Ares Games

Thread: Explosion Card... instead maybe something like this

Default Explosion Card... instead maybe something like this

I think the explosion card is quite harsh. I use a triple A deck and or double B deck, so many chances for a Boom! I came up with a random damage list to use when an explosion card is drawn. 1/6 will be a Boom, but with the rest there are still many other bad things happening.
    Use two d6, preferably different color. One for the 10s, one for the one's.

Explosion Card Random Events.doc
    Last edited by Teaticket; 03-31-2014 at 17:29.

Peter,

You are not alone, and you might find this thread interesting: The Explosion Card.

Another thread for a Critical Hit deck: Another Deck of Cards - Critical Hit.

Most players try to stay away from dice, instead keeping with cards, to maintain the flavor and be consistent with game mechanics. Might need to amend a deck with some of your ideas, though.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-10-2014 at 20:18.

Thanks Mike. Since I play with the solo rules you need a six sided die so I thought dice were ok. Two give 36 outcomes, a nice bit of variety.

I have not yet explored the whole site here so thanks for the links. I'll check them out for sure.

Most don't look at it as an explosion per se but rather a critical hit that takes you out - it would be easier with three decks to just take two out ! Have a look here Pete for LGKRs original Critical Hit deck - Skafloc has created one somewhere too.

Explosions are fine. In using multiple decks I've tried several approaches. One is you explode on a second Boom card. Another is the first one that appears doesn't have any effect but from then on they are a Boom.

I think there are many other options that can be explored using the explosion card for random events. I looked at the critical hit deck Flash just linked and they all put you out of action. A different explanation for why you are out, but only one outcome.

I am just offering more options instead of end of game. All my options range from Boom to minor distractions. I like the chance of more and different handicaps instead of the 100% getting knocked out of the game Boom card.

I've used multiple decks for solo campaign games and "friendlies" and don't have too much of an issue with them... though, recently, it seems as if I've been drawing an inordinate number of them early in game... perhaps I need to shuffle just a bit longer?

Back on point, I don't mind the Boom card so much, but I can see your point. Maybe Flash's suggestion is the easiest... rather than creating an additional mechanic, simply remove one or more explosion cards from play? I know one of my players would certainly appreciate such a move... whereas my fate is usually to be consumed by flames, his is the seemingly-inevitable death by BOOM.

Removing Boom cards will ease the pain for sure but I am also trying to add a little flavor with other problems to overcome. Being used to playing much more complicated boardgames this to me seems easy enough to me. Rolling a pair of dice a few times a game isn't that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Rolling a pair of dice a few times a game isn't that difficult.
    Agreed. Especially since dice are required for the solo charts.

And flavor is rarely a bad thing!

So far in my two solo games I played with this set of events I've had one Boom with no damage to other planes, A couple of rudder jams and the ever embarassing scarf in the face.

...and the ever embarassing scarf in the face.
    Absolutely brutal.

Scarf in the face, oh God not that! lol

The explosion card never bothered me. As mentioned, I also count it as another catastrophic event.

Hi Pete,
    I've been using LGKR's deck, but I think I'm going to expand it with some of your outcomes.
    The scarf one in particular is priceless, will add some humour to a desperate situation

The LGKR deck gives different explanations for why you are out of action. I just expanded on that to lessen the end of game for someone drawing the boom card and spice it up a bit. Last night my fiancee did go boom even with my event list. It should stay a possibility but I think just not as often. 1 in 35 in an A deck in quite lethal, especially since I use 3 decks!

I'm with Flash here, if too many boom chances for you play with just one in your multiple decks.
    Yes it's a pain to get boom straight away but that is the chance of the period,
    If you want to last longer then again there are methods, I split my multiple decks in half and shuffle the boom card in the lower deck

With WGF I like to go with the Boom counting as 10 damage points: stops you leaving the game too early but can still take you out if you've already taken damage.

It would be great to have data on how many planes went down per encounter. Then setting the right ratio of critical hit cards would be easy.

I like your 10 point damage per boom card Simon.

I just like the idea of more outcomes. I see one argument against dice. Maybe I'll make a list with 44 options and one just draws a card and matches the card #.
    (35 cards in the A deck and 44 in the B) I think dice are easier to read than those tiny #s.

If no one likes this, so be it. Its not like you are forced to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangely Brown View Post
    With WGF I like to go with the Boom counting as 10 damage points: stops you leaving the game too early but can still take you out if you've already taken damage.
    As does Peter, I like this. Might work for big games... especially with beginners. Another option would be draw additional cards (I'm thinking 2 or 3?) after the BOOM card... there's a chance for more damage, or a lucky break!

If no one likes this, so be it. Its not like you are forced to use it.
    Fair point. Definitely give it a whirl... I'd like to see what comes of it.

I just checked out the solo rules in the files section by the Pensacola group. Their critical hit deck is closer to mine where you doon't always fall from the sky like the LGKR deck.

I agree Chris, 2-3 more cards after a BOOM give you some wiggle room. Early on you have a better survival chance, but late in the battle when your kite is barely holding together...

Yep. And a couple of lucky zeroes drawn as a BOOM "follow-up" can extend the fight nicely. A "Jam" special damage card drawn in this fashion wouldn't, I imagine, please the shooter all too much!

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Yep. And a couple of lucky zeroes drawn as a BOOM "follow-up" can extend the fight nicely. A "Jam" special damage card drawn in this fashion wouldn't, I imagine, please the shooter all too much!
    I would not link the shooter to any jams on the two cards drawn for the BOOM. His shot was the BOOM. No jam for shooter but recipient would get any special damage.

True... but I can see it working either way. If I can get the crew together next week, I'll see about giving these options an opportunity to see the table.

I would not link the shooter to any jams on the two cards drawn for the BOOM. His shot was the BOOM. No jam for shooter but recipient would get any special damage.
    Completely concur, Peter. Any drawn damage initiated from the Boom Card is damage to the receiving plane. No jam results should be imposed on the shooter, as the cards are "extra" draws, not shots. I hadn't thought to impose the extra special damage, too. Nasty, but probable?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Completely concur, Peter. Any drawn damage initiated from the Boom Card is damage to the receiving plane. No jam results should be imposed on the shooter, as the cards are "extra" draws, not shots. I hadn't thought to impose the extra special damage, too. Nasty, but probable?

Mike
    True, the shooter's initial result was a BOOM... but if we're playing that the BOOM is not a catastrophic failure of some variety, then it's really just a card that initiates a sequence of card draws. If that's the case, then I can see it playing out either way... apply only numerical damage, or both numerical and special damage results.

As for the "extra draws, not shots" rationale... wouldn't this be similar to close range vs. long range shooting? We draw two cards for close range, because (I believe) the assumption is that the shooter is more likely to hit his target... not that he's firing more bullets.

And, although the damage potential is greater, the shooter is punished for firing at short range... he's twice as likely to jam his guns, despite the fact that he's not -- technically -- expending any more ammunition.

A shooter at long range might not be so keen on wasting ammunition with less of a hit chance as to laying it into a close range target?
    We can rationalize just about anything, can't we?

We can rationalize just about anything, can't we?
    We can at that. So long as all involved in a particular game are in agreement, I can't see any reason why any of the potential interpretations wouldn't be appropriate.

The flexibility of this system is one of the things I most appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    We can at that. So long as all involved in a particular game are in agreement, I can't see any reason why any of the potential interpretations wouldn't be appropriate.

The flexibility of this system is one of the things I most appreciate.
    Yes, the degree which we can modify to our hearts content is amazing. Some of the AARs I've read are highly imaginable.

I have modified the list, if anyone is interested.

I have modified the list, if anyone is interested.
    I am.

I'd like to give it a run-through next week, before Havoc. Especially hoping to inflict the dreaded "scarf in the face" upon some deserving foe!

I modified my critical hit event table. Dice or no dice, your choice. Events have been changed, one now includes shooting your prop off. Have fun!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 321
    Last Post: 03-23-2024, 23:23
  2. The Explosion card
    By I Flew With Braddoc in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 16:49
  3. Explosion card drawn while overlapping
    By Wats3945 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 18:06
  4. Explosion Card - expanded alternates deck