn't ask for territories later. On April 10th pro-nazi Independent State of Croatia seceded. So, invasion of Yugoslavia was over already on April 17th 1941. But, communist-organized uprising started already few months later, on July 7th 1941 in Serbia, 13th in Montenegro etc. and fights against Axis troops in Yugoslavia continued until May 15th 1945.

I even found something about last action of Tito's (communist) Air Force was on May 28th 1945 when some Stukas and Me 109s attacked some German troops. I must say I'm not quite sure did it happen or not, as officially war in Yugoslavia was over on May 15th, but it gives room for interesting solo scenario, anyway.

Great report, loved it. Wished you had photo recon. Maybe next time.

Thomas

Nice report, with a difference. Would have been great to see pics, prehaps next time?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Heroic last stand, good AAR Nemanja! This situation resembles me September 1939 in Poland. We did not have Me109 though...

Similar Missions

1. IK3, Yugoslav fighter, April War 1941
    By Пилот in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-03-2015, 12:16
  2. (WW2) RYAF Me 109 E3, April War 1941
    By Пилот in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 04:20
  3. WGSF: Battle of the April Storm
    By flash in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0