Ares Games

Thread: An Interview with James Leybourne (Lee) Smith, D.F.C

Default An Interview with James Leybourne (Lee) Smith, D.F.C

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/jls.htm

I was posted to 3 Squadron AFC, which was then at Bailleul in France. I arrived there about 27th February 1918, with about 100 hours flying time to my credit. We flew RE8s, which were not considered difficult to fly once they had been correctly rigged and balanced. The inherent stability of this type of aircraft is demonstrated by the well-known incident in which 3 Squadron's Lieutenant Sandy and his observer, Sergeant Hughes, after being killed by a single enemy bullet while flying operationally in their RE8, remained airborne until their aircraft eventually ran out of juice and made a reasonably gentle crash-landing.

The RE8 was reasonably manoeuvrable, but very difficult to loop, as were most 2-seaters. I remember Lieutenant McKenna performing this feat on one occasion despite standing orders to the contrary. He was an excellent pilot and a very easy-going fellow, and would not have been much upset by the official reprimand.

We usually flew the same aircraft all the time unless of course it was in the workshop for maintenance or repair. Then we'd use whichever machine was available. They were just like motor cars - we could feel the difference in the handling characteristics between these and our regular mounts, the peculiarities of which we had become accustomed to.

My regular RE8 (No.C.2275 - Squadron Code Letter: "R") was the standard olive green colour, and on the fuselage I painted the head of a fictitious pre-historic monster which I had christened 'Pyancus' - a name by which my fellow pilots now came to know me. I even carved and used a walking stick from the remains of a busted propeller, with a 'Pyancus' head as the grip-handle to add to the illusion.....

As we were engaged mostly in low flying, we did not meet up with enemy aircraft regularly. I had the occasional scraps and the summary in my Log Book credits me with a Hun machine, but I cannot recall details of the incident. Types usually seen in our sector were Albatros, Fokker biplanes and Fokker triplanes. In spite of their reputation, we were not unduly scared of them as the old RE8 could put up a jolly good fight with its front synchronised gun and the observer's Lewis gun to defend the tail.

Most of the enemy machines I saw were pretty drab in colour and markings. I do not recall having seen any with the 'Lozenge' type of camouflage at close range but we occasionally did see some with bright wavy or straight lines on them.
    And much more.

And some articles about the RE8 in service with 3 Sqdrn AFC:

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/RE8.htm

Two No. 3 Squadron aircraft were instrumental in triggering-off the famous aerial combat of 21 April 1918 that resulted in the death of Germany's leading air ace, Baron Manfred von Richthofen. On that fateful Sunday morning, Lieutenants S. G. Garrett and A. V. Barrow (in A.3661) and Lieutenants T. L. Simpson and F. C. Banks (in B.6576) were on a reconnaissance of the German lines near Hamel at 7000 feet when they were attacked by an element of four Fokker DrI triplanes from a large 'Richthofen's Circus' formation, led by the Baron himself. Simpson and Banks fought their way to the safety of nearby cloud cover, and the enemy triplanes concentrated on the second R.E.8. Through a combination of Garrett's skilful flying and Barrow's accurate shooting, one triplane, believed to be a Jasta 5 machine, was shot down. The other three triplanes then withdrew to the main Circus formation to regroup for an approaching attack by several Sopwith Camels from No. 209 Squadron, Royal Air Force. It was during the subsequent fight that the 'Red Baron' was shot down fatally. [His body was subsequently buried with full military honours by 3 Squadron.]

Meanwhile, Simpson and Garrett had completed their photographic commitment and were on their way home at 8000 feet. But R.E.8 B.6576 had a further clash with a large formation of Albatros scouts, out to avenge the death of their leader, von Richthofen. Simpson took the only way out. He dove the R.E.8 towards the ground while Banks kept up a steady stream of machine-gun fire to ward off the attackers. Eventually they eluded their pursuers and flew home at 2000 feet.

A very interesting article as usual from you Zoe.
    I was particularly entranced by the letter from his Observer when he was wounded in the ankle at the end of his war.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very interesting post. I recommend the link, there is a story well told, with a few pictures to go with it, easy reading and informative.
    Here is the link Zoe posted above: http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/RE8.htm

I love flying my RE8 models, because they look so "flowing" due to the staggard wings..almost graceful. The interview in the link gives some good flavour for particular missions or battle scenarios I think.
    Last edited by Blauer Baron; 03-18-2014 at 03:45.

Exclamation

Yes an excellent link from Zoe.
    There are some good stories in the 3 Sqd website & I must also recommend "Fire in the Sky" by Michael Moltenkin if you wish to read all about the 4 AFC Sqds in WW1. Its a wonderful book!
    There is a review in the Book Review section.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire in the Sky book.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	126540
    Last edited by gully_raker; 03-18-2014 at 15:53.

Similar Missions

1. Early Photo of James McCudden.
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 14:31
  2. New James Deitz WW1 Aero Art book announced.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 01:27
  3. More Russell Smith Art PLUS!
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 02:02
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 00:56