Ares Games

Thread: On this day 1 April - the first victory from shooting through propeller

Default On this day 1 April - the first victory from shooting through propeller

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	128381

Eugène Adrien Roland Georges Garros

On 1 April 1915, French pilot, Eugène Adrien Roland Georges Garros, a reconnaissance pilot with the Escadrille MS26, scored the first aerial victory by firing through the propeller of his plane; the target is believed to be a German Albatros B.II. In December of 1914, Garros visited the Morane-Saulnier Works, which was experimenting on the use of metal deflector wedges mounted to propellers. In March of 1915, Garros had a workable version of the deflector plates mounted to his Morane-Saulnier Type L airplane. Before being downed behind enemy lines a few weeks later on the 18th of April, he scored two more victories. Garros had another claim to fame. In 1913, he flew the first non-stop flight across the Mediterranean Sea from Fréjus in the south of France to Bizerte in Tunisia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1b.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	128382

References
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Garros_(aviator)
    http://www.greatwar.co.uk/battles/se...s-captured.htm

What an April Fool's joke THAT was on the Hun!

Garros was quite a guy. After being shot down & captured, he spent over 2 years as a POW before escaping & returning to the skies. He managed to shoot down 2 more (but only 1 was confirmed) before he was shot down & killed.

Nice one Rob. Best April Fool joke I have come across.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice one Rob. Best April Fool joke I have come across.
    Rob.
    It's funny, I'm quite familiar w/ the Garros story. It was one of the first to catch my fancy when I was reading up on WWI air combat history for material to go in the "Brief History" I compiled when I first started playing a couple years ago. But I never realized it happened on April Fools Day!

Similar Missions

1. propeller discs?
    By Captjimc7 in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 19:50
  2. missing propeller
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 13:18
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 22:43
  4. Replies: 2