Ares Games

Thread: Scoring a victory question

Default Scoring a victory question

In our last game we had a situation like this:

A Fokker was hit by ground fire which caused a fire result.

It was then hit by a Scout in air-to-air combat while still burning in the turn following. No one else scored a hit.

On the following turn the fire damage finished it off.

Would this be a shared victory, or a ground crew victory, or the plane's victory? The plane was the last and only one to shoot at it in the last full turn where their was shooting. However the fire caused by the hit made by the ground crew was the only damage taken in the last turn the plane was still flying.

I ruled it one way one, but now have my doubts. Discussion is appreciated.

IMO, The last one that shot at it gets the kill; just remember the arguments on who shot down the Red Baron!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

The last one who shoot it get the kill.

There can be exceptions of this rule, when the last shot (s) does not cause damage and only the fire damage does the job. So it's hard to press every aerial victory in a general rule. (Just activate your "honorable Wings of Glory Aerodrome member conscience" and make a decision or agree with your fellow players.)

If two scouts finished off one enmy the same shooting phase, the one who inflicted more damge get the kill. (Allies share the kill in this situation)

That's how I play it for the Central Powers & the Axis.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I agree last shot claims the kill or if two planes the one causing the most damage. (unless a non-rookie and a rookie). In this case the rookie as he would have last shot. IMHO.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I'd go with Sven; normally the last one who causes the fatal damage to it gets the kill - the exception being when the last shot(s) causes no damage and the fire damage does the job. However, in this case, you could argue that as no aircraft fired at it in the phase it went down then the gunners get the kill. Bottom line - it's your game, go with what feels right in this case.
    I differ from Sven where two or more scouts inflict damage that could have finished off one enemy in the same shooting phase. The one who is closest gets to fire & resolve its combat first & therefore gets the kill.
    Don't recall where I read it but when I started playing it was detailed that the closest aircraft always fired first regardless of side or position. the example given was a chain of aircraft with A at the front, B behind him, C behind him, D behind him - A & C are on the same side. C fired first as he was closer to B than B to A or D to him, it then went on to resolve the chain of engagements based on their comparative ranges. It demonstrated that by playing in this way you could shoot someone down before they get to shoot your wingman and as that made good sense I've played it that way ever since !
    Last edited by flash; 03-10-2014 at 02:31.

I had originally ruled that the last guy who did damage got the kill. So what you guys said goes in line with that. The fact that the plane went a whole turn more without anyone shooting at it before crashing was what was throwing me.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I agree last shot claims the kill or if two planes the one causing the most damage. (unless a non-rookie and a rookie). In this case the rookie as he would have last shot. IMHO.
    Unless flying for the Central Powers a campaign game... as the more experienced (and well-connected) jagdflier might get credit from Idflieg!

So I guess the same goes if a Scout sets an enemy on fire. If another friendly Scout fires on the burning enemy but misses, Scout #1 gets the kill?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    So I guess the same goes if a Scout sets an enemy on fire. If another friendly Scout fires on the burning enemy but misses, Scout #1 gets the kill?
    Yep that would be my take on it.

Similar Missions

1. WGFF: Winged Victory
    By Burt in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-09-2014, 10:56
  2. Scenario Victory Conditions Question
    By ptownhiker in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 16:11
  3. Certificate of the First Aerial Victory
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club