Ares Games

Thread: Re-painting WoW miniatures

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul C
    Sorties Flown

Default Re-painting WoW miniatures

Hello Gentlemen. I have a question for the re-paint brigade .
    When contemplting a complete re-paint of a WoW miniature do you paint strip off the markings etc or do you apply your new finish straight over the top?
    Thanks in advance
    Paul C

Hi Paul, I've never repainted one of the figures so I'll be curious to see what the experts say.

From my experiance with other miniatures I'd say strip it back to bare metal, you'll keep any fine detail on the figure that way.
    Last edited by Gaz67; 07-31-2010 at 11:17. Reason: Apparently I can't spell after 3 beers....

It depends on what plane you are using to repaint and what the final plane is going to look like. For my RNAS No. 9 planes, I'm just pulling the decals off the Ellwood minis as they are very close to what the final planes will look like. The same goes for any lozenge camo I might need.

If the final plane is completely different, I will look at stripping it. However, I did try stripping a Camel and D.Va mini with Simple Green and it was not easy. The planes finally did strip down, but all the glue also fell apart and all the surfaces got a little bit of "bite" to them.

I think in the future I will be just trying to remove the decals and repaint over the original paint... there is not much detail on the WWI planes to begin with after all.

I have been selecting the plan that has the closest resemblance to what I want, and then painting over it, decals and all. I tried stripping one of the plans a while back and nothing I used would take off the paint. As I tried stronger and strong chemicals, I eventually ended up melting wings and never did remove much paint. Some of the decals will come off, but even these can be remarkably difficult to remove without damaging the plane. Thus after this experience, and a bit of experimentation with the paint, I discovered that the plans look great if you just remove any loose decals and paint over everything else. If you are using light colors like yellow, a base coat of white helps.

Steve

I'll have to agree with the others on this one, after having a few paint stripping misadventures.

I usually just pick a model that is similar in colour scheme (or at least light in colour) to start with, and scrape off any decals that I would be painting over. I prefer not to undercoat them, the fewer layers of paint the better IMO so as not to obscure details.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I have been selecting the plan that has the closest resemblance to what I want, and then painting over it, decals and all.
    Steve
    I concur with Steve. This is the approach that I have taken ever since I nearly came to grief with my Albert Ball Nieuport. I took the pragmatic view that if some old detail did show through, it was mirroring the real paint jobs of the period. You can see on many aircraft where earlier squadron markings have just been painted over.
    Luckily this has not happened to any of my repaints so far. Do remember to stir your paint well in order to maximize the amount of pigment you apply, and watch out if using orange, yellow or light green because the coverage is not as good. A white undercoat is often advisable over those parts.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Paul C
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have a go with a simple undercoat then top coat and let you know how I fared.
    All the best
    Paul C

I have repainted all of my aircraft and never stripped any. If a light colour is needed then I paint that area white first, many of the darker colours will cover the original paintwork. I only take decals off if they already overhang or have ragged edges otherwise I paint over them.

I never paint the undersides as these are never seen when the planes are on table.

I've tried soaking the planes over night in water, but that didn't work very well. The glue used to hold them together is weakened by the eater. In the end I just ended up scraping with an exacto knife.

One thing that made it a lot easier is isopropyl alcohol -used with the exacto knife. I found that the decals come off a LOT easier that way.

I first paint on some alcohol with a paint brush and before it dries, I add some more. I then scrape sideways with the exacto knife. The longer the alcohol is on the plane the easier it is to scrape the decals off.

Hope this helps.

Thumbs up Re-painting WoW miniatures

Rick!

Last year i had to strip the finish off a plane i built! I went by the grocery store and bought a bio safe oven cleaner! With that and a tooth brush and some soaking it took most of the paint off. I used a scotch brite to remove some of it. The tooth brush worked great in the panel lines and recess! I stripped that plane twice, before i had the paint right!

Rich

Similar Missions

1. WGS: Series 3 Miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 10:18
  2. WoW vs WoW:Doww2
    By BD Ford in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 08:39
  3. WGF: Series 4 Miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements