Ares Games

Thread: Archie So Thick You Could Have Walked Home

Default Archie So Thick You Could Have Walked Home

I was reading Billy Bishop's autobiography, and he more than once commented how at times on AA fire was so very heavy. Then, a couple of days before PRS, Flammenkopf and Capt. Willard came over to my house, I was reading a report about the German attempt to push through the BEF in May 1915. The Germans used chlorine gas, and even though the British had photo reconnaissance showing evidence of the stockpiles, neither the British nor the French correctly interpreted it and thus did not bomb the area (apparently the Germans had piled the chlorine gas shells in piles, 40 meters apart). The German's use of gas achieved complete surprise, and the Germans almost broke through the British lines, making it all the way to the artillery lines (and being driven back by direct fire). When a German captured officer later asked what lay beyond the guns that his unit had almost reached, the answer was "Headquarters."

So putting these two (lots of AA and aerial observation of the impending attack) I came up with the following two scenarios, which take place simultaneously. (Note: I know that the planes in the scenario where not available in May 1915, but not a lot of planes were. I used planes that come online in 1916, which I thought would make the game more fun to play than a bunch of MS Type Ns and Eindeckers.)

As I mentioned, the British had the photo reconn intelligence but did not manage to put two and two together. After this mistake, each squadron had its own intelligence officer to help interpret photo recon. But the real reason the photo recon was not used is disclosed in the following two (fictitious) scenarios.

Scenario I: The Royal Observation Corps HQ

British HQ suspected something was going on. Balloon observations and scattered reports from local spies made it clear something big was going on, but what? Scout planes have been sent out in ones and twos but none has returned, so clearly the Germans were doing their best to protect something. The decision was made to send out all squadrons simultaneously; someone would have to get through. While that may leave the Royal Observation Corps HQ without air cover, it is far behind the lines and well protected by AA.

Everything goes as planned, except Major Collins, in charge of the RFC squadron protecting HQ, has a wheel come off the landing gear while taxiing. Mechanics rush to fix the problem. Ensigns Wet and Dry stay behind to wait for him.

As they finally take to the air and pass HQ, they see some planes coming in towards them. Surely it is too early for the rest of the squadron to return?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	126496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	126497

It is. It is the German's attempt to completely blind the British. A strike force of five Roland C.IIs (three with two guns, two with rear gunner only) have snuck through the lines, carrying a heavy bomb load (three bombs each; until they drop one bomb load, each Roland must play one stall each turn). Their orders: destroy ROCHQ, which consists of three buildings (partial victory). If at least one Roland can return to base to report how thin the BEF's lines are and all HQ buildings destroyed would be a a decisive victory. Standing between them: three DH2s and NINE AA guns (I was thinking about having the AA guns protected by trenches, but we only had four players total so the logistics were difficult enough already. For that reason, we also played without altitude). We also decided to ignore the water on the map (hence the AA guns in the water).
    Last edited by tusekine; 03-17-2014 at 13:50.

Scenario I: The Germans Split Into Two Forces

The Germans have divided themselves into two forces: the three double-firing Rolands on one side and the two rear-firing only ones on the other. The British plane are in a V-formation, with Maj. Collins (in the plane with the C on the top wing) in the lead. In retrospect, it would have been best to have at least one head-on pass against the two rear-firing only Germans, but the Germans wisely set themselves up to avoid that. First blood goes to the British, though; one of the Rolands gets hit by AA fire.

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	126499

That was about the highlight for the British AA guns. The Germans begin to systematically mop up AA guns as they fly by. You can see that the one in the left position in the first row is already gone, and the middle one has taken heavy damage.

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	126498

Scenario I: Live and Let Die

The AA gunners have witnessed the destruction of the other gun, and things have gotten personal. It is now a race of who gets whom first. The AA fire intensives, and another hit rocks a German plane, which begins to smoke.

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	126500

The DH2s are also in striking distance and a furball is about to ensue. But fate favors the Germans--a lucky shot, and Ensign Dry's plane disintegrates after the first salvo.

Name:	IMG_1414.jpg 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	126501

Default Scenario I: Betrayed!

At the appearance of the British planes, the AA crews cheered. But after the first plane explodes, the British planes continue on past the Germans. The AA crews howl in frustration. Betrayed by their own! Now nothing stands between them and death from above, except their own guns. The gunners redouble their efforts but continue to overshoot.

Name:	IMG_1415.jpg 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	126502

Meanwhile, the Germans cooly line up for their bomb runs.

Name:	IMG_1416.jpg 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	126503

And drop their bombs. A direct hit! Scratch one building.

Name:	IMG_1417.jpg 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	126505

Scenario I: Things get hectic

After the destruction of the first building, things get hectic. First, Archie scores another hit.

Name:	IMG_1418.jpg 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	126506

Then, a German collision

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	126507

Complete destruction of the second building

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	126508

The RFC returns! Archie scores another hit! (Could this turn the tide?)

Name:	IMG_1423.jpg 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	126509
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1425.jpg  

Default Scenario I: Not Every Fritz Will Kiss His Liesl Tonight

Archie claims its first victim. The first German explodes just as the RFC is back in range.

Name:	IMG_1424.jpg 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	126511

Fire from the RFC and an on-board fire caused by AA claims the second German victim.

Name:	IMG_1426.jpg 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	126512

Meanwhile, the remaining Rolands have destroyed the last building, and are heading for home, pursued by the RFC and pounded by Archie.

Name:	IMG_1428.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	126513

Default Scenario I: The Bitter End

Another hit by Archie! The German's engine sputters for a bit but he keeps flying, and his engine returns to normal.

Name:	IMG_1429.jpg 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	126514

But Ensign Wet buys the farm as well.

Name:	IMG_1430.jpg 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	126515

Major Collins returns to what is left of base, the sole survivor. The Germans claim a decisive victory in Scenario I.

Scenario II: to come....

A very ingenious game plot Anthony. The German pilots did exceedingly well considering the amount of AA damage.
    I look forward to reading part two.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

What a great AAR Anthony and I think your gaming matt looks amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    ...I think your gaming matt looks amazing...
    +1! Seem to remember something about it being hand-painted (at least some of it) by a friend... I needs me more friends like that!

Similar Missions

1. My Dad and My Home Campaign
    By Aero825 in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 14:42
  2. Someone close to home
    By Griffonstone in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 00:51
  3. Archie
    By Stormkahn in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 9