Ares Games

Thread: Scout versus Aviatik and Albatros (scenario 1 of multi-player Early War Campaign)

Default Scout versus Aviatik and Albatros (scenario 1 of multi-player Early War Campaign)

Things had heated up on the front; we were spread thin and I was patrolling solo. I happened upon a pair of Hun heading to a position where we were massing artillery to begin a new offensive. As I got closer I could see both were two-seaters; an Aviatik and an Albatros. They took evasive action splitting left and right. I went after the Aviatik.

Attachment 125149

Attachment 125150

Attachment 125151

I got some nasty hits on him as he barreled past and then rolled around to pursue him. Meanwhile the Albatros continued on to its target.

Attachment 125152

Attachment 125153

Attachment 125154

I closed on the Aviatik and sent his flaming carcass earthward.

Attachment 125156

Attachment 125157

Attachment 125159

I watched him go down and then turned my plane to give chase to the Albatros who had finished photographing the target and was on his way back to the front.

Attachment 125162

Attachment 125163

Attachment 125164

Attachment 125165

Attachment 125166

Attachment 125168

His observer dropped down and I continued my pursuit as we approached the trenches. Then his rudder fell off and I knew I had him.

Attachment 125170

Attachment 125171

Attachment 125173

I knew he was defenseless and I pulled along trying to convince him to give up and fly back to my aerodrome. But it was no good; he continued to try and evade me. We were approaching his side of the line and I fired again; white smoke poured from his engine and he started down.

Attachment 125175

Attachment 125176

Attachment 125177

He crashed in no man's land not far from our trench line. I then beat a hasty retreat back to friendly territory.

The Butcher's Tally:

Lt. Charles Lewis Diamond / RTB / - / 2 Victories

Albatros Crew
    Pilot / SD no man's land / KIA / -
    Observer/ SD no man's land / WIA POW / -

Aviatik Crew
    Pilot / SD ET / KIA / -
    Observer / SD ET / POW / -
    Last edited by WWIflyingace; 03-09-2014 at 16:28.

Chuck!
    Excellent AAR.
    Can you tell me what is the playing mat?

I wish I could. They were a gift I received some time ago. I'll check around and let you know what I find out.

Congrats to this Lt. Diamond on another set of victories! He'll be one for both sides to watch.

The mat in question come from the old Milton-Bradley (in partnership with Games Workshop) game "Battlemasters"

I have 4 sets myself. Thought about using them for WoG before, especially on actions closer to the ground. Still might.

Thank you! Looks like a pretty cool game that went with the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post
    Thank you! Looks like a pretty cool game that went with the mat.
    It was. Sort of Warhammer for the mass market. I was a big HeroQuest fan back then, so Battlemasters was a natural fit for me.

Great AAR and as Joaquim noticed the mat so did I.
    For low missions an ideal choice.
    I look forward to the next mission of Lt. Diamond.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for the info.
    These mats are great.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    It was. Sort of Warhammer for the mass market. I was a big HeroQuest fan back then, so Battlemasters was a natural fit for me.
    HeroQuest was some serious good times... not familiar with Battlemasters, however. Looks as though I missed something, there.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    A Spanish company tried to start Hero Quest on Kickstarter but ran into some copyright problems. Although the original company had no objections, some other copyright details had been secured elsewhere. The company then ran the funding on a Spanish version of Kickstarter and successfully funded the project. There are new heroes to choose from, some new monsters, and new mapboards. Here's a link:

http://www.lanzanos.com/proyectos/he...o/necesidades/

Similar Missions

1. Aviatik versus Hanriot. New planes forged in fire.
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 09:33
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 16:09
  3. Site: Congrats to Dutchy for winning the Multi Player Mission Contest
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 18:15
  4. Multi Player Mission Contest - Win a Red Baron Mini
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 14