Ares Games

Thread: Speed change after Dive

Default Speed change after Dive

We use blank speed tokens for cards that change speed automatically - like Climb, Dive and Turn (and the maneuver after the Turn, because both consecutive maneuvers have the third maneuver keeping the speed of the Turn).

Lets say i play Dive that changes speed to fast, mark it with the blank token, and my next maneuver is slow straight marked by a slow speed token.

Is this legal? Slow right after fast?
    Last edited by Honza; 03-19-2014 at 09:40.

I guess i got it. The acceleration system hinders you from changing the speed twice: fast - slow - fast etc. I am sorry for writing faster than thinking.

No need to apolgize, I think you have just explained to me how the system works..I have the old rules and that has never made any sence to me the way it is written there.

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    We use blank speed tokens for cards that change speed automatically - like Climb, Dive and Turn (and the maneuver after the Turn, because both consecutive maneuvers have the third maneuver keeping the speed of the Turn).

Lets say i play Dive that changes speed to fast, mark it with the blank token, and my next maneuver is slow straight marked by a slow speed token.

Is this legal? Slow right after fast?
    That's possible if your original speed was fast:

Example: Your last executed maneuver was a fast speed marker straigth - then the next planed maneuver can be a blank speed marker dive and the second planed maneuver can be a slow speed marker straight.

If your last executed maneuver was a slow speed marker straight - the planing above isn't possible, because you're not able to place the slow speed marker on the second planed maneuver.

Planing with acceleration is sometimes tricky.

You have to care for the placed speed markers very well, especially if you use blank speed markers.

Imagine a plane is at high speed.

Your next planed maneuver is a climb with a blank speed marker and the second maneuver is a straight with a slow speed marker on it, because you want your plane to fly slow.

But this is wrong planed, because where to get the slow speed marker from, when you speed decreases automatically with the climb maneuver?

The right planing has to be: A climb with a blank speed marker and the second maneuver is a straight with a blank speed marker on it, too.

Personally I like the acceleration system, because you always have the look on your speed with the marker on you console.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Is there an idiots guide to speed and speed markers, I still can't follow this and from what I'm reading I'm doing it all wrong anyway.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Fairly short one: Use a blank speed token on cards that automatically change speed, i.e. Dive, Climb, 180 Turn and also on the card right after the 180 Turn as both Immelman and Split-S follow with a maneuver that keeps the speed of the 180 Turn, so a blank token is there for reason.
    If you do so, you will always have speed tokens to your disposal. I am talking about acceleration rules indeed.

If you get my reminder sheet from BGG, everything is there.

Cheers Jan I will.

Neil

Fairly short one: Use a blank speed token on cards that automatically change speed, i.e. Dive, Climb, 180 Turn and also on the card right after the 180 Turn as both Immelman and Split-S follow with a maneuver that keeps the speed of the 180 Turn, so a blank token is there for reason.
    If you do so, you will always have speed tokens to your disposal. I am talking about acceleration rules indeed.

See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Cheers Jan I will.

Neil
    Brilliant summary, Jan. Thanks.

I will be joining Neil in picking this up.

Very concise thanks Jan.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That looks great, Jan! Thanks for the work!

Spot on there old boy .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thanks Jan. I am just starting WGS and was curious how the speed changed were worked out. Very helpful.

Similar Missions

1. Steep-Dive House Rule (different to Over-Dive)
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 13:04
  2. Dive speed bonus?
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-18-2013, 04:39
  3. Name Change!
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 16:29
  4. Looks like I might have to change sides