Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big dogfight in Ashland!

Default Big WGF Dogfight in Ashland, Ohio!

Attention all northern Ohio folks:

The members of Canvas Falcons (Wings of Glory Players in North Central Ohio) will be hosting an open dogfight in Ashland, Ohio at 2:00 pm on Sunday, April 6. Bring your own aircraft, snacks, and beer (or other beverages). Let's see how big we can make this thing!

Message me for details on location.

Hope to see you there!

John

Pencil me in; I'll bring lots of planes!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I read that header as "Big WTF Dogfight".

Time to call the optometrist.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I read that header as "Big WTF Dogfight".

Time to call the optometrist.
    Lets hope it turns out better than that
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I am in! Thanks!

Karl. I appreciate the offer. I will PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    I am in! Thanks!

Karl. I appreciate the offer. I will PM you.

Karl

Hello Hello, CappyTom calling...Planning on coming 6th April and bringing some WWII stuff. Maybe we can get some Pacific fights going...Over.

Thomas

Jager & CappyTom in the same furball.

It is beginning to look like this dogfight is going to be too big to miss.

Put me down for April 6th.

I do not have my kids that weekend. I may try to make a drive & attend.

Did I see WW2??? Count me in!!!

So John, how many tables did you say there were?
    Karl

Just one big one, unfortunately. We should have time for multiple games, though.

If its got wings and a propeller, I'll be there!

I am in if I can get a ride...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Trying to make it. Will let you know.

The location is 926 Katherine Avenue, which is very close to Ashland High School. It's called the Dental Arts Building, shared by an orthodontist (my wife's boss, who's letting us use his downstairs break room / conference space) and two dentists. When you get there, go around to the back of the building and go down the steps. At the bottom there'll be a door; knock and we'll let you in (we'll be close enough to hear you).

See you on the 6th!

Just thought I'd give this a bump, to remind everyone of Sunday's big dogfight. Looks like we'll have WGF AND WGS going on (I'll bring a couple of big folding tables, so we can run two games simultaneously). Directions are below. Hope to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by von Fustercluck View Post
    The location is 926 Katherine Avenue, which is very close to Ashland High School. It's called the Dental Arts Building, shared by an orthodontist (my wife's boss, who's letting us use his downstairs break room / conference space) and two dentists. When you get there, go around to the back of the building and go down the steps. At the bottom there'll be a door; knock and we'll let you in (we'll be close enough to hear you).

See you on the 6th!

I can't wait! This is my first meet up with others on this forum. I may actually get to meet some of my wingmen!

I can't wait! This is my first meet up with others on this forum. I may actually get to meet some of my wingmen!
    You will be really impressed when you meet us.

We all look like movie stars.

It'll be my first as well!

Hey, I wonder if we could have a forum medal struck for the occasion. Does anyone know how to go about doing that?

I don't know how but I would love to see a flying Buckeye medal!

BTW are we bringing snacks or beverages to share?

Hey, I wonder if we could have a forum medal struck for the occasion. Does anyone know how to go about doing that?
    Ken, The Cowman, is the Awards Adjunct and said that he will be there if he can get a ride.

Hmmm, maybe another medal can be struck for the person who gives Ken a ride

And yes, please bring whatever beverages--alcoholic or otherwise--that you like. We'll be making popcorn (in a real theater-style machine, so you know it'll be good), but if there's any other snack you like, bring that along, too. If we're hungry for something more substantial we can order pizza.

And I'd love to hear what planes everyone will be bringing! Here are mine: 4 Albatros DVas, 4 SPAD XIIIs, 3 Halberstadt CL.IIs, 3 Bristol F.2bs. I've just ordered some SE5as and Pfalz D.IIIs, but, alas, they won't be here in time (but I'll have them for Fields of Glory in May).

That is how I envisioned you all. Flynn, Niven, Gable and even Peck; you all are amazing! I am honored to fly n your shadows!

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    You will be really impressed when you meet us.

We all look like movie stars.

Looks like I will not be attending. Had to make an appointment to see my tax service, & the only time the could get me in was Sunday or Monday. I could do Monday, so Sunday it is. I knew it was a long shot, but...

Well that is a boo! I will miss meeting you. Hopefully at Origins!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Looks like I will not be attending. Had to make an appointment to see my tax service, & the only time the could get me in was Sunday or Monday. I could do Monday, so Sunday it is. I knew it was a long shot, but...
    You could do Monday so you just don't want to see us?

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    You could do Monday so you just don't want to see us?
    Whoops! CAN'T do Monday! Contraction-al issue.

Barring a last minute smack by Murphy, I'll be there.

Sadly no; forum medals are for convention-sized gathering. That won't keep us from having fun (and maybe planning this as a regular event :hint::hint.
    Besides, the social-media stuff here is just icing on the cake, as it were: speaking of which:

And yes, please bring whatever beverages--alcoholic or otherwise--that you like. We'll be making popcorn (in a real theater-style machine, so you know it'll be good), but if there's any other snack you like, bring that along, too. If we're hungry for something more substantial we can order pizza.
    I'll be bringing a cake, with a surprise
    A pizza run would be good, too, since dinner afterwards will be tough, timing wise for me (night-fighter patrol Monday )

And I'd love to hear what planes everyone will be bringing! Here are mine: 4 Albatros DVas, 4 SPAD XIIIs, 3 Halberstadt CL.IIs, 3 Bristol F.2bs. I've just ordered some SE5as and Pfalz D.IIIs, but, alas, they won't be here in time (but I'll have them for Fields of Glory in May).
    To answer that, all I can say is, yes
    Karl

If anyone needs to reach me, my cell number is 419-496-1782. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

I will be bringing European theater 109s, 190s, Spits, Hurricanes and the such. Also one of Luis' mats.

Thomas

Great! I hope others will bring mats as well, because that's one thing I don't have (yet).

Mats?

I will bring two of the old Wings of War mats.

Don't forget to post some pics chaps

You can always put in for a minor con GM and attendee medal.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    You can always put in for a minor con GM and attendee medal.
    Not sure that would fly with the awards guy.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Great! I hope others will bring mats as well, because that's one thing I don't have (yet).
    I am bringing all my planes and 4 mats... including Gotha V's, Capronis, and a Staaken.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Well, we're covered for (in) mats, then. So I'll just bring planes. And beer. and cake.
    Karl

A wonderful times was had by all. The skies were clear, and the action was heroic. Thanks to all, especially Von Flustercluck, for a great time. It was an honor to meet my new friends from Ashland, and to see old ones again. Looking forward to our next adventure!

That is how I envisioned you all. Flynn, Niven, Gable and even Peck; you all are amazing! I am honored to fly n your shadows!
    No ! No !

Not those guys.

I mean the Marx Brothers and the Three Stooges.

I was there today and we had a blast! Lots of great flying, shooting and bungling (mostly me!). I would love to do it again - soon! It was great to meet my wingmen and guys that I have been chatting with here for several years. I cannot wait for Origins!

Thanks for the game guys. Biggest dog fight I've ever been in. Nice to meet all of you and spit some lead at each other. Thanks to the Ashland Aerodrome for hosting the game and putting up with us. Definitely up for some more!

CappyTom started a fresh thread about yesterday - with pictures!

Thanks to everyone who came out! I'm looking forward to seeing you at Fields of Glory on May 3!

Thank you John for a great day of flying in miniature. Well done!

Name:  DSCF2730.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2711.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  142.3 KB

Some of the fun photos.

Thomas

It was a great time flying in Ashland. Thanks to our host for having us, and I can't wait until the next time we meet.
    Karl

More pictures for the Rogues Gallery:

Name:  DSCF0041.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  157.2 KBName:  DSCF0042.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  151.7 KB

Here I am flying the two seater with green and white wings.
    Hoping to get off of the board before I am shot down.
    The observer is dead, the pilot is wounded and my plane has engine damage.

Name:  Escape.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  201.4 KB

After escaping off of the edge of the board, my plane is repaired, I get a new observer, my pilot's wounds are miraculously healed and I return to the battle after siting on the sidelines for a couple of turns.

Then the BOOM Card sends my pilot and the observer to Valhalla.

Name:  The BOOM Card.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  218.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Dogfight vs Son#2
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 18:33
  2. Dogfight vs Son#1
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 16