Ares Games
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1/144 WGF & 1/144 + 1/200 WGS Planes on Shapeways

First of April...
    I made this model to scale down to 1/350 for the ICOG rules - pilot included.

Single
    http://shpws.me/rDKk

Double
    http://shpws.me/rEIn

Quad
    http://shpws.me/rEIm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	674x501_1821793_2464966_1396389790.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	128410

WGF planes on Shapeways list with links updated. 17 June 2014
    Last edited by Teaticket; 06-17-2014 at 15:42.

Excel list updated today. If anyone finds any 1/144 planes missing from this list please let me know.

List updated with inverted Martinsyde S1, Louis Strange!

Fwiw, I think a few of mine may not be listed, such as my new Albatros D.IIIs, and the Zeppelin-Staaken R.IV.
    I have the day off (kids' schools closed) and I plan on messing around the Shapeways stuff. I'll double check the list and report back.

Hi John, sorry not to have updated the list with your latest planes but I didn't know. I just added your Zeppelin Staaken, SE5as and Albatross DIIIs, BE2C wingman.

I'm off to Britain for 2 weeks today and will go through the list when I return. Shapeways has a new look! There used to be a smaller link for each plane on the page but now its gone. Your list looks more organized now too. I know in the past when I looked at your 1/144 WWI list it wasn't complete. I found more of your 1/144 WWI on your complete offering list. Please let me know what I'm missing.

Daryl has a new release thread here so everyone and I can more easily keep up to date on his planes. The easier it is for me to see new releases the quicker I can update my list. Where can I find your latest creations without having to go to looking through Shapeways?

No worries. I can be a haphazard kinda guy, so when I think about it, I'll let you know if there is anything new. I've mostly been doing 1:3788 scale starships these last couple weeks, but I am just about finished with one of my WWI faves -- the Halberstadt CL.IV.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    No worries. I can be a haphazard kinda guy, so when I think about it, I'll let you know if there is anything new. I've mostly been doing 1:3788 scale starships these last couple weeks, but I am just about finished with one of my WWI faves -- the Halberstadt CL.IV.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I like Matte Gold Steel option!

Another very fine looking bird John.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I did have a guy buy something in silver once. Surprised the hell out of me.

Thanks. It's another fave, so I put a ton of time into it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kenji
    Sorties Flown

I have heard that 3D printed models tend to have a grainy surface due to the printing process.

For those of you who have purchased or own 3D printed planes I would appreciate your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
    I have heard that 3D printed models tend to have a grainy surface due to the printing process.

For those of you who have purchased or own 3D printed planes I would appreciate your feedback.
    It is true, but there are plenty of workarounds. Search the site for some of the threads. My personal favorite is a handful and dunks in Pledge, followed up with a couple coats of Krylon Triple Thick Clear (which may no longer be on the market, since I couldn't find any this weekend). I have gotten quite a few to come out so smooth, you wouldn't know they are WSF.

I think they are great additions to the game. The graininess can be minimized easily enough. I just spray 2 coats of Krylon clear, then a flat black primer and I'm good to go.

I have also found that using Clipper's method of coating whilst the first coat of varnish is still curing is a good solution to the uneven surface.
    He explains the process in his thread.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji View Post

I used few layers of Elmer's glue (as Zoe suggested in her thread), and it worked fine.

Smile

I use a Slate & tile sealer & have found one coat usually is enough for a smooth surface,
    Pic attached BE 2c's & Sop. 1 1/2 strutter in WSF.

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Sopwith Strutter.jpg  Views: 204  Size: 349.8 KB  ID: 145347" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WGF BE2c's 1.jpg  Views: 201  Size: 155.8 KB  ID: 145510" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WoG Gunbus Top.jpg   WSF Albatross D.II   B.jpg  

John, is the propeller already attached to the engine or does it have to be cut away from somewhere else on the model?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulring View Post
    John, is the propeller already attached to the engine or does it have to be cut away from somewhere else on the model?
    I do mine with the propeller attached to the engine. It's just a personal preference. Also, I don't include a peg, since I attach mine to the stand with a magnet. And for pilots I use N gauge people. You can usually find an unpainted pack of 100+ on ebay for about $5. Chop off their legs, paint 'em up, and you are good to go. At that scale the lack of head wear isn't a problem, and sometimes you get people who are waving or whatnot, which makes for a neat look.

Andy sent me a whole load of those figures from Poland some time ago and they have come in handy for no end of things.
    Rob.

An excellent comprehensive piece of work. Well done, Peter!

Thanks. It's another fave, so I put a ton of time into it.
    Nice Halberstadt and Nieuport 28s. I'll definitely be getting some of these.

List has been updated with these.

John, just found quite a few more from you and updated the list.

Now starting a WW2 list for 1/144 and 1/200.

Peter, the thread is now "stuck".

I spent far too much time on Shapeways recently trying to browse 1/144 WWI planes. I wish I had seen this before. Thank you for your work on this.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Thanks for 'sticking' it. Sorry you hadn't seen the list. Last fall I got annoyed when looking for 1/144 planes on Shapeways over and over. Finally I had enough and put the list together. Much easier to fiind what you are looking for or something new and to spend one's hard earned money now. A blessing and a curse.

Just added a Shapeways list for WW2 in 1/144 and 1/200. If I missed anything please let me know. I plan on adding AIM to the list and any other sources for 1/144 and 1/200 I can find.

The WW1 Shapeways list has had the prices updated. A few items under Accessories can't be opened at the moment but I have left them there to remind me to update them when they are available again. Items showing 'nfs' under price are not for sale at the moment.

I'll try get to the WW2 list as soon as I can.

Peter,
    do you want to add my resin wargaming planes I make?
    1/144 generally with a couple of 1/200.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The WW1 Shapeways list has had the prices updated. A few items under Accessories can't be opened at the moment but I have left them there to remind me to update them when they are available again. Items showing 'nfs' under price are not for sale at the moment.

I'll try get to the WW2 list as soon as I can.
    Thanks Peter.
    Rob.

Shapeways WWI list has been updated with a few new items.

OOPS, just noticed I uploaded the WW2 list again. I'll fix that on the 16th. Sorry!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 03-16-2015 at 06:05.

Latest WWI Shapeways list now available. Designers, if there is anything new I have missed please let me know.

10% off on Shapeways orders through Monday 20 April. Use checkout code 'THANKYOU10' .

Thanks for the Heads Up Peter.
    Rob.

Always glad to help others spend their sheckles. That way I don't feel so bad getting more planes myself.

Just updated the Shapeways WWI list as John has made his Kettering Bugs available again.

The sprue has been a problem. I beefed it up quite a bit, so fingers crossed.

I put in my order for them today. I'll let you know in a couple weeks.

I'll try ordering again tomorrow (catch the 10% off).
    I got the ones I have flying today.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Order sent; we'll see. And John; you're PM mail box is full.
    Karl

Crashed again! &@^$*%^!(
    This time they are saying the sprue connecting the bugs to the main sprue isn't thick enough. I'll file a complaint, and maybe give it one more try.
    And again, my apologies.

How do you guys feel about a built-in peg? That might be the best solution for the problem.

It would basically look like this. My original design was intended to be used with magnets, really small magnets, smaller than the type I normally use, so this might be a better all-round solution to both the sprue and the mounting issues.

The group of bugs will be at the following link once done (still need to check a few things). It will be a little more expensive due to the extra material and machine space for the peg.

http://shpws.me/HkRc

I got the bad news email from Shapeways.

If it prints with the peg that's fine with me. I thought I would mount a ball bearing like with planes but your idea of a small magnet sounds good too.

No email from Shapeways yet for me; I think I need to complain since they're costing me postage
    Karl

I used magnets on mine, and they work great.
    If the peg fixes Shapeways' issues, then go with it.
    Karl'

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I got the bad news email from Shapeways.

If it prints with the peg that's fine with me. I thought I would mount a ball bearing like with planes but your idea of a small magnet sounds good too.
    Also, I should remind you that I mounted mine on small Star Trek Attack Wing bases (I liked the notion of using smaller bases, making the bugs harder to hit). The stands for those are about 1/2 the diameter of a WoW/G stand. Hence the need for the extra small magnets.

As a thank you, I won't add any mark-up on the bugs until after you guys have ordered them. I appreciate your patience.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. General My brand new Shapeways planes
    By Baron Rolf in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 00:09
  2. Shapeways planes are getting smaller
    By Burt in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 14:51
  3. General Shapeways Planes
    By alpine in forum Shapeways Models