Ares Games

Thread: Game Turn Sequence Reference Card (WWI)

Beaunanza

Default Game Turn Sequence Reference Card (WWI)

Hello all,
    This will be my first post in this forum. I haven't been playing the WOG WWI game for very long. My buddy John got me into the game and has been uploading all the nerdy reference cards I've been creating for the game. I figured it was about time to join and save John the trouble of being the middleman.
    So, for my first post I've attached a Game Turn Sequence Reference Card (6" x 9"). With so many rules we're pulling from for our games, the order of things gets a little confusing, especially since we haven't been playing very long. This card includes the rules and optional rules we use in our games, so not every aspect of the rules is going to be reflected in it. You may see stuff on the card referring to optional rules you may not use. No problem, just ignore that particular color group when you play. I should point out that the AA Guns are not fired/reloaded/etc. every time they're indicated on the card. Those are meant to help you know when those actions occur within the AA Gun Sequence. Ex. If you're at the firing step of the AA gun, the card shows where that action would happen during the phase you're on....if that makes any sense.
    I'm not calling this card done just yet because I had one concern. In terms of Removing a Fire Counter, I wasn't 100% sure if that fell before or after the AA Gun: Fire and/or the Reveal for Tailing 1. All three of those actions (according to the rules) occur "before revealing the first maneuver". There is nothing I could find that specified the order of those, aside from the Tailing Reveal comes after the AA Gun fire. Maybe it doesn't matter about the Fire Counter. Thoughts? I also welcome corrections if I've got the order of anything else wrong. Thanks!

-Beau
    Attached Images  

Beau,

Thanks to you and John for these amazing reference cards. As a new player they are invaluable!

Outstanding products, thank you.

Thanks, Beau... these are a fantastic reference, and most helpful. Also, welcome to the Aerodrome! Very active and helpful lot here, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Beau,

Welcome to the Wings of Glory Aerodrome.

I may have been the first to give you reputation points for the beautiful Game Turn Sequence Reference Card, but I am sure that many others will follow.

For those who do not know, Beau is the author of the five reference cards which recently appeared in our files.
    The above card is number six.

Ken

Awesome game aid - many thanks!

Well done mate the cards are very helpful even to some who has being playing the game for a while

Thumbs up

G'day Beau & welcome to the Forum on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    Great to see you have joined us as I have already downloaded you previous cards & think they are really great.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Beau, and thank you for all the helpful reference cards.

I can't wait for this sixth card to be added!

Let's please get it uploaded as soon as possible Beau!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by richarddaystrom View Post
    Beau,

Thanks to you and John for these amazing reference cards. As a new player they are invaluable!

Outstanding products, thank you.
    Totally agree. Great game aids.

Welcome to the Drome!

Very nice job Beau. You may want to incorporate moving a bomber crew between firing posts - Before firing on the dotted line, and after firing any following phase to one of the gun posts.

Thanks for this as well as for your previous contributions!

Beaunanza

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Very nice job Beau. You may want to incorporate moving a bomber crew between firing posts - Before firing on the dotted line, and after firing any following phase to one of the gun posts.
    I haven't actually read the rules for bombers as the no one in the group I play with owns any. But I'm sure I'll get around to a bomber reference card, and putting the bomber rules into some of these cards one of these days. For now, you could always write that info in, or modify the current card in Photoshop. And thanks to everyone for the feedback! No one mentioned the Fire Counter question I addressed in my original post to this thread. Any thoughts about whether the fire counter should be removed before or after AA gun fire or Revealing for Tailing 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunanza View Post
    I haven't actually read the rules for bombers as the no one in the group I play with owns any. But I'm sure I'll get around to a bomber reference card, and putting the bomber rules into some of these cards one of these days. For now, you could always write that info in, or modify the current card in Photoshop. And thanks to everyone for the feedback! No one mentioned the Fire Counter question I addressed in my original post to this thread. Any thoughts about whether the fire counter should be removed before or after AA gun fire or Revealing for Tailing 1?
    However, I will be bringing a Gotha to Ashland on April 6th, so you will see a bomber soon.

incorrect answer, deleted

Welcome to the Drome Beau, and for bringing us these wonderful cards.

Beaunanza

Cool. I guess I've got until April 6th then.

Beau - I'm actually not that experienced in the game rules but in my opinion the only reason resolving the fire counter first may matter is if the plane was destroyed by the fire damage, it could theoretically affect tailing if more than one plane could have been tailed. I somehow doubt that would come into play too often. Nonetheless, I would suggest the reveal fire marker should maybe go first? Either way, I don't think it matters that much. And thanks for the hard work on these!

Joe

Just when I think every aspect of the rules have been covered by a reference card Beau seems to dream up another one.

I can't wait for this card to be created as a PDF and uploaded!
    Last edited by richarddaystrom; 03-21-2014 at 23:14.

Nicely done Beau. And welcome from England.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome to the 'drome Beau. I think you have put the fire token removal, AA firing, tailing into a logical order, for me anyway. I get what you have done with the AA, maybe using coloured text to show which firing, explosion, reload relate to eachother on the chart might help clarify the process? I know this is a work in progress but don't forget to add the AA Adjust/delay (before tailing) & to remove the gun jam tokens in the standard rules !
    Last edited by flash; 03-23-2014 at 04:20.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Beaunanza

I like the idea of color coding the AA Gun steps, however, the entire AA gun process takes place over a minimum of 5 phases. I can't find a good way to adequately represent those steps that way on this particular layout of one turn. See my dilemma? I may have to create a separate timeline for AA Guns, and I will add the optional adjust/delay rules to that. Let me see what I can come up with.

Beaunanza

I decided to rework the whole thing and eliminate the AA gun stuff. I may make a separate card for those but I felt the sequence was getting too cluttered to adequately illustrate where the different AA Gun actions occur. Besides, I really wanted the timeline to be horizontal and still fit inside 9 inches (and still be readable). I'll upload this to the Game Aides section ASAP.
    Name:  Gameplay Sequence REV3.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  85.3 KB
    Attached Images

The first one was great but I must admit this one is even better.
    Superb work again mate!

Great work Beau.
    The chart looks very user friendly.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Has anyone thought about making one of these for WGS? I just gave the rules my first read through, and wow.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

I definitely will be printing out one of each of these when I get home from work, thanks.

Nice! Should it include removal of jam tokens? (Since it covers removal of most other tokens.)

another buckeye flyboy! welcome to the aerodrome beau!!!!! excellent work on the play aids!!!!! dont you just love how open ended the game mechanics are to allow such added complexity if desired.

hey admins is there a medal for making such a contribution to the site even BEFORE youre a member?

Welcome to one of the friendliest places on the internet Beau and thanks for your work on the reference cards. Job well done and well deserving of rep. points.

Similar Missions

1. Quick Reference Card for Anti-Aircraft Guns
    By von Fustercluck in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 20:58
  2. WGF Quick Reference Card, revised
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-17-2014, 13:04
  3. Two-Seater Quick Reference Card, revised
    Replies: 8