Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters

Default Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters

Hello all.

I am starting a new campaign covering the period from August through December 1915. It will use rules, etc. established in the OTT series of campaigns. I would like to get a feel for who might be interested. I am also posting an excel file of the aircraft available in 1915.

Thank you.

Additional information:

I envision five or six scenarios. Scenarios will be generic enough to allow players to substitute aircraft if they wish. For example I may write the scenario for a Bristol Scout C versus a Albatros C.I, but players of the scenario are free to substitute a Morane Saulnier (L or N), Spad or a Nieuport 11 for the Scout if they wished as long as it was in line with the time period. The only other restriction would be substituting a fighter for a fighter, a recon plane for a recon plane, etc. (for example an Albatros C.I could be substituted for a Aviatik C.I or an Albatros C.III, but not a Fokker E.III.

Smile

Hi Chuck!
    There is already an early war solo campaign being organised by Flash.
    Details in the Campaign section in the OTT Sub Forum.

He's in it Baz ! Chucks looking to do a prequel before the campaign starts.

Sorry Chuck.
    I'm a bit too busy with getting WW2 and WWI new campaigns underway to take on another one.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I've never done one of these online campaigns, but I'm interested. Please, tell me more.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I've never done one of these online campaigns, but I'm interested. Please, tell me more.
    Basically, this is set during the beginning of the Fokker scourge. The Entente are experimenting with different ways to counter the threat (for example the Bristol Scout C had multiple gun configurations).

A scenario will be presented and the players game it solo as either the Entente or Central Powers. They write up an After Action Report for all to see and if we end up with a balanced set of players the results are presented as either an Entente or Central Powers winner. I have three scenarios written thus far, but I am willing to defer to any and all who wish to submit a scenario to the campaign. I've written each in the following format: As Entente player; As Central Power player; and, option to play both as one side.

I have a spreadsheet in the files section for download entitled 1915 aircraft listing the legal British, French and German aeroplanes and when they are eligible to come into the campaign. Battles would be on the small side. From what I have been able to gather it appears that there rarely were more than two or three planes from one side together.

Before the scourge started usually a single plane went out. After, they grouped in pairs or threes to protect each other. Even though they called it a scourge the number of aircraft lost was small. Germany's top two aces accounted for about 2/3 of the kills during the period and they each had 8 victories in January of 1916; so don't expect to score a large number of air-to-air combat wins.

Entente squadrons flew the same type aircraft (all recon, or all fighters, etc.) while the German squadrons were mixed bags; typically six recon/bombers of varied types with 1 to 3 Endeckkers (I, II or III) and scenarios would reflect that. For example one scenario has 2 Scouts against 3 recon planes with different types.

Do you have specific questions?

I am tentitively interested. Depends on how quick I can get caught up on the "Final Months" campaign & if I/we can get it in before the start of the Jan '16 campaign. I would really love to get in some 1915 action. a small mini campaign of just a half dozen scenarios or so should be just the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I am tentitively interested. Depends on how quick I can get caught up on the "Final Months" campaign & if I/we can get it in before the start of the Jan '16 campaign. I would really love to get in some 1915 action. a small mini campaign of just a half dozen scenarios or so should be just the thing.
    Well, I willing to begin right now and we could add players as we go. I guess I should have people declare their allegiance:

I am Entente...

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post
    Do you have specific questions?
    Which planes can I use?
    For instance, I have a couple AGO C.IIs that rarely get used at the game store. Can I use those?
    Or are we limited to official planes only?

Sounds interesting,
    I haven't done one of these yet, but I'm signed up for Flash's Campaign, and some practice would be good

Right now I only have Ares planes ready. Will be working on Be2's, Avro 504's, Voisin III's, Albatros C.I's & III's very soon.

Ago C.II is legal for this time period; it appeared on the front during June 1915.

I personally plan on proxying a lot. Like using Nieuport to represent the Scout or a Roland to represent an Albatros 2-seater. I have cards to represent these planes movement, just not the models in a lot of cases, but the period interests me.

I am going to post the first couple of scenarios so you guys can determine if you want to buy shapeways models or not.

For those who are fans of the Fokkers of this era there were 54 E.I, 49 E.II, 249 E.III and 49 E.IV built for the Central Powers during the war. The first victory scored by an Eindecker was August 1, 1915. During the fall of 1915, 26 British and 11 German planes were shot down in air-to-air combat. So although dominate the Eindeckers impact was not huge when put in perspective.

Hi Chuc, got your PM,
    if there are three entente (inc me) and one CP, I have enough planes to play CP to even things up.

It's up to you. I don't mind factoring the victories. Besides during this time period the Entente had more than a 2-to-1 edge in aircraft.

Automatic are the rules in the game book for Bombers and two-seaters. Solo rules are used for single seat aircraft. But, I have no problem if you want to use solo for both.

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post
    So although dominate the Eindeckers impact was not huge when put in perspective.
    There is truth in that... lends credence to the idea that the "Fokker Scourge" really wasn't...

April '17 was, however, quite "Bloody" for the RFC...

I have now posted scenarios 3 and 4. I plan on scenario 5 being the last for this mini-campaign, but who knows maybe I'll go a couple more if there's enough interest.

Campaign Status thus far:

Scenario I:

Central Powers -
    jbmacek - mission fail - 0 victories - 2 losses (1 WIA)

Entente (RFC number 6 Squadron) -
    johnbiggles - mission fail - 1 victory - 0 losses (1 WIA)
    WWIflyingace - mission success - 3 victories - 0 losses

Scenario II:

Central Powers -
    jbmacek - mission success - 2 victories - 0 losses (1 WIA)

johnbiggles - mission success - 2 victories - 0 losses
    WWIflyingace - mission success - 2 victories - 0 losses

Scenario III:

Central Powers -
    jbmacek - mission success - 1 victory - 0 losses (1 WIA)

Scenario IV:

Central Powers -
    No Report

Last edited by WWIflyingace; 04-08-2014 at 17:41.

Note: If MoonSylver starts we'll have two-on-two. Otherwise I'll just multiply the CP totals by two for the final result.

The status of the campaign so far:

Central Powers
    2 successful missions
    1 failed mission

3 victories and 2 losses

Entente
    5 successful missions
    1 failed mission
    12 victories

Weighted Results would give Central Powers
    4 successful missions
    2 failed missions
    6 victories and 4 losses

I will give the final results of the campaign on the first weekend in May as the OTT Early War Campaign starts then and you guys are in it.

I didn't see any additional AARs so the previous results are now final results.

How long is a turn?

If you go by speed, etc. depending on the aircraft you pick you can come up with anywhere between .97 and just less than 1.3 seconds per phase or less than 3 to less than 4 seconds per turn.

Anyone know for sure?

I remember reading a thread where the originator of the game came up with 4 to 6 seconds per turn, but that the closes I've come.

Similar Missions

1. WGF & WGS: Mixing Wings of Glory coastal mat with the Sails of Glory mat.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:27
  2. Dawn of Glory?
    By Niclas in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 09:14
  3. Wings of Glory and Dawn of War
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 02:22
  4. Dawn of War and Wings of War day in Ada, Ohio