Ares Games

Thread: UK a Games a Expo, Birmingham, 29/30 May and 1 June

Default UK a Games a Expo, Birmingham, 29/30 May and 1 June

Chaps,
    Today at WMMS we were approached by one of the organisers of the UK Games Expo, asking if we would be willing to put on a participation game over the weekend of 30 May and 1 June.
    This will clash with our Newark venture, but I have not yet had confirmation from them yet.

The Expo convention is not a Wargames show as such but a general "Games Show" of all types.
    The idea is to go Friday evening, set up and play if you wish and have the stamina, play Saturday and Saturday evening, again if you are full of beans still and Sunday.

The venue is at the Hilton hotel and rooms are available if you want to stay over.

At the moment we are looking for Anyone interested in taking part, whether it's just a day or all weekend.
    Being a games show and not a wargames show, we should get even more exposure.

Here is a link to the games website https://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk

So anyone interested let me know and I'll see if we can get something sorted

I'd love to go to the UK Games Expo Chris, but I'll have to consult my diary and my swmbo to see if I'm available on that weekend and I'll get back to you.

I see Fantasy Flight Games are going to be there.

Subject to diary/SWMBO I could be up for this.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

As per our conversation at WMMS, you can count me in for this (WGS) for the two days, in preference to Partizan at Newark.

The Hilton eh : Top form old boy.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

have requested the time off - just waiting for a response.

Very enticing, but will have to work on MRS K.
    May be able to blag one day.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

If we are doing Partizan I Might be able to do that and release someone else to do Expo
    it is the weekend after a re-enactment weekend, so dodgy ground (SWMBO)

Ok chaps a few interested, if I can I would do the Fri night and Saturday and then off to Newark for the Sunday so I'll make an application to attend for us

Received confirmation at Salute that we have a 12 by 6 table for WGS at the expo next month.
    So Strangely a Brown, was up for this , please confirm Simon, the main issue is that the expo chaps have used their allocation of accomodation so we will have to plan and organise our own accommodation.I hope to be up on the Friday night to run some WGF and to be available for Sat before moving on to Partisan on the Sunday with the WingCo.

So guys need some names who can commit to help out , if poss Friday night, all day and possibly eveningSaturday and Sunday to help Simon.
    Will open a new thread for Partizan

Cheers chaps

I can confirm attendance for the weekend and will run WGS and depending on if I can get the mat done in time, WGF. I guess simplified rules with height and limited ammo to keep the turnover of punters going.... Anybody else up for this?

I am off shift That weekend so I can be there Saturday poss Friday night but need to leave Sat ready for Newark on the Sunday

Alas, I'm already commited to SWASH at Leeds Armouries.

I can do either, but not both, of Expo and Newark.
    Problem - I don't do WW2, so have no planes or rules, and both venues are scheduled for WGS.
    I am happy to help out, but have very little experience to offer.

Tim check the Newark thread

Ok chaps only a few weeks for this one, so looking for names and when available please.
    We have a 12 by 6 table Saturday and Sunday.
    I will be there to help Strangely Brown on Saturday but we could do with a couple more plus help for Sunday as I will be in Newark.
    So any helpers please

No can do on this one Chris. 3 weekends in one month would be a push to far. Hope it all goes well.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Last call for this show chaps, let me know if you can come along to assist myself and Strangely Brown on Saturday and especially the Sunday.
    Intention is Strangely browns WW2 BoB scenarios over the two days.
    If possible also Friday night some WW1.

Alas, I'm working late into the evening Friday, and Saturday all day, and Sunday is WWI @ Newark, so I'm afraid I can't help with this one

With the help of Boney on the Friday night and Saturday ( ) we managed to attract a good few punters wanting to have go in the skies of WW1... And ably assisted by my wife (who kept me going despite my Man-Flu), Sunday was given over to several WW2 scenarios.

Saturday in the Hilton was manic with over 4,000 through the doors and we had a steady day of first timers, blowing-the-dust-off's and even a few from the X-Wing tournament!

Sunday was a lot quieter, as I think all the gongoozelers came on Saturday, but we still had good interest, with some players returning to try WGS and to compare the two different game mechanics. One chap asked for a quick demonstration and no sooner had we set up than he found himself in the middle of a serious furball as others joined in. Welcome to BoB!

The Expo is a truly massive affair, with lots going on from competitions, demo games, cosplay, tournaments, card games and a hell of a load of traders. Not being a pure "wargames" show, people were a lot more willing to have a look at tables outside of their actual interest, which makes a nice change from the "oh I play xxx instead.."

Another nice touch was the Library, where you could sign out a game, find a spare table, get a few others and have a go, whether that was in the bar, one of the tables in the corridors or in the main rooms after the tournaments had finished for the day. Play went onto the wee hours and with the Hilton allowing pizza delivery into the games areas (and with a 50% off deal for the Expo) it created a great atmosphere.

The organisers have already said that we would be welcomed back, should we wish to. Any takers for a weekend of gaming, beer and pizza?

Glad all went ok on Sunday Simon,
    I can concur with a lot of what Simon has said about the Expo , the Friday night and Saturday was excellent, I for one would definately go back.
    I shall contact the organisers this week and see if we can get something arranged, ladies and gents I would recommend this show, not only for WGF and WGS but it catered for all types og games and gamers

Looks like a plan for next year.

I would certainly back the show, even if it clashes with Partisan, especially if the latter is in a tent with no seating again next year. Expo sounds a much better place to attract new blood from outside the normal War Gaming community.
    Rob.

Been a bit behind with pics , sorry real life threw me a couple of Full toss's

Some pics of the weekend spent in Birmingham.
    Friday night set up then Saturday.
    More pics in an album marked as Games Expo

Simon ( Strangely Brown ) setting up

only a small display this time

Simons collection, or a part anyway

Simon and his good lady, we split the table 50 -50 for WW1 & WW2 demo

From the WW1 table

Some of the Public we introduced to the game

These two chaps had never heard of the game, but were off to find and buy if they could

This young lad really enjoyed himself, much to Strangely Browns chagrin

From the WW2 table

Some more pics in album marked as Games Expo

This was a really good looking show, hopefully we can get in again next year
    Last edited by Boney10; 07-27-2014 at 02:35.

Duplicate
    Last edited by Boney10; 07-26-2014 at 07:36.

Hiccup?

Great pics, looks a fine show. How big was it overall?

Hmmm don't know why it posted twice, but seems to done this on a couple of posts this afternoon

The show itself took over the whole of the lower floor of the Hilton hotel . Was huge, I really hope we get asked back I only stayed the one night but would have stayed the whole weekend

With more and more shows now coming into the calender thanks to the excellent work that the chaps are doing - is it worth pulling together a calender for 2015 with every show we know about - we can then flag which ones we can attend, and from that we can work out who is available as/when we have date clashes. more than happy to sort out some sort of excel based thingy. Is it worth doing or as usual am I behind the times and this has already been actioned by someone else?

Chris,
    I generally send out a list towards the end of the year listing the known dates for the next year.
    However 2015 I may not be as active due to circumstances, so if you want to make such a list by all means do so as far as I am concerned.
    I have a few contacts for the shows which
    I can pass on to Organisers. I will do Sheffield, but that may be it from me.

Jan: (Nothing)
    Feb: Vapnartak, York
    Mar: WMMS, Wolverhampton
    Mar: Call to Muster, Middlesbrough
    Apr: Salute, London
    May: Carronade, Falkirk
    May: Triples, Sheffield
    Jun: Partizan, Newark
    Jun: Wartorn, Scarborough
    Jul: Attack, Devizes
    Jul: SEWS, Bovington
    Aug: Claymore, Edinburgh
    Aug: IPMS Avon show, Thornbury
    Sep: Border Reiver, Gateshead
    Sep: Aerodrome Annual Get Together, Doncaster
    Oct: World Championship, Derby
    Nov: (Nothing)
    Dec: RECON, Leeds

Jan Penarth Crusade
    May Birmingham Games Expo
    Nov Reading Warfare
    Last edited by Boney10; 07-28-2014 at 01:36.

Chris or Neil, If you remind me after the World Champs, I will remove the 2014 dates from the sticky and replace it with this for 2015.
    Rob.

Will do, in the meantime I will start pulling together some sort of calendar with available pilots - although will have to await my return from across the pond - need to go and complete last minute ironing... boo !

Don't knock the ironing Chris, I still have to clean out the Porter-loo from the weekend, which is why I'm still working on here.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Don't knock the ironing Chris, I still have to clean out the Porter-loo from the weekend, which is why I'm still working on here.
    Rob.
    Some people have all the luck

Anyone fancy a trip to Crisis at Antwerp in November '15, to show Johnny Foreigner how to put on a demo game?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Some people have all the luck

Anyone fancy a trip to Crisis at Antwerp in November '15, to show Johnny Foreigner how to put on a demo game?
    Mrs. K. has been on about a trip to Belgium for some time. Now how do I put this proposition to her diplomatically? I think she wants to go to Brussels.
    Rob.

If anyone has dates now they can be put in the forum calendar for next year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Mrs. K. has been on about a trip to Belgium for some time. Now how do I put this proposition to her diplomatically? I think she wants to go to Brussels.
    Rob.
    Brussels is only 30 minutes by train from Antwerp. I am sure Mrs K will enjoy looking around the many sights (Not including the Royal Army Museum). Antwerp has a nice cathedral as well. Better not mention the bars.....

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 04:03
  2. What's on your workbench for June.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 00:34
  3. UK Games Expo 2013
    By Cobra in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2013, 05:28
  4. Wintercon 9-11 June, ACT