Ares Games

Thread: A Great visit by Ron Crawford!

Default A Great visit by Ron Crawford!

The greatest thing about this site, among many, is the amazing and wonderful people you get to meet-sometimes in person! Thanks to Zoe I was introduced to Ron this last year and began a correspondence that developed into a delightful meeting this week in the AZ. Ron has been in the model making field for many years and has specialized in 1/200" scale unusual models. Here are a few he bestowed on me! Awesome!

The Ju52 is in metal and dates back to the '40's! The Sunderland and Mossie are resin and very well done.

Just in time for my carving session!

And the really exciting item . . . the elves have permission to try casting off the original from Ron! A new frontier?

I am a bit bedazzled as to what to do next! Thanks Zoe! Thanks Ron! Thanks all of you on this amazing site family!
    Last edited by clipper1801; 03-27-2014 at 09:13.

Seems like 2 craftsmen met each other! Looking forward to read about your endavours in casting!

Indeed Dave this place is great and you are one them who makes it like that! Proof of that is standing here in my living room!

Those are beautiful models!

Will be watching with interest as the elves dive into this newest project...

Not jealous at all.....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Always great to meet people with the same interests as you.
    I can't wait to see what comes of this.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Wow! That is really a first Dave. What I wouldn't have given to be there.
    Also the fact that one of his models is a Sunderland has more than a passing interest.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yes the Sunderland is wonderfully rendered and I will be making a few carving adjustments . . .

Ron's a great guy. Reminds me of you. I thought you two would get on well.

Elves with permission to make castings and mass-produce models in the Clipper residence - nothing about that should worry Mrs Clipper at all

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Elves with permission to make castings and mass-produce models in the Clipper residence - nothing about that should worry Mrs Clipper at all
    Good point. I'm sure the Clipper residence has plenty of space for the elves to expand into. I wonder... would the elves' time be best spent building an addition to the residence before they expand operations?

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Good point. I'm sure the Clipper residence has plenty of space for the elves to expand into. I wonder... would the elves' time be best spent building an addition to the residence before they expand operations?
    Naaaaah! The elves do the SERIOUS work. This kind of thing I'm sure they'll leave to some poor contractor!

You are one lucky devil, David. The sculpting on the planes looks top notch.

I can't wait to see the results of this encounter. It can only be a good thing.

Dave,
    If you want any suggestions or advice about casting and mold making please ask,
    I would do the Sunderland as separate main wings and horizontal stabilizers and the fuselage as another piece (with or without) tail attached.

Thanks Peter, I will be doing a bit of practice on smaller birds and then begin the multi part models. If I may ask, what do you use to sculpt with? I am planning trying a P-47 from wood and epoxy putty for the joints. For now I am experimenting with making engine nacelles in bulk. Dave

All my recent masters are done with prototyping material and CnC milled. However, I started out with wood masters made from Huon pine which is quite a soft wood and great for carving. I would strongly suggest tab whatever wood you use you should coat it with a varnish to seal the grain as when you pour the RTV rubber it WILL find a way into any and all cavities and imperfections. Careful preparation of the master will save time and produce a nice mold in the end.

Similar Missions

1. Great place to visit!
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 08:44
  2. Places to visit
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 01:50
  3. WSF Frank Linke Crawford Aviatik D.i Flik 60J.
    By Womble in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 15:47
  4. visit to BBMF. RAF coningsby
    By lord buffington in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 01:29