Ares Games

Thread: Shallow Diving

Default Shallow Diving

I have thought of a game mechanic that would allow our planes to perform shallow dives during which they only lose one climb counter instead of a normal dive, in which they lose a peg plus all their climb counters. See what you think.

Assuming that the Altitude rules are being used, give each player one of the square, blue 'Exceptional Pilot Speed Markers' but not the 'Exceptional Pilot Ace Skill Marker'. When the pilot wants to make a shallow dive they place the 'Exceptional Pilot Speed Marker' on the dive card in place of the normal speed token. When the card and marker are revealed, it will show that it is a shallow dive and not a normal one. The plane moves the same distance, the speed marker on the consol is left at (or changed to ) Fast and the plane loses one climb counter. If it has none, then it loses a peg and receives back the number of counters in its climb rate minus one.

Shallow diving would be useful for getting below an opponents tail, avoiding collisions and for night fighters with Schrage Musick mounts.

If the 'Exceptional Pilot Ace Skill' rules are being used then give the ace an extra 'Exceptional Pilot Speed Marker' and the corresponding ace skill token with the additional instructions that the dummy card being used to repeat a maneuver must not be the dive card and they cannot perform three steep maneuvers in a row. The 'Recovery Counter Rules' would apply as normal.

Another use for the 'Exceptional Pilot Speed Markers' could be to distinguish between an 'Overdive' and a normal 'Straight' move after a normal dive. A 'Straight' with an 'Exceptional Pilot Speed Marker' would be an 'Overdive' and a 'Straight' with a normal speed marker would be a normal 'Straight'.

One problem is that the Rules and Accessories Pack only contains four 'Exceptional Pilot Speed Markers' but I suppose that if more were needed the square, blue dive-bomber markers could be given to non-dive-bombers as a substitute.

I have not had an opportunity to try this out in combat yet but I thought that I would still float the idea for your comments.

In house rule, keeping it simple, any forward move loose a climb counter but move at fast speed? Would help bombers and torpedo planes to move quicker too.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    In house rule, keeping it simple, any forward move loose a climb counter but move at fast speed? Would help bombers and torpedo planes to move quicker too.
    Sounds good to me chaps.
    But after yesterday, do you really want torpedo planes moving any faster Neil?
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I was trying to develop a system, which made it clear what the move was without giving the player chance to change their mind when the card was revealed.

Another use for a shallow dive would be in the famous heavy bomber 'corkscrew' manoeuvre - turn and dive then turn the other way and climb. A shallow dive would not penalise them heavily in terms of altitude.

Use the blank speed counter.

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    Use the blank speed counter.
    I did consider this but there are circumstances under which you would play the blank speed counter on a normal dive. For example, if the plane had its slow speed counter on its control board and the 'fast speed' counter on the first manoeuvre card (or vice versa), then you would have to play a blank counter on the second manoeuvre card, which could be a normal dive.

Similar Missions

1. Over Diving:
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 00:15
  2. Shallow Dive Maneuver (some thoughts and alternatives)
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 04:52
  3. Stuka diving...
    By Max Headroom in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 04:18
  4. Diving
    By Naharaht in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 10:41