Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official Rumpler C Types Painting Thread

Well now it has teeth I may go looking for more balloons.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Neil,
    You asked for this, and then, make me really work for it. What Jasta and crew?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWF Rumpler CI JastaX.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	714.8 KB 
ID:	140328
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Found out it belongs to Marine Flieger Abteilung 1 or 2 (MFA 1 - MFA 2), naval pilots!

I'll go for Marine Flieger Abteilung 1, pilot/obs unknown.

Aviatic Should be: Staffel 7, KAGOHL 2 (again pilot/obs unknown)

Neil

Mike emailed pic of aviatic CI to you.

KK,

Updated the above card:

Name:	WWF Rumpler CI MFFA1.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	711.3 KB 
ID:	140463
    Marine-Feldflieger-Abteilung (MFFA) - naval field flying squadron
    Source: www.overthefront.com - Austro-Hungarian /German Abbreviations

See the Aviatik thread for your other one.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Brilliant Mike, pure brilliance.

Finally got some pilots and gunners into my planes.

Name:	RumplerCIa.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	140512

Name:	RumplerCIb.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	140513

Here's looking up the barrel of the observer/gunner.

Name:	RumplerCIc.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	140514

Name:	RumplerCIe.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	140515

Outstanding Peter!

Whilst I'm very impressed with your work Peter, I have no wish to look up the barrel of your rear gunner if you don't mind old chap!
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Super stuff, Peter! I really must bite the bullet, and try to do some pilots and gunners for my "ghost" planes.

I think its worth the effort. I have been too lax in getting my planes their pilots and gunners. I hope to stick with it and won't consider any future planes done until they are occupied... that means I better get some more pilots in the near future as there are many more planes in the works.

I'm almost tempted to remove the blob from the ARES planes and put in a Peter Pig pilot. Almost. I do paint them to try to give them a better look.

Very fast Rumpler C.I, she's been sat on the workbench since August and with the 3 day weekend and being on Taxi duty I thought I'd get some work done in between other projects.

Name:	DSC_1002[1].jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	147829

Name:	DSC_1004[1].jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	147830

Name:	DSC_1005[1].jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	147831

Nice looking bus James.
    |'m currently striving to complete a load of half finished projects.
    Did a bit of work this morning on a Pup that has been hanging around for about six months.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice looking bus James.
    |'m currently striving to complete a load of half finished projects.
    Did a bit of work this morning on a Pup that has been hanging around for about six months.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob,

My productivity came to a screeching halt though when first off I discovered I do not have any of the correct sized RAF roundels for the DH.2's and second I dropped one of the said DH.2's and shattered the right lower pylon!

Fortunately with a bit of sprew and super glue I was able to rebuild her....... just need to find the right sized roundels and repaint the damaged pylon.

Lovely plane James!
    I'm still battling through my "Fokker Frenzy!" at the moment, but have just been distracted into the Wild West - my Rumplers will have to wait a bit longer.............

One thing I forgot to mention is the Japanese "Mystery" product I used to coat the Shapeways model....... You can see on the up wing surface and the fuselage where the finish is silky smooth while the lower wing only got a slight coating, yet holds the paint perfectly without soaking it all up.

The next Shapeways will get 2 coating of this stuff..... I still need to find out the western name for it as it's brilliant for metal, porous plastics and coating your fingers in.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    One thing I forgot to mention is the Japanese "Mystery" product I used to coat the Shapeways model....... You can see on the up wing surface and the fuselage where the finish is silky smooth while the lower wing only got a slight coating, yet holds the paint perfectly without soaking it all up.

The next Shapeways will get 2 coating of this stuff..... I still need to find out the western name for it as it's brilliant for metal, porous plastics and coating your fingers in.
    Sounds just like the thing I could do with James. I have not found the floor sealant much good.
    Rob.

Yes, we are all waiting for the 'Mystery' product to solve our Shapeways woes, and coat your fingers some more!

Yes, curious to know what the product is.....great work on the yellow bird as well.

Found 3 coats of watered down PVA glue works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Found 3 coats of watered down PVA glue works a treat.
    Now that sounds like an easy solution Neil.
    Rob.

This was a hard thread to find, these planes are obviously not as sexy as Dr1's etc and it was down on page 9, as C I mine are Valom Rumpler C IV's so I hope they are OK here.

I've had these completed for a while apart from the fact I couldn't decide on the tail. In the end I went for white rather than the camouflage colours the rest of the plane is painted in so that it would stand out nicely. By that time I'd used the tail decals on two other planes and so had to go with a straight cross rather than the Maltese cross, can I get away with this or should I paint a Maltese Cross on the tail?

I wanted them to appear to be from the same unit and so I went with Decals I had, rather than the ones in the box which are from different units, the planes are Roter Hund (Red Dog) and Schwarzer Hund (Black Dog). Apparently these decals are Space Marines or some such, I didn't know that or I would have done something different..

I mixed and used the colours as Valom’s instructions but the plane cards I've seen and the Nexus planes are a much brighter green and violet/purple – any thoughts appreciated, I've also done a silk varnish, which looks nice on the table but shines a bit when photographed.

Final thank you to Flying Helmet for the suggestions on the background.

Name:	P1400388 800.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	255362

Name:	P1400390 800.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	255363

Name:	P1400392 800.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	255364

Any thoughts for improvements are more than welcome.
    Cheers

They look fine to me John. The straight crosses look good on the tail. Could be just in the change from one to the other and the ground crew are a bit late changing over. Other than that I can probably find you a few crosses if it really bothers you.

Thanks for posting.
    Rob.

Nice pair of Rumplers.

I think, it's not a problem that the colours vary a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Final thank you to Flying Helmet..
    Who is this?

The "No-Sails-Guy"?
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    This was a hard thread to find, these planes are obviously not as sexy as Dr1's etc and it was down on page 9,....
    Well you could have used the index and linked direct to it John .... Sticky thread, top of sub forum, in capitals, much easier... just saying
    There actually isn't a Rumpler C.IV thread as yet so you could have started one but I will change the title of this one to 'Rumpler C types' as a catch all. If you want to create a Rumpler C.IV thread go for it & I will re-title this back to C.I
    Last edited by flash; 09-28-2018 at 11:35.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well you could have used the index and linked direct to it John .... Sticky thread, top of sub forum, in capitals, much easier... just saying
    There actually isn't a Rumpler C.IV thread as yet so you could have started one but I will change the title of this one to 'Rumpler C types' as a catch all. If you want to create a Rumpler C.IV thread go for it & I will re-title this back to C.I
    CAPITALS you say, top of the page you say, a sticky you say, why didn't I see that then. It should be in bold, flashing, red lettering, so that those of us who are visually challenged can see it.

Thanks for letting me know Dave, it will make the job easier if and when I get the next planes finished, but as they are sexy Fokker VII's the thread will be on page 1.
    As the previous post was 2014 I don't think you have to worry about the need for a new thread on C.IV's

Sven, yep I think you might have the right chap there.

Rob I do need to get some roundels and crosses to finish off other planes, but thanks for the offer, the straight crosses on the tail niggle a bit, but I can live with it for a while, which probably means forever.

Cheers

Maybe it's just me, but I think Rumplers are sexy too.

Great job, John. Hope to see them in action some day.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I think Rumplers are sexy too.
    Huumm I'm not sure what to say to that Daryl

Mind you, I think so too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Great job, John. Hope to see them in action some day.
    Cheers Pete, I could always bring them over to Oregon There's a very nice chap who follows my blog, who's also from Oregon, you must know him, there can't be many wargamers there, we could all meet up.

Afraid I don't know any wargamers here.
    Left them all behind in BC when I moved here in 2000.

Your comment reminds me of some we used to get up in Canada.
    "Oh you must know so-and-so. He lives in Winnipeg. Perhaps you could meet up."
    Only 1400 miles (2300km) away.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Afraid I don't know any wargamers here.
    Left them all behind in BC when I moved here in 2000.

Your comment reminds me of some we used to get up in Canada.
    "Oh you must know so-and-so. He lives in Winnipeg. Perhaps you could meet up."
    Only 1400 miles (2300km) away.
    I was only joking, I know you have huge distances to cover. My nearest wargaming club is a 40 mile round trip and I think that is too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Super stuff, Peter! I really must bite the bullet, and try to do some pilots and gunners for my "ghost" planes.
    6 (that's SIX years later ) I finally put a crew in my Rumpler C.I, and took the opportunity to give it a quick paint "refit" at the same time.

Name:	Rumpler Refit (2).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	297693

Name:	Rumpler Refit (3).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	297694

Name:	Rumpler Refit (5).jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	297695

Name:	Rumpler Refit (6).jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	297696

Name:	Rumpler Refit (7).jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	297697

In addition to the crew figures:
    New ailerons, elevator demarcation, natural wooden prop, exhaust rust, exhaust smoke stain on upper wing, and clean-up of struts, wheel covers and paintwork mistakes.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nice work Tim

"He is wise who watches"

Love it! Do you have a separate hangar where you store the collection?

A very fine bird it is too Tim.
    The downside is that six years later and the war is over!

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    A very fine bird it is too Tim.
    The downside is that six years later and the war is over!

Rob.
    There certainly seems to have been a 15 month Armistice...

The Pilot and Observer certainly improve the look of the planes, everytime I put my Rumplers on the table I know I should follow your example, but if it took you 6 years I still have 4 years to go.

lol, did they refuse to get in the aircraft? court-marshall offence? nice C.I Tim

Shapeways Rumpler C.I by Reduced Aircraft Factory based on a drawing located on the Wings Palette website (wp.scn.ru) of one with the Flieger Abteilung (FA) 300 unit. The FA-300 arrived in the Middle East in April 1916 and was a major player in the Sinai and Palestine campaigns. A link to photos from 1916 by a German military photographer assigned to the FA-300 can be found on the Historical Discussions folder. Robert aka RJG173 made a card for me using the FA-300 crew who bombed the Cairo railroad in November 1916 raid in retaliation of the Entente bombing raid on their Beersheba base two days before. Robert makes great cards!

Name:	IMG_1490.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	312197

Name:	IMG_1493.JPG 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	312198

Name:	IMG_1492.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	312199

Name:	IMG_1494.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	312200

Card by Robert/RJG173:

Name:	FA300 Rumpler CI Card.png 
Size:	765.7 KB 
ID:	312201

Smooth-looking Rumpler there!

We're gonna need to change those intake filters.
    Great Rumpler, Craig
    REP

Nice looking Rumpler there Craig

A couple of Valom Rumpler C.IV that were in the same box as the Bristol F2B. Happier with the construction of these versus the F2B but, conversely I was happier with painting the F2B, but since I don't have an airbrush for the camo pattern that's to be expected. Note: the decals in this set were a lot more fragile than the ones for the F2B. The shooting star one is Luftstreitkräfte 1421/17, while the striped one is an MFFA aeroplane.

Name:	Rumpler CIV v1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	335865 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rumpler CIV v2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	335864

Magnificent paint job.
    Rep worthy.

What is MFFA?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    What is MFFA?
    Marine Feldflieger Abteilung, Robert.

"He is wise who watches"

Good-looking Rumplers, Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Official RAF BE 2a/b/c/d painting thread
    By 144sram in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-14-2024, 01:15
  2. Official Rumpler 6B Seaplane painting thread.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2021, 09:14
  3. Official RE.8 painting thread
    By steel_ratt in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-10-2015, 01:54
  4. Official D.H.5 Painting thread
    By Whiskysierra in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 11:17