Ares Games

Thread: GIANT SLAYERS

Default GIANT SLAYERS

We played our first game with the Flight of the Giants tonight.

We played cards only (no miniatures) and we played without altitude rules.

The game played exceptionally well. The special damage rules for the behemoths where smooth (though we did have to look to the rule book once to make sure we were doing the engine mechanic rules for repairing damage correct).

A couple of notes.

Zeppelin Straakens are brutes! When attacking one, go at it nose to nose, then as soon as you pass over (or under him) do an immelman type maneuver, and stay directly behind his tale. The moment you get exposed in his rear arcs of fire, say your prayers and get the hell out of there!

Anything less than a 3-1 ratio of fighters vs. a Straaken is rather foolish.

We flew two Straakens, out bond towards their target, with one Albatros D.Va close enough to support, against 5 Sopwith Camels.

Remarkably... one of the Camels took 25 damage cards before it was knocked out of the fight!

Here is a quick photo form the fight:
    Attached Images  

Thanks for the great report! The picture looks like a great battle. I had thought about putting off buying FotG until the minis come out but now...I don't know. Maybe not.

Thanks for the report! I have been meaning to make the time to run a scenario with FotG, and now I WILL make the time this weekend. Now, where did I put the new rules...

Cheers,
    KW

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    Zeppelin Straakens are brutes! When attacking one, go at it nose to nose, then as soon as you pass over (or under him) do an immelman type maneuver, and stay directly behind his tale. The moment you get exposed in his rear arcs of fire, say your prayers and get the hell out of there!

Anything less than a 3-1 ratio of fighters vs. a Straaken is rather foolish.
    So, as I expected, _FotG_ is _WoW_'s answer to _OGRE_.... :)

Looks like fun Brian. I picked my FotG up on Sunday, but have not even had time to read the rules yet. I did manage to take a quick glance at the cards as I was photographing them for a review here on the site.

Looks good. Can't wait for FoTG to be released in England
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Bring it on. We need a new challenge.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looking forward to getting a copy of FOTG, maybe some kind soul will get me one for my birthday next month.
    Looking forward to the WOW bombers as well, I will probably go mad and get a couple of each.

Don

Great report Brian!! So, did any of the Giants go down in the fight? Just curious to know what it took to bring one down if you did.

I can't wait to try FotG myself. We ordered ours a few days ago and it's in transit and scheduled to arrive on our doorstep on Aug. 2, so we won't have to wait too much longer.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    Great report Brian!! So, did any of the Giants go down in the fight? Just curious to know what it took to bring one down if you did.

I can't wait to try FotG myself. We ordered ours a few days ago and it's in transit and scheduled to arrive on our doorstep on Aug. 2, so we won't have to wait too much longer.

Scott

In two hours of flying, two of the Zeppelin Staakens succumbed to enemy fire. One of them drew the dreaded "explosion' card early in it's first flight, the other was finally overwhelmed by the swarm of Camels.

To bring down those two Bombers, five Camels fell from the sky.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

It is a mixed blessing to be in the bomber. First, it takes a lot to knock you out of the sky, but second, you are the primary target.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great game.

Looking forward to my first one next week.

By the way, for anyone who has the actual 1/144 model bombers, what is the wingspan of the Zeppelin Staaken in 1/144. I can tell you the Gotha GV is 165mm tip to tip.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    the other was finally overwhelmed by the swarm of Camels.
    What a horrible way to die -- trampled by a swarm of camels.... :)

What an epic. I am revising my plans about which planes to build next. By sheer chance I just happen to have five Camels.
    Rob.

Those Bombers rule! I can't WAT to fly those behemoths!

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Those Bombers rule! I can't WAT to fly those behemoths!

Hunter
    Yea.Hunter. Bring on the big drunk night flying insects.
    I've got to make the models now.
    Rob.

Hunter and I received Flight of the Giants today!! It's like Christmas in August!! I still haven't seen the rule book yet since Hunter got to the package first. He's reading the rules front to back. Haven't seen him this excited in a long time!!

Scott

olsen

Just a quick note:
    The rules for Flight of the giants are available for download now on the FFG-homepage

Similar Missions

1. Caproni Ca 1 to Ca5 – Giant Bombers
    By Carlos Lopes in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 00:28
  2. Siemens-Schuckert R-VIII Giant Bomber
    By LGKR in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-30-2010, 11:54