Ares Games

Thread: Vallejo Colour Matches For WGF Series 7?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Default Vallejo Colour Matches For WGF Series 7?

Probably a long shot, but I figure there's no harm in asking.... Something tells me I'll be spending an hour or two mixing paint and swearing a lot at some point in the next few days, so I might as well check in case anybody else has already done so.... Does anyone have colour matches for the news Series 7 models, especially the Harvey / Waight Bristol, and Guynemer and Soubiran SPADs?

Cheers, Dom.

I think we need to make a Vallejo chart.

That is a very good idea John.
    I'm sure i saw one somewhere with a chart showing all the brands of paint compared, but can't find it now.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Found it!
    But I'm not sure if it helps with this problem or not.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ht=paint+chart

Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Ooh, that does look worth a bookmark for general painting use. But no, doesn't help here unfortunately - looking for extremely close to perfect matches, which you'll only get by trying them "in the flesh" as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    I think we need to make a Vallejo chart.
    Looks like someone just volunteered for the job of digging up what info we already have here on the site What do you say John, you up to it?

Google pointed me to this model paint comparison website: http://www.paint4models.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Looks like someone just volunteered for the job of digging up what info we already have here on the site What do you say John, you up to it?
    I'm good at collecting information. I'm not good at picking correct colors. Zoe and others has already provided me with some info. Will need input of others that are good with colors. I will go through the model section and collect information provided there. It will be WW1 and Vallejo only. I also realize certain colors can be a range of paints due to different circumstances.

Will start tomorrow.

So much for "NAVY" never again volunteer yourself.

John I expect to see you and the wife in May at the show on Saturday. Your game had me buy a few more Carponi bombers. And in the Army Ilearned not to volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    John I expect to see you and the wife in May at the show on Saturday. Your game had me buy a few more Carponi bombers. And in the Army Ilearned not to volunteer.
    Bob, what show is it?

Sorry Dom, I haven't got any yet. Seeing that you have them in stock, that'll change soon.

The only ones I know are:

Kirschstein Dr.I - Vallejo Russian Green (96) is a great match.
    Scaroni Hanriot HD.1 - Vallejo Light Yellow.*

It'd be good to know more.

Ian

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Cheers Ian - must admit doing some Hanriots has crossed my mind, so that might come in handy, ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    .... Does anyone have colour matches for the news Series 7 models, (...) Guynemer (...) SPADs?

Cheers, Dom.
    Hi Dom,

don't know if this is still helpful but came across this thread only today.

I am in the act of converting some Guynemer Spad VIIs into Italian ones and I found that Humbrol 24 Trainer Yellow DOES match Ares' Guynemer Spad VII color.

Vallejo Table of Conversion says Humbrol 24 Trainer Yellow matches Vallejo 953 Flat Yellow.

Cheers,

Mau

Dom, I've found that Revell 42 "Yellowish Olive" (a good match for Humbrols oop 108 WW1 green) looks good - you'd have to try it against the model but it might do the job for you.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Will take a look at those, thanks chaps.

Dom.

Someone needs to capture all this paint matching data in an Excel file and start a new thread with it attached. I could make it a Sticky in the Hobby forum and the file originator could update it as new info/mins came out.

I think people may have overlooked that the "Vieux Charles" needs to be painted over as well. I found Vallejo Game Color Bone White (72.034) to be a decent enough match. According to their charts, it corresponds to Vallejo Model Color Buff (70.976... Did they really have to make "buff" a 976 number?), but the chits actually look pretty far off, so use with caution.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPADmatch.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	147470
    As you can see by the picture, I don't have a close match for the yellow, so a confirmation of a good Valljo color would be great, especially if it was something with a Game Color match, as that's the only line I have convenient access to..

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Someone needs to capture all this paint matching data in an Excel file and start a new thread with it attached. I could make it a Sticky in the Hobby forum and the file originator could update it as new info/mins came out.
    I was actually thinking along similar lines the last couple of days. But considering there's about 112 official aircraft, and all of about 3 documented color matches, I think a spreadsheet is putting the cart before the horse. It's somewhat telling that the Soubiran SPAD has yet to ellicit a color recommendation in nearly 6 months.

That being said, if info did start rolling in I could make an effort to catalog it.

I will also throw out that if anyone has a match for any of the lozenge colors for the Jacobs Albatros D.Va I'd be particularly interested...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, definitely putting the cart before the horse. Any match needs to be actually tested on a model ("the chart says it matches this" will usually put you in the right ballpark, but *not* get you an actual exact match) which means the vast majority are actually likely to require mixes, and be an *immense* amount of work. The issue's not collating the information, but getting it in the first place....

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    I think people may have overlooked that the "Vieux Charles" needs to be painted over as well. I found Vallejo Game Color Bone White (72.034) to be a decent enough match. According to their charts, it corresponds to Vallejo Model Color Buff (70.976... Did they really have to make "buff" a 976 number?), but the chits actually look pretty far off, so use with caution.

Name:	SPADmatch.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	147470
    As you can see by the picture, I don't have a close match for the yellow, so a confirmation of a good Valljo color would be great, especially if it was something with a Game Color match, as that's the only line I have convenient access to..
    Hi Todd,

as for the Guynemer yellow I did use Humbrol 24 Trainer Yellow and it really does match the original paint.
    I did not used any Vallejo color, all I can say is that Vallejo chart reports Humbrol 24 = Vallejo 953.

I just remove the "Vieux Charles" thing gently rubbing a toothpick with a drop of acetone until cleared.

Mau

P.S. Another tip. Removing the original Guynemer decals from the metal fuselage is very easy with a cotton earpick and acetone. The decal is removed and the original color remain intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mau Fox View Post
    P.S. Another tip. Removing the original Guynemer decals from the metal fuselage is very easy with a cotton earpick and acetone. The decal is removed and the original color remain intact.
    That is a great tip! I wonder how many other planes you can safely use that technique on; Barker's Camel would be a good one if it works. I also notice you don't say it works on the wings; is the plastic too delicate, or is it a full wing decal or something?

if anyone has a match for any of the lozenge colors for the Jacobs Albatros D.Va I'd be particularly interested...
    I gave this a try last night with the colors I had on hand...

Name:	JacobsMatch.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	147639
    The first three colors I think came out pretty close...
    Yellow: Model Color - Light Yellow - 70.949
    Grey: Game Color - Cold Grey - 72.050 (translates to Model Color - Basalt Grey - 70.869)
    Red: Game Color - Terracotta - 72.065 (no listed Model Color translation)
    Pink: Polly Scale - German Mauve
    Purple: Undifferentiated mix; Model Color - Azure - 70.902 / Game Color - Hexed Lichen - 72.015 (translates to Model Color - Blue Violet - 70.811)

I also notice you don't say it works on the wings; is the plastic too delicate, or is it a full wing decal or something?
    Hi Todd!
    I should have mentioned it!
    The cotton earpick and acetone does work on wings too. You only have to rub faster.
    I put the earpick into acetone then wet the decal, after very few seconds I start to rub gently and fast. You will notice the decal melting and it is "washed" away. For "safety purposes" I have another earpick with water on it I use to wash the wings surface a couple of time during the proces and after it.

It is not a full wing decal, there are the "2" numbers and the roundels.
    Cleaning the roundels could be a little tricky due to the white of the roundels that could stain the wing but if you rub with acetone and water everything will be fine.

Then it is when Humbrol 24 come in handy.

I attach some pics, you will notice the clean fuselage and the little loss of color on the upper and lower wings but as I said, I field tested Humbrol 24 and it works great.

Name:	20140915_215548.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	147670

Name:	20140915_215909.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	147671

Name:	20140915_215531.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	147672

I don't have a pic of the repainted upper wings as I have a dozen of Spads to clear before retouching the wings but I will post it asap.

Hope this helps.

Mau

Some very good tips here Maurizio.
    thanks for posting them.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. WGF Paint matches for series 1 re-release
    By Womble in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 05:15
  2. Vallejo paints cross reference?
    By smitty_au in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 04:59
  3. Help needed: Bishop green with Vallejo?
    By Niclas in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 02:58
  4. Series 4 Colour schemes
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 07:29
  5. Vallejo gaming colours
    By check6 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 10:04