Ares Games

Thread: Opinions on the new aircraft

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Default Opinions on the new aircraft

What are our opinions on the new aircraft? (Bristol Fighter, Spad DVII, Halberstadt CLII and Albatros DII)

I made a long distance drive from north-west Norfolk to Harlow in Essex today (to Marquee Models in the town centre) to pick up my order. I must say I was not disappointed with the models themselves, neither was I disappointed with most of the paint jobs. I WAS disappointed with two of the three Bristol Fighters as they differ radically from standard schemes. One Brisfit has what appears to be 'night' roundels on the top wings (no white ring) while the other is a bizarre machine with different coloured wings. Needless to say I ignored both and I bought two of the Harvey/Waight version as the fuselage 'I' marking could be interpreted as a squadron marking rather than a individual marking.

Looking at the Spad VIIs, I passed on the US version as I already have US Spad XIIIs and use them very little but I picked up two RFC Spads and the Guynemer. I was dubious about the light grey scheme on the RFC models as the only 23 Squadron Spad VII on the net is shown in khaki-brown:
    http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/257/pics/9_1.jpg
    However some Spad VIIs are also shown with a similar grey underside so it is plausible that some aeroplanes may have been all-grey until the top coats were applied.

The German aircraft are all little delights:
    The all-yellow Halberstadt CLII looked awful on the internet but is actually very passible in reality. Shall we just say that the camouflage works best over a bowl of lemons.
    I love both the lozenge Halberstadts with possibly the Schlact 23B ship '5' being the best of the whole 12-aeroplane issue. The markings are delicate and most realistic.

The Albatros DIIs are all very workmanlike and now give us a true opponent for the Lanoe Hawker Airco DH2 as Von Richthofen was flying an Albo DII when he shot down and killed Hawker.
    I am assuming the very dull crosses on the Von Richthofen machine are genuine and were researched. Can anyone confirm this?

Warspite, I did the same for the Brisfits. I already had an Guynemer from F-toys but picked up the American. Already had 4 S7s of squadron 23 so this one another add on. I really like the models and paint.

I've gone for the Harvey/Waight Brisfits (2 off) and a coupe, of Halberstadts (Niemann/Kolodzicj and the '238 model). Going for the others would have been nice but I really don't need them and I've moved through the "gotta get'em all" phase of my life to the point where I am much more targeted in my purchases. The models themselves are lovely and, in the case of the Brisfit, look much better than the official promotional photos make it look. I passed on the Spad and the Albatri - Shapeways and F Toys got there first I'm afraid and there's no reason to change. But they do look rather nice and I am sure they will sell well.

With the exception of the Brisfits, I also only bought those aircraft which I had not modeled myself in the same colour schemes and decals.
    I may pick up a couple more Spads to do repaints, but otherwise it was just the three Bristols, as I only had three of those and can now fly a pair of night fighters and three daytime ones, plus the Australian one for the Middle East, so watch out Johnny Turk.
    I was very impressed by the way that Ares has picked up the ball on this series. Overall decals are better crisper and have more detailing. The detailing on the planes themselves is also good.
    The only real disappointment for me is on the Night Fighter. They could have given it an over wing gun to obviate the flash from the front mounted gun. Also a lot of them had A guns to the rear, and an extended exhaust pipe to again remove flame from the pilots vision. Mere details, however, on what is in my opinion their best offering yet.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Received mine a few weeks ago and am very happy with them. Another dozen +2 to add to the collection.

The only real complaint I had was that the cockpit shape of SPAD looks wrong to me. It seems to be a narrow oval rather than round in shape, and those of you who drop in pilots will find it a challenge.

I have to agree with Rob that this might be the best Ares series yet

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Mere details, however, on what is in my opinion their best offering yet.
    Rob.
    Agreed. Great series.

Yes the new planes are really nice. I like the fact that Guynemers SPAD actually has decals on the wheel covers

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    I am assuming the very dull crosses on the Von Richthofen machine are genuine and were researched. Can anyone confirm this?
    I was wondering this also.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    I was wondering this also.
    Yes my lads! Quite accurate. MvR overpainted his bird in a dull reddish earth as an attempt at camo but subsequently went the other way & decided he wanted to stand out from the crowd & went with his all red Albatross etc. & the rest is History as they say.

His was not the only kite with over-painted crosses, either. I can't think of anyone in particular at the moment, but I know I've seen other early Albatros with a thin coat of paint over everything... factory paint, national insignia, etc.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yes my lads! Quite accurate. MvR overpainted his bird in a dull reddish earth as an attempt at camo but subsequently went the other way & decided he wanted to stand out from the crowd & went with his all red Albatross etc. & the rest is History as they say.
    Thank you for that. I am suitably informed now!

I like them all , don't know if I will buy any for repaints.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'll definitely be repainting Bristols. Probably SPADs, and maybe Albatri too, although the Jasta I have the best information on mainly had the early model with "ear" radiators, so I'm torn between convenience and purism on that one....

Definitely impressed overall though - I do wish they'd either do the aircrew better or not at all, and the guns on the Bristols need replacing with something that actually resembles a Lewis, but they're minor gripes. Some question marks on markings, as ever, but nothing too upsetting, and the models are pretty nice straight out of the box. Probably the best offering since Ares took the helm.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

I love the paint jobs, not that interested in the historical accuracy, just like the way they look on the table. All distinctive, all really nicely done.

I quite like this series also. Got enough of most these to forego repaints, except maybe a few more Bristols and Halberstadts to make a flight of three or so

I'm very pleased with my Harvey/Waight Brisfit. Can't wait to give her a whirl.

Thank you for all the first hand accounts, will definitely be picking up the Albs (wish the Alb DV had a nose that nice), the Halbs, some SPADS, and some of the more generic Brisfits.

Doug

Barry, you do not have to drive to Essex to buy models. They are available in Norwich. I have not got mine yet but they should be waiting for me at my local shop.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerutherfor View Post
    Thank you for all the first hand accounts, will definitely be picking up the Albs (wish the Alb DV had a nose that nice), the Halbs, some SPADS, and some of the more generic Brisfits.

Doug
    Good choice! Some of all I say!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSpy View Post
    I love the paint jobs, not that interested in the historical accuracy, just like the way they look on the table. All distinctive, all really nicely done.
    Welcome to the Drome John.
    I like the planes to be at least close to historical accuracy as they are promoted that way. Nothing wrong thou in a fantasy plane. I got a Red Baron pizza plane setting around here somewhere.

I got a Red Baron pizza plane setting around here somewhere.

... while the other is a bizarre machine with different coloured wings.
    Hi Warspite. It's historically accurate for AFC 1 Sqn. Check out A-7198 here: http://www.adf-serials.com.au/afc5.htm
    Great to see some more Aussies. Now to re-paint the other 2 in a similar scheme.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the Drome John.
    I like the planes to be at least close to historical accuracy as they are promoted that way. Nothing wrong thou in a fantasy plane. I got a Red Baron pizza plane setting around here somewhere.
    I like that they should comply with the spirit of the day, but don't actually have to have been used. Enough for me that they could have been used. And honestly, the range of colour and pattern employed staggers me. Until I started playing (back with cards) I would have guessed the planes were shades of brown and green.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Barry, you do not have to drive to Essex to buy models. They are available in Norwich. I have not got mine yet but they should be waiting for me at my local shop.
    Please let me know where…!

Although I should add that I also included a shopping trip to the North Weald open-air market, Lakeside and a few other places. Plus I hold a 10% off card at Marquee Models for being a large purchaser.
    For those not familiar with North Weald open air market, it is on the former Battle of Britain aerodrome and there are air movements on Saturdays including one or more Jet Provosts, the occasional Gnat, and one each of Spitfire, Hurricane, P-40 and P-51. There is normally someone near the flight side of the market with a radio scanner and you can ask them what's due to be flying that day.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Slexlaw View Post
    Hi Warspite. It's historically accurate for AFC 1 Sqn. Check out A-7198 here: http://www.adf-serials.com.au/afc5.htm
    Great to see some more Aussies. Now to re-paint the other 2 in a similar scheme.

Looks Middle Eastern judging by the information in the picture caption. Still a very odd colour scheme!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSpy View Post
    Great to get the opinion of a new member John. Welcome to the Drome, and don't forget to sign in on the U.K. sub forum to say hello to the rest of the pilots based here in Dear old Blighty.
    fly safe.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just got my new Halberstadt CL.II (Schlachtstaffel 23b) today. Wow, what a fantastic looking plane. Might be my favorite so far in my small (but growing!) collection. Looking forward to getting some time to play this weekend.

Looks Middle Eastern judging by the information in the picture caption. Still a very odd colour scheme!
    Yes, 67RFC/1AFC was a Palestine sqn.

I think I should have put this post better here. Anyway. here what I said about the latest series:

My order @the Aerodrome Store just arrived today! 2 Spads, 2 Alb D.II and one of each Brisfits and Halb. CL.IIs.

The model I was looking most for was Guynemer's Spad - and it really looks fab. Well proportioned and very accurate following the real thing. My 2nd Spad was the British one from 23 Squad (yes, you can't have enough British fighters ;-) ) - also very neat looking. The grey works good on it!
    The grey Spad was also the only plane with a little issue: One of the outer struts loosened, but despite my poor model-building skilly (believe me, really poor) I could fix it with a drip of glue. No biggie really.

With the Albatros D.II I went for the - so I assume - pretty typical Boelke/Richthofen-combination. Boelke's plane in its standard camouflage is very neat but the real looker is Richthofen's machine with its "crudely" overpainted crosses. They got the effect pretty spot on. You could think its a mishap in printing the decals if you didn't knew better. Much better than on his green/red Dr.1.
    The blue on their undersides though is a bit much. Looks too saturated for me. I would prefer a tone like on Bäumer's D.Va rather. Seems more realistic to me.
    Oh, and I was worrying a bit that they again mess up the space between top wing and fuselage like on the D.III. I'm glad this didn't happen. It looks just about right to me.

From the Bristols I picked the Harvey/Waight-variant. Simply because it looks like the most "standard" British machine. Great looking plane - shape and overall feel ist very Brisfit!

From the Halberstadt CL.IIs I picked the yellow/red striped "Martha & Else" variant. Just because - because! It looks really fun and - like the other planes of the series - very authentic. If you ignore the rear gun. But I think they never got that one right on the German planes: The mount was always WAY too big. *shrugs*

All in all I am very pleased with this series. Dealing with the Aedrodrome Store was also very smooth. I can definitely recommend both planes and store!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Gives us someone to fly against the Turk!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    The crew named their plane "Magpie"!(that's true by the way.)

Love this series of aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo8-1 View Post
    Love this series of aircraft.
    Agreed. I was able to fly a CL.II (with a Roland base!) in a game this past weekend, and I ran a game in which Peter/Teaticket flew a Brisfit. Nasty aircraft, even when flying alone... my observer was giving an SE5a pilot fits. I'm eager to get two or more of either on the table together.

Similar Missions

1. Incorporating the new fast aircraft with the older aircraft
    By P-51D in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-25-2015, 08:48
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 14:26
  3. World War 1 Aircraft - Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2 Model B
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 02:52
  4. Replies: 9