Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario 3 - Balloon Busting)

Default Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario 3 - Balloon Busting)

Scenario Three: Balloon Busting – By WWIflyingace

1. As Entente Pilot:

2. The situation:
    The phrase “balloons going up” indicates an upcoming artillery attack. As part of the ongoing air campaign during the battle of Loos balloon busting is a priority. However, in a time prior to Pomeroy incendiary bullets and le Pierre rockets pilots had to depend on machine guns, flechettes and grenades to get the job done.

And the job has to get done. With moderate cloud cover 9 October 1915 you take off and head towards the front line near Loos.

From reports you know the approximate location of the balloons and use cloud cover to mask your approach as much as possible. Then through the clouds you see them and make your move!

3. Entente Side:

3.1. Entente Aircraft:
    Player’s choice from available aircraft for himself and wingman.

3.2. Entente Aircraft movement:
    Player controls both aircraft until enemy planes arrive; then wingman uses Solo movement to engage.

3.3. Entente Objective:
    Destroy the enemy balloon.

4. Central Powers Side:

4.1 Central Powers Aircraft:
    Ae 800 Balloon guarded by 3 trenches and 3 B machine guns plus two planes of player’s choice from available aircraft.

4.2. Central Powers Movement:
    The balloon is stationary and takes 12 turns to lower to the ground or is at height 4 if using altitude rules. Aircraft use Solo movement rules.

4.3. Central Powers Objective:
    Keep the balloon from being destroyed.

5. Playing Area Set-up:

5.1 Area of Play:
    The area of play should be 120cm x 120cm or larger.

5.2 Starting Positions:

5.2.1 Your planes start anywhere half a ruler from center of map on Entente’s side.

5.2.2 One B gun is located at center of Central Powers’ side at map edge; the balloon is located on the center line one ruler to the B gun’s front. The other B guns are located one ruler to the left and right of the front edge of the balloon. One trench card is centered between the B guns and one ruler in front while the other two are equal distance to the left and right of the remaining B guns in line with the center trench.

5.2.3 To determine when Central Powers’ planes arrive roll a d6 at the beginning of the turn. On a roll of 6 they arrive at the beginning of the NEXT turn. On turn of ARRIVAL roll d6 to determine where they arrive. On a 1 they arrive within one ruler of left trench line, 2 within one ruler of right trench line, 3 left corner, 4 right corner, 5 left side of Central Powers’ map edge, 6 right side of Central Powers map edge. Entering aircraft draw AA fire until they engage Entente aircraft.

6. Winning Conditions:

6.1 Entente player wins if he destroys the balloon.

6.2 Central Powers player wins if he lowers the balloon before it is destroyed.

7. Available Aircraft:

7.1 Entente

Auro 504c
    Bristol Scout C
    RAF BE2c
    Sopwith Tabloid
    Vickers FB5

7.2 Central Powers:

Ago C.II
    Albatros C.I
    Aviatik C.I
    Fokker E.II (upgraded to E.III standard)
    Fokker E.III
    Friedrichshafer FF33E
    Gotha G.I
    Rumpler C.I (observer gun only)

11. As Central Power Pilot:

12. The situation:
    The phrase “balloons going up” indicates an upcoming artillery attack. As part of the ongoing air campaign during the battle of Loos balloon busting is a priority. However, in a time prior to Pomeroy incendiary bullets and le Pierre rockets pilots had to depend on machine guns, flechettes and grenades to get the job done.

And the job has to get done. With moderate cloud cover 9 October 1915 you take off and head towards the front line near Loos.

From reports you know the approximate location of the balloons and use cloud cover to mask your approach as much as possible. Then through the clouds you see them and make your move!

13. Entente Side:

13.1. Entente Aircraft:
    Ae 800 Balloon guarded by 3 trenches and 3 B machine guns plus two planes of player’s choice from available aircraft.

13.2. Entente Aircraft movement:
    The balloon is stationary and takes 12 turns to lower to the ground or is at height 4 if using altitude rules. Aircraft use Solo movement rules

13.3. Entente Objective:
    Keep the balloon from being destroyed.

14. Central Powers Side:

14.1 Central Powers Aircraft:
    Player’s choice from available aircraft for himself and wingman.

14.2. Central Powers Movement:
    Player controls both aircraft until enemy planes arrive; then wingman uses Solo movement to engage.

14.3. Central Powers Objective:
    Destroy the enemy balloon.

15. Playing Area Set-up:

15.1 Area of Play:
    The area of play should be 120cm x 120cm or larger.

15.2 Starting Positions:

15.2.1 Your plane starts anywhere half a ruler from center of map on Central Powers’ side.

15.2.2 One B gun is located at center of Central Powers’ side at map edge; the balloon is located on the center line one ruler to the B gun’s front. The other B guns are located one ruler to the left and right of the front edge of the balloon. One trench card is centered between the B guns and one ruler in front while the other two are equal distance to the left and right of the remaining B guns in line with the center trench.

15.2.3 To determine when Entente planes arrive roll a d6 at the beginning of the turn. On a roll of 6 they arrive at the beginning of the NEXT turn. On turn of ARRIVAL roll d6 to determine where they arrive. On a 1 they arrive within one ruler of left trench line, 2 within one ruler of right trench line, 3 left corner, 4 right corner, 5 left side of Entente’s map edge, 6 right side of Entente map edge. Entering aircraft draw AA fire until they engage Central Powers’ aircraft.

16. Winning Conditions:

16.1 Central Powers player wins if he destroys the balloon.

16.2 Entente player wins if he can if he lowers the balloon before it is destroyed.

17. Available Aircraft:

17.1 Entente

Auro 504c
    Bristol Scout C
    RAF BE2c
    Sopwith Tabloid
    Vickers FB5

17.2 Central Powers:

Ago C.II
    Albatros C.I
    Aviatik C.I
    Fokker E.II (upgraded to E.III standard)
    Fokker E.III
    Friedrichshafer FF33E
    Gotha G.I
    Rumpler C.I (observer gun only)

21. Variant:

22.1 Play both versions as an Entente or Central Powers pilot. All rules stay the same except as noted below:

22.1.1 Movement:

22.1.1.1 All NPC planes use Solo Movement.
    Last edited by WWIflyingace; 03-12-2014 at 14:06. Reason: Fixed typo in paragraph 5.2.3

Similar Missions

1. AAR (Chuck) Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario I)
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 03:50
  2. AAR (Chuck) Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario II)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 11:50
  3. AAR (Chuck) Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario I) 13 August 1915
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2014, 04:39
  4. Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario I - Aircraft Evaluation Mission)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 04:12
  5. Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario 2 - Combat Patrol Mission)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 13:37