Ares Games

Thread: Morane-Saulnier Type I

Default Morane-Saulnier Type I

The RFC wanted to further the development of the Type N by equipping it with a powerful 110hp Le Rhone engine. The dimensions were very similiar to the Type N although the wingspan and elevators were slightly larger. The armament was a synchronized 0.303 Vickers machine gun. Morane-Saulnier Type I prototype was completed in March 1916.

The French were in the vested in producing the Nieuport 11 so showed no real interest. But did make 4 Type Is (MS733, MS744, MS735, and MS746) that were delivered to the 60th Squadron. The British pilots found the aircraft to be fast but very demanding to fly the aircraft were taken to England for training purposes in Oct 1916.

At least 20 Type I fighters were ordered, but not all delivered, by the Imperial Russian Air Service and more were produced in Russia.

Max speed: 164 kmh Some sources say 176 kmh
    climb to 1,000 m: 2 min 50 sec
    climb to 2,000 m: 6 min 45 sec
    climb to 3,000 m: 12 min 40 sec
    ceiling 4,700

Since the Type N and Type I so closely resembled each other there is no need to have another aircraft.
    Would the speed increase would warrant the J deck?

The speeds you've quoted fall within the 161-180kph 'average' bracket of the J deck in the 'Tools for Working Out Stats' the committee produced John so it fits the bill. It looks as though it was 20kph faster (give or take) than the standard N. Would be a nice option to play on the table.

I would say the J deck would fit the bill; it has the same maneuver set as the T deck, which doesn't show any right bias other rotary planes have, so the I deck is probably not right.
    I would be a bit conservative and go with a climb of 3 and ceiling of 11. Keep the same 10 hits as the N, and of course, B guns.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The speeds you've quoted fall within the 161-180kph 'average' bracket of the J deck in the 'Tools for Working Out Stats' the committee produced John so it fits the bill. It looks as though it was 20kph faster (give or take) than the standard N. Would be a nice option to play on the table.
    I agree, I also think it would be a nice option on the table. I've been planning on playing some Russian aircraft soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I would say the J deck would fit the bill; it has the same maneuver set as the T deck, which doesn't show any right bias other rotary planes have, so the I deck is probably not right.
    I would be a bit conservative and go with a climb of 3 and ceiling of 11. Keep the same 10 hits as the N, and of course, B guns.
    Karl
    Thanks for your reply.

This is very cool... Hadn't heard of the Type I. I like that it's represented by stuff I've already got sitting in my hangar!

I agree with Chris. gives the Morane a new lease of life.
    Time to see how the upgrade fares against the Eindekkers.
    thanks for the info John.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks like C flight 60 sqn started re-equipping with the Type 1 29th July 16 just before they were withdrawn from the frontline to St Andre-au Bois for training; back to action on the 23rd so seeing them up against Halbs & Albs is a distinct possibility too Rob !

Looks like C flight 60 sqn started re-equipping with the Type 1 29th July 16 just before they were withdrawn from the frontline to St Andre-au Bois for training; back to action on the 23rd so seeing them up against Halbs & Albs is a distinct possibility too Rob !
    Well I guess you win some and lose some!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Excellent news. Looks like I've got to scuffle about for a few RFC roundels... I've got a couple Ns tabbed for delivery to English units early in '16.

Would the M-S I be without the spinner, since they were taking them off the Ns to improve engine cooling?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Possibly, but not always if so - the only I depicted in the 60 squadron Osprey (A199) is shown with spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Possibly, but not always if so - the only I depicted in the 60 squadron Osprey (A199) is shown with spinner.
    That certainly makes the conversion easier...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep - no need to go fishing around for a spinner-free prop - just decide if you want to replace the gun with something slightly thicker for the Vickers, or whether, screw it, it looks fine anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    I agree, I also think it would be a nice option on the table. I've been planning on playing some Russian aircraft soon.
    *Nods* I have some paper Russians I'd like to do up very soon (including that wonderful one in Zoe's 1st pic w/ the skull & crossbones tail). I'd like to do some in British markings as well.

Similar Missions

1. WSF Morane Saulnier N
    By lucky in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 04:01
  2. Morane-Saulnier A1
    By petitbilbo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 16:12